i5-3470T
Graphics
HD 2500
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm using this guide for switching over from FakeSMC to VirtualSMC but it doesn't seem like VirtualSMC is loading properly.
@Fabrizzioa04 @FriFlo

You can both benefit from the same instructions so here goes:

*** Mini-Guide: How to Replace FakeSMC with VirtualSMC ***
  1. Make a full bootable backup of the current system. This is your insurance.
  2. First we need to remove FakeSMC from 2 places:
    • Place #1: /Library/Extensions folder
      • Use Finder to move FakeSMC.kext and all of the FakeSMC_Sensor*.kext files (should be 5 of them) to your Desktop or Documents or Downloads folder. Just get them out of /Library/Extensions, but save a copy so you can restore them later if needed.
      • The run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache.
    • Place #2: CLOVER/kexts/Other folder
      • Mount EFI Partition of the Mojave SSD using "Mount EFI" option in Clover Configurator (on the left side panel).
      • An "EFI" disk icon will appear. Go to the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
      • Move FakeSMC.kext and any FakeSMC_Sensor*.kext files to some location on your Mojave SSD (Desktop, Documents, Downloads).
      • Then open the EFi/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder (or EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI for Clover v4988 or newer) and move SMCHelper.efi to the same location on your Mojave SSD.
  3. Now we need to download VirtualSMC.
    • Download the latest 1.0.6 release by clicking here. Specifically, get the file called 1.0.6.RELEASE.zip
    • MacOS should automatically unzip the files into a folder called "1" or "1-1" or something like that.
  4. Install VirtualSMC as follows:
    • Make sure the EFI Partition of Mojave SSD is still mounted (see Step 2, Place #2).
    • Now take a look at the folders and files in the VirtualSMC folder that you just downloaded. It should look like this:
      View attachment 417385
    • Copy the green box item (VirtualSmc.efi) to the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder (or CLOVER/drivers/UEFI for Clover v4988 and newer).
    • Copy the red box items to CLOVER/kexts/Other.
  5. Note that iStat Menus will not currently show all of the fans. It may show at most one. So instead of iStat Menus, please use HWMonitorSMC2. The latest version can always be downloaded from here (the HWSensors3package):
  6. Reboot.

I've attached images of the hackintool after installing and repairing permissions for the kexts in the L/E folder. I've also attached a photo of where in the boot it gets hung up as well as my EFI folder. Any thoughts?!

Attachments

• EFI 20190826.zip
    17.1 MB · Views: 392
  • IMG_20190826_133857455.jpg
    IMG_20190826_133857455.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 1,320
  • IMG_20190826_133340259.jpg
    IMG_20190826_133340259.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 1,215
  • IMG_20190826_133220612.jpg
    IMG_20190826_133220612.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1,130
I'm using this guide for switching over from FakeSMC to VirtualSMC but it doesn't seem like VirtualSMC is loading properly.

I've attached images of the hackintool after installing and repairing permissions for the kexts in the L/E folder. I've also attached a photo of where in the boot it gets hung up as well as my EFI folder. Any thoughts?!
How and where to install kexts:

next time
Use this tool and upload your problem reporting files:

How and where to install kexts:

I took a look at this post yesterday and it was very helpful for understanding the installation of kexts. I followed it about as closely as I could but I'll take another look.

Use this tool and upload your problem reporting files:

I ran the tool and attached is the debug zip file.

Attachments

• debug_31987.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 145
you
I took a look at this post yesterday and it was very helpful for understanding the installation of kexts. I followed it about as closely as I could but I'll take another look.

