CPU
I7 4790K
Graphics
Onboard
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I've been researching hackintoshes for a while now and this is the build i've come up with:

CPU - i7-4770K
Motherboard - Z87-HD3
RAM - 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
GFX - HD4600 Onboard Graphics
System Drive - 128GB OCZ Vertex SSD X2 - MAC OSX ON ONE, WINDOWS ON OTHER
Storage - 1TB HDD
Case - Sharkoon VS3-V Chrome ATX Case
PSU - CiT 450W 12cm Fan PSU
Cooler - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Wifi - TP Link WDN4800

I've just got a few qeustions to ask:

Will all these parts work?
I'm looking to overclock and was wondering if the cooler/power supply will be good enough?
If the GFX will affect performance of the machine?
My motherboard supports USB 3.0 but I'm interested in thunderbolt, what is the difference in both?
Can I get a cheaper wifi card?
is the 4771 better than the 4770K?

Thanks for all the help

I've been researching hackintoshes for a while now and this is the build i've come up with:

CPU - i7-4770K
Motherboard - Z87-HD3
RAM - 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
GFX - HD4600 Onboard Graphics
System Drive - 128GB OCZ Vertex SSD X2 - MAC OSX ON ONE, WINDOWS ON OTHER
Storage - 1TB HDD
Case - Sharkoon VS3-V Chrome ATX Case
PSU - CiT 450W 12cm Fan PSU
Cooler - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Wifi - TP Link WDN4800

I've just got a few qeustions to ask:

Will all these parts work?

Yes

I'm looking to overclock and was wondering if the cooler/power supply will be good enough?

You would be well advised at buying a quality performance cooler to properly facilitate cooling an over clocked CPU. The CiT 450W PSU might be fine for a cheap office/home PC - it is not at all suited to the performance/over clocking environments that demand a PSU to be able to supply the correct voltage and current at the presses point that high quality components require them.

If the GFX will affect performance of the machine?

Yes, if you require to use photoshop and other graphical apps then they might well work better with a separate GPU rather than just the onboard graphics. It may be worth making do with what you have and wait until you have saved for the card that you really need. Many of last years cards are no longer easy to get and the new replacements are also not yet available from the manufactures.

My motherboard supports USB 3.0 but I'm interested in thunderbolt, what is the difference in both?

USB 3 is mainly for removable small storage devices like memory sticks. ThunderBolt is a predominantly professional connection for interconnecting many different devices. At present that list includes connection to monitors, external mass storage for fast access/archive. Expect an explosion in this area. It will remain more expensive as Thunderbolt is aimed at professional markets rather than the larger consumer market.

Can I get a cheaper wifi card?

There is a Roswell listed in the buyers guide that is a little cheaper. Some people do use cheaper card but with each update they have been left struggling to get the cards running again. The aggro isn't worth it for most of us who prefer things to just work.

is the 4771 better than the 4770K?

Us the 'K' version if you wish to over clock as it is the only one of the two that is suitable.

Good Luck

Adrian B

Wow! Thanks you so much I really appreciate it, do you think the corsair water cooler will be fine, and any ideas on what power supply I should buy?

A Corsair water cooler would be a great long term cooler to purchase - however I would change the case for one that was able to vent out the top of the case if you wish to use a water cooler with a radiator (venting out of the rear can be fine if there is sufficient space). Remember hot air rises naturally and that is the easiest way to vent it too. :thumbup:

PSU recommendations - its a subject all on its own - here is some small amount of thought on this:
http://www.scan.co.uk/tekspek/power-supplies/psus-(power-supply-units)
Here is a further twelve pages of handy info when you have a chance to sit down and absorb:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913.html

I will cut to the chase and answer your original question. Two consistent quality manufacturing brands are Seasonic and FSP. I would love to own one of the fanless Seasonic PSUs, these cost about the same as one of the budget i5 processors.

Corsair and be quiet (German brand) both design, but chose which manufacturer makes individual models. They have both got an excellent reputation for power supplies.

I would recommend as a basic option to have a Corsair CX500/CX500M as an absolute basic option. This would be a base level decision. A TX or HX around 650w would be better, not for the higher wattage - just for the quality of components used. If you were to start with a CX, you can later upgrade to a better PSU and use the CX as a spare or for a second builds required.

Gold and Platinum specced PSUs are worth the cost in electricity consumption over their life time. They also tend to run quieter and are certainly not cheap to buy - the savings are made over the long term.

Adrian B

Here's a really handy list to keep bookmarked:

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Tier one PSUs are generally overkill unless you're a pro overclocker or just very wealthy.

Tier two has some of the best quality at a decent price though not low cost.

Tier two B if you're on a budget.

Three, Four and Five are best avoided especially five, run from those if you can,
they'll give you much trouble for the small amount of money they cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back