Contribute
Register

Move OSX from USB drive to internal drive partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have sucessfully installed Snow Leopard to an extenal USB drive. I use iBoot in my DVD player to select OSX at bootup and it works well. Contributed a few digits to tonymac (you should too).

My question is, is it possible to transfer the OSX from the USB drive to an internal partition on my one and only hard drive?

My laptop has a single hard drive with two partitions. The drive is formated as MBR.

At this moment, evertthing is working well (no firewire yet and still need to boot from DVD)

Can it be done?

The reason I ask is, I could not get OSX to install on my MBR formated partition. I know it is possible, but I failed at it. Also, my laptop has restore disks that insist on reformatting the entire drive with only one partitiopn, so I am limited to installing Windows first, then OSX.

P.S., this site and its users rock. I feel smarter when ever I log on.

The easiest way would be to use Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Then you can run MultiBeast if you want to boot directly from you internal drive or you could continue to use your iboot CD

niclasc, you are correct sir.

In my case, the Win 7 restore disc that came with my laptop was not helping at all. I was able to install OSX to an external fire-wire drive, but getting OSX to play nice with Windows 7 on the internal hard drive just did not work. So for me, the solution was to use a retail Win 7 install disc, not the one that came with my laptop. I got the family 3 pack win 7 update disc, and with a registry hack, made it think it was a fresh install, then I used Super Duper to copy my OSX install from external USB drive to internal hard drive. (only one hard drive in this laptop).

Working good now. Wifi and fire wire port not happening yet, but everything else is good.

THANKS to niclasc and the man TONY for all your help.

Moved to the correct forum, Laptop Support.

I think I had the same problem (at first) with my Win disc too. It would NOT let me install on a GUID disc. AFTER I installed OSX once, I forgot about the trouble and tries again and it worked! I think it had something to do with the OSX install creating a valid EFI and Win 7 x64 supporting EFI. <-- random guess.
If you are using 32 bit though, you are stuck with the MBR (maybe).

You should be able to copy over your OSX install however you like (Disc Utility even), but you need to make the disc bootable after you finish the copy. The Dual Install guide on the blog here has a GPT example, but I think you'll have to look around for the command line to make the MBR partition active, since EasyBCD isn't picking it up..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back