I ran the tool and attached is the debug zip file.
can see form your kextcache output you have issues with your kexts:

Code:
Prelink failed for as.vit9696.VirtualSMC; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Can't use /Library/Extensions/VirtualSMC.kext - not linked.
Prelink failed for as.vit9696.SMCProcessor; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Can't use /Library/Extensions/VirtualSMC.kext - not linked.
Prelink failed for ru.joedm.SMCSuperIO; omitting from prelinked kernel.

go back and read the guide on installing kexts

Lilu was updated a few weeks ago from before I did my first install. Deleting and reinstalling the updated version worked. Thanks for the help @Feartech

Hi @Sparty ,

I have been able to migrate from FakeSMC to VirtualSMC following your guide - only after few attempts.

The problem was that I tried first to use a newer version of VirtualSMC (the current 1.1.4) but I never been able to boot, using the 1.0.6 version you mentioned above it worked.

Now, I would like to update the the VirtualSMC to the last version but I'm not sure how to do it.

In the 1.1.4 the VirtualSMC.efi file is not included, I'm not sure why.
I tried without it and the system didn't boot.
I tried leaving the old VirtualSMC.efi from version 1.0.6, again it didn't boot.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong about the VirtualSMC.efi part but I couldn't figure out what.

Do you know what I am doing wrong?

Last edited:
Where are you putting the kexts? If it's in /Library/Extensions you can't just drag and drop it, you actually have to use something like Hackintool (see post #2) to install them.

In the 1.1.4 the VirtualSMC.efi file is not included, I'm not sure why.
Download the releases zip file here and you'll see it in the kexts folder.

Also, remember that VirtualSMC depends on Lilu to work so when I update VirtualSMC, I always grab the most updated version of Lilu (here) and even Whatevergreen (if you're using that).

Many thanks for your answer, I really appreciated it.

Where are you putting the kexts? If it's in /Library/Extensions you can't just drag and drop it, you actually have to use something like Hackintool (see post #2) to install them.

I ingesting all my kexts from the EFI partition, I may migrate everything in the future to L/S but it worked fine until now.

Download the releases zip file here and you'll see it in the kexts folder.

I used that link to download the 1.1.4 (I was doing that even before) but I still don't get the "VirtualSMC.efi"
As you can see here from the picture, the Driver folder is missing on the 1.1.4 version and so the "VirtualSMC.efi"as well.

Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 12.39.02.png
For to be honest I checked all the previous version in between 1.0.6 and 1.1.4.
The driver folder started missing since 1.1.0.

The only one that allow me to boot my system is the 1.0.6 following you guide above.

Also, remember that VirtualSMC depends on Lilu to work so when I update VirtualSMC, I always grab the most updated version of Lilu (here) and even Whatevergreen (if you're using that).

Yes, I also updated clover bootloader yesterday before starting your guide, Lilu and Whatevergreen are updated at the last version too.

That's what happens during the boot:
IMG_20200624_113015.jpg

I ingesting all my kexts from the EFI partition, I may migrate everything in the future to L/S but it worked fine until now.
I know for Mojave /L/E is highly recommended but for Catalina, it's the opposite so it really depends on what you're running.

I used that link to download the 1.1.4 (I was doing that even before) but I still don't get the "VirtualSMC.efi"
As you can see here from the picture, the Driver folder is missing on the 1.1.4 version and so the "VirtualSMC.efi"as well.
I never remembered seeing a VirtualSMC driver and I just checked, my EFI doesn't have one. I think the VirtualSMC kext (in EFI/kext/other) is the only thing you need (in addition to the Lilu kext).

That's what happens during the boot:
I saw this a lot when the VirtualSMC kext wasn't loading properly.

I know for Mojave /L/E is highly recommended but for Catalina, it's the opposite so it really depends on what you're running.

I never remembered seeing a VirtualSMC driver and I just checked, my EFI doesn't have one. I think the VirtualSMC kext (in EFI/kext/other) is the only thing you need (in addition to the Lilu kext).

I saw this a lot when the VirtualSMC kext wasn't loading properly.

I'm running Mojave 10.14.6, so far it was quite smooth but maybe the reason is the kexts location, I'll try that soon.
Thanks for the help anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back