Graphics
9500 GT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Quick recap. My first Mavericks install was an update from Snow Leopard, DSDT-free. That was problematic (about a hundred kext compatibility errors - leftovers from Snow Leopard I would assume) so I wiped the drive and did a clean install with DSDT. Same problem with Multibeast either way.

Multibeast will not create the Extra/Extensions folder. It creates everything else, it installs Chameleon no problem. But I cannot install ANY kexts to customize my system with it! In my SL->Mavericks update Multibeast would report success the first time (and install the boot loader) but the second time I'd run it Multibeast would give a failure notice (and the Console would just say "unexpected error" not what it was). On the clean install Multibeast keeps reporting success, but never actually installs any kexts. Thus NO error messages in the log.

I ended up dragging the Extra/Extensions folder from my installer USB to my HD which at least let me boot off my HD. I tried Multibeast again, now that the Extensions folder existed. As before Multibeast reports "Success" with a big, happy check mark. But it doesn't ACTUALLY install anything. It doesn't actually PATCH anything (I need to patch the AppleRTC). Is this some kind of permissions issue? If so, why does it report successful installs and why doesn't he log in the console show any "permission denied" errors? Here are the permissions on the folders:

Extra [ Me (rw), wheel (r), everyone (r)]
-->DSDT.aml [Me (rw), admin (r), everyone (r)]
-->Extensions [Me (rw), wheel (r), everyone (r)] <-- this is the folder I manually copied from the USB drive
-->--> All kexts are Me (rw), wheel (r), everyone (r)
-->modules [Me (rw), staff (r), everyone(r)]
-->-->Keylayout.dylib [ Me (rw), staff (r), everyone (r) ]
-->org.chamelon.Boot.plist [ Me (rw), staff (r), everyone (r) ]
-->smbios.plist [ Me (rw), staff (r), everyone (r) ]
-->Themes [Me (rw), staff (r), everyone(r)]
-->-->Default [Me (rw), staff (r), everyone(r)]

So, should I change the "Extensions" folder to the same permissions as the other sub-folders, or leave it at the same as the "Extra" folder (which Multibeast created so presumably it can access folders with those permissions, right?)

Because Multibeast wouldn't work, and because it is now a Cocoa app, I went to "Show Contents-->Resources" and used Pacifist to extract the kexts I needed from the .pkg files. The only one that isn't working for me is the 889 audio. Do I need HDAenabler 1 or 2 (I'm guessing 1=with DSDT and 2=DSDT-free?) in there as well? Do I need Legacy889? I know I had to use a 10.6.3 rollback before, but didn't see anything about that in the Multibeast options.

I also tried running the AppleRTC patching executable via the terminal but it failed saying S/L/E permission denied. I don't see that same message in the Console when I run that same patch with Multibeast. Multibeast gives me a progress bar and reports success. No idea if it actually patched the damned thing or not. How would I tell? Modified date/time different from created I'd assume, in which case, no, Multibeast isn't patching it.

Ok, I finally got my sound working by installing the 889 DSDT-free version (even though I'm using a DSDT). For reasons still unknown Multibeast can't seem to do anything with the files in Extra/ which means the DSDT Audio install can't patch the DSDT.aml file (I assume if it was patching it I'd see the modify date change when I pull up file info).

I even added my user name with read/write permissions to the Extra folder because I wondered if it was some kind of authentication problem (though why I'm still not seeing any "permission denied" errors in the console I don't know).

Nonetheless, Multibeast CAN install kexts in S/L/E so this time I selected the DSDT-free audio fix and, since those go there instead of the Extra/Extensions folder it worked. But I'd love to know why Multibeast can't seem to do anything with a file it created in a folder it created. And why am I apparently the only person who has encountered this problem (on both an update from SL and a clean install)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back