HD 7970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 20th Anniv. Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My Hackintosh is based on an ASUS Sabertooth X58 board with a Core i7-980X CPU and NVIDIA GTX 270 video card.

It's been running Lion pretty well. There was that contretemps with the 10.7.4 upgrade, finally solved by using kExt Wizard to install the old AppleACPIPPlatform.kext file.

Although my boot volume is a 512GB SSD, I keep a separate hard disk called "Fallback" that I can test new system updates on and boot from if I manage to nuke my main volume. So when I booted from a UniBeast/Mountain Lion USB key and installed Mountain Lion on "Fallback" and rebooted with no problems, I thought "Great! Now to update my boot drive."

Ah, but such things are never this simple in the Hackintosh world. The Mountain Lion update rendered my boot drive unbootable. As you can see from the first image of a verbose boot from the newly-upgraded SSD, things just stop right after IOAPIC notice. The second image shows a successful Mountain Lion boot from "Fallback", and the very next thing that SHOULD have appeared on the SSD boot is "ACPI: System State", so perhaps it's a power problem.

(I thought it might be a SATA port issue, since the SSD is on a third-part 6G port and the hard disk is on an Intel 3G port, but switching the devices didn't change anything.)

So it's somewhat of a mystery to me. Same system software, newly-installed in both cases. Works from the hard disk and fails from the SSD. Any ideas?

Attachments

• ssd_boot_failure.jpg
    ssd_boot_failure.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 133
  • successful_boot.jpg
    successful_boot.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 114
Same here. I have the same issue. Boots just fine from another drive. ML fails to boot from the SSD with my 550ti installed.

J

Well, that is just weird...but at least it's happening to someone else. With completely different MB and processor, too. What SSD are you using? I'm using an OCZ Octane.

Sandisk on my side. Works great in 10.7.4!

J

I have the same problem. I tried 1-2 times and it worked okay before the kernel panic. But after I did clean installation, it did not boot from SSD anymore.

I had to use USB in order to boot OSX drive otherwise it will not boot.

I tried switching SATA port, leaving SSD drive alone in system, but system was unable to detect SSD drive.

I thought it was SSD problem.... it was OCZ Vertex 4, I sent it back and asked for a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back