Radeon 6870 with triple-head
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all,

I recently built my first hackintosh (for my wife), and now, due to a need in the office (we have to develop an OSx app) the idea of build one or even two (if money allows) new machines is getting serious.

In my department it's me and my partner, and the idea would be replacing our HP Compaq 6000 Pro computers with Windows 7 (that are not suitable for hackintosh), for a customac machines with dual boot (Win7-Mountain Lion).

The price is very important, this is the truth, but we want:

-Dualhead (2 screens), and if it's possible, three (At least 2)
-A processor with at least the power of the Core 2 Quad Q6700 we have now.
-Quiet operation (I have experience on this).

Any advices? Remember the price is important, but of course, I want compatibility with OSx

Thanks in advance!!

Thank you very much, hmttony

But, to be honest, we had in mind a cheaper mobo, hahaha xD, around 600 euros per computer (Yes, I know perhaps it's impossible).

I've read that integrated HD4000 is 3 screens capable, if it's true, graphics card is not needed (Then I would like to know with mainboard supports 3 screens). And, sincerely, if HD4000 is capable only of 2, we would have to resign to two screens xD.

The processor.... the cheapest i5 ivy bridge would be ok, wouldn't it? Although, of course, if the price difference from the cheapest to a K version is not important....

In hard drives, I had in mind an SSD, 128 or 256Gb depending of the rest of components price, and in worst case, we could keep the hard drives we have now.

Regards.

I don't necessarily think that the proposed build is what you had in mind.
You don't need a 600 W enthusiast PSU, an i7 or a 6870 GPU.

I would take the cheapst quad core i5, a case with a built in 350 W PSU and no dedicated GPU. Then you will have some money left for a small SSD.
As for the mainboard: I would recommend to go with one of the Gigabyte boards mentioned in the CustoMac section as they are very easy to set up.

What do you think about this config??:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4Ghz Box Socket 1155
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 8GB 2x4GB
VGA: Integraded HD4000
HD: Samsung 830 256Gb
Case: NOX NX-1EVO
PSU: FSP Hexa 500W 80Plus
CPU Heatsink: Scythe Ninja 3 Rev.B
Additional cable:Cable DVI a HDMI M/M 1.8m

I've not select any DVD drive since we'll barely use this. I know Sony Optiarc are reccomended, but we've some HP Writers un-used... would those work??

In the processor.. there are some cheaper i5, but price difference is maximum 30 euros, and I would lost the "k" and the ability to overclock, so I think is does not make the worth.

What's the differente between Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H and Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H?? The price differente is tiny....

Will this config be able to manage 3 screens??? 1HDMI + 1DVI + 1VGA????

Many thanks in advance!

PSU is way too much. The HP optical drive might cause sleep issues. The difference between the two boards is the overclocking ability.
And at the end: No, VGA port is not working on OS X.

Check out my Zomac build in my sig. Swap out the i7 for an i3-3225 for more cost savings. Nice and small footprint. Low power. Drives 3 monitors. Everything works.

Many thanks to both!

Then, Mate94, I'm limited to 2 screens with the HD4000, am i not?? I suppose that If I want 3, I'm forced to go with a dedicated graphics card, is this correct?

Miramar, your Zomac build looks great, but how can you plug 3 screens if you're using the integrated graphics card?

Thanks!

EDIT: Now I see, Miramar, hehe, this mainboard has 2 x HDMI and 1 x Mini-DisplayPort!!. Is there any other board in this way? No matter if it's full ATX, the question is that I can't find it on a store i can buy.

I understand then, that I can use 3 screens if any of them is VGA, is correct?

Thanks again!

Many thanks to both!

Then, Mate94, I'm limited to 2 screens with the HD4000, am i not?? I suppose that If I want 3, I'm forced to go with a dedicated graphics card, is this correct?

Miramar, your Zomac build looks great, but how can you plug 3 screens if you're using the integrated graphics card?

Thanks!

EDIT: Now I see, Miramar, hehe, this mainboard has 2 x HDMI and 1 x Mini-DisplayPort!!. Is there any other board in this way? No matter if it's full ATX, the question is that I can't find it on a store i can buy.

I understand then, that I can use 3 screens if any of them is VGA, is correct?

Thanks again!

Can't help you with mATX or ATX as I'm partial to mITX builds but here's a comparison of current mITX boards which is quite complete.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/77408-z77-h77-mini-itx-board-table.html

When I started my build, I considered the Asus, Asrock, Intel and Zotac. Intel and Asus were eliminated early on. At that time Gigabyte had not released their new mITX boards. I think most of them support 3 monitors with a combo of DVI, HDMI and DP. The Zotac is the only one with a miniDP just like a real Mac. The Asrock, Asus and Intel ones have DP. DP supports up to 2560x1600, good for the new 27" & 30" monitors. Asrock have an mSATA port too but it's on the underside of the motherboard. Asus is really expensive, here it is 50% more than the Zotac. Intel is fairly cheap and is the only one with onbaord FW800 but I was not confident with installing OS X on it.

Gigabyte is the only one where you don't need a patched BIOS to bypass the locked MSR.

I don't think VGA will work. On the GA-B75M, you can use the VGA for installation but once graphics acceleration kicks in for the HD4000, the VGA port no longer works. By the way, that's a very compatible and cheap mATX board. Only con is that it has only 1 SATA3 port.

Many thanks for the answer, Miramar.

Que problem is that getting a motherboard with 3 screens connectors (where none of them is VGA) is not enought, because the main aim is that the motherboard has to be the most "mountain lion compatible" as possible.

This is the reason I don't want to get a motherboard with will not be one of the reccomended ones or someone will have test it and I know it works with ML.

I could get your motherboard, my problem is that this computer is not for me, is for the company, and buying in amazon is not allowed because of payment method, so I'm restricted to spanish shops like Pccomponentes, where variety is not as good as amazon.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back