Contribute
Register

MSI PRO Z690 A DDR4 + i7-12700K + AMD RX 580

My Hachintosh (MSI 660 motherboard-12600 CPU) have the 4 RAM slots filled with 16GB sticks for a total of 64GB. Works perfect with XMP not enabled. If I enable XMP, I have random rebooting or errors. If I use only two memory sticks, I can use XMP without problems. So no XMP for me. I loose some potential memory bandwidth (a few points in Geekbench) but the hack is rock solid every day.
Just because you are not using XMP does not mean you cannot clock the memory manually to get the full speed.

Just because you are not using XMP does not mean you cannot clock the memory manually to get the full speed.
Right!. Truth is, this machine is fast enought for my use, so I didn't feel the need to tune it further. Perhaps in the future.

My Hachintosh (MSI 660 motherboard-12600 CPU) have the 4 RAM slots filled with 16GB sticks for a total of 64GB. Works perfect with XMP not enabled. If I enable XMP, I have random rebooting or errors. If I use only two memory sticks, I can use XMP without problems. So no XMP for me. I loose some potential memory bandwidth (a few points in Geekbench) but the hack is rock solid every day.
XMP works fine if you have nice memory, i had same problem when i found that 2 of 4 banks was Chinese with strange XMP prof. Double check if you got same mem all 4 banks (and xmp's too). Especially if you got them 2x2 at different time

You may want to rewrite this part as it does not make a lot of sense so it is hard to respond to it.
I mean, I need a speed of 3200 RAM, and the problem of random restarts, after disabling XMP RAM, returned after a few days.
This is true, but there is a problem when XMP is on or off. This means that the problem is probably from somewhere else
-------------------
A short description so far for someone who might have a similar problem:

1- I checked the backplate carefully and there was no non-virtual contact and it was not a problem with the backplate.

2-For about 9 hours, I tested the memory with the MemTest86 software single and multi in XMP mode, it happened twice between restarts, but in the end, after 6 passes, no error was found. I think the problem is not with RAM and XMP profile.

3- I downgrade the BIOS of the motherboard to the old version (the original version I had), and the problem was not solved. Of course, I realized that MSI removed one of the BIOS versions that had the most bugs from the site!

4- I read in the Windows eventvwr section that displays Windows errors that the reason for the restart is lack of power (Kernel Power 41 (63 Windows 11)). After searching, I realized that this error is often for power or RAM or a hardware that protocols Enables power security

5- I have 2 PSUs of exactly the same. I replaced the PSU some time ago, and it is unlikely that both of my psu are damaged. So this time I replaced all the power cables.

For now, the problem is solved (everything is fine with a change for a few days), but I will test again for a few days and update this post again.

In the next step if the problem is not resolved. I have heard a few places about fan hubs being incompatible with 690 motherboards. Currently, I am using a deepcool fan hub and in the next step I will remove this part - but I think this is unlikely because sometimes the PC turns off within a few seconds of turning on, and this really looks like a power problem.

Last edited:
I read a lot of "why hackintosh" on forums. Here's why--I haven't had a single issue with this session. The slowest part is the initial opening or copying of an Acustica plugin but once on it's like anything else.

I don't post a lot here, and that's because I'm very busy using the machine but I thought it's worth reminding people what you can do and why it makes sense to invest time learning how to build and maintain a hackintosh and to create run-on sentences.

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 1.48.10 PM.png

I read a lot of "why hackintosh" on forums. Here's why--I haven't had a single issue with this session. The slowest part is the initial opening or copying of an Acustica plugin but once on it's like anything else.

I don't post a lot here, and that's because I'm very busy using the machine but I thought it's worth reminding people what you can do and why it makes sense to invest time learning how to build and maintain a hackintosh and to create run-on sentences.
There are a lot of reasons why... But over the past year I have found the experience is not completely the same as it is with an Official Mac.

The Main thing I noticed is how much better continuity and universal control work with two Macs.
The Fear that something will brake if you update (Sonoma R.I.P Native Wifi)
Space under my Desk thus cleaner office
Less money in my bank account

There are a lot of reasons why... But over the past year I have found the experience is not completely the same as it is with an Official Mac.

The Main thing I noticed is how much better continuity and universal control work with two Macs.
The Fear that something will brake if you update (Sonoma R.I.P Native WiFi)
Space under my Desk thus cleaner office
Less money in my bank account

Wifi was definitely the first time I've felt "hacky" doing this to the point where I have disabled wifi completely and am fully on Ethernet. Fenvi is just a Bluetooth card now, for me. I don't like using OCLP either, though I understand why some might--I prefer not to touch macOS.

Also, turns out my wifi card was causing me crazy noise in my mixes!

Also, turns out my wifi card was causing me crazy noise in my mixes!
Anything on the buss might cause noise in your mixes.
Wifi was definitely the first time I've felt "hacky" doing this to the point where I have disabled wifi completely and am fully on Ethernet.
I never felt that way either when I got my laptop. I started using the laptop on the Studio Display and my hack on one of the 4K monitors. Universal control worked but I felt like to dropped out a lot. Now I use a 2018 Mac Mini and my Mac book pro, and the universal control never drops out, even when my iPad gets put into the mix. (I know first world problems.)

I have a Powercolor 6650XT w/ Z690 MSI Force motherboard. As soon as the windows drivers load, the screen goes black and windows reports a problem with the video card. I found multiple posts on another forum regarding this same issue. Seems to be an incompatibility between the Powercolor 6650XT and MSI motherboards. The odd thing is if you put the card in slot 2, it works fine. The problem is then it hits my thunderbolt card, and I can't move my thunderbolt card as the SSDT is configured for slot 3. I figure that has to be some bios setting that fixes it, but so far haven't found it. If I try to spoof the 6650 XT to get it to load the 6600XT drivers on Mac, then the system reboots before it gets to the Mac login screen, but again works fine if I put the card in slot 2. It does work if I don't spoof, but then I have no acceleration. My RX 590 works fine is slot 1, which is what I am currently using. I was hoping to upgrade, but so far no luck.

I saw in another post recently where someone suggested a PCIe riser cable so you could use the second slot and not conflict with room for you Thunderbolt card. You would just have to figure out how to mount card though which could be tricky.
Another suggestion is to find the setting in you BIOS that changes the PCIe generation supported by the top slot. No guarantee but if you were able to change it form what is likely 4.0 as default to 3.0 it might be recognized.

Back