Contribute
Register

Mountain lion works perfectly but cannot boot without unibeast usb

Status
Not open for further replies.
When booting from partitions the bootloader will always run from the first partition regardless of which is set to primary.
So if you need to reinstall chimera make sure you install on partition 0.

I try not to boot more than one version of OSX per disk if i can avoid :)

well if u install user dsdt or dsdt then without usb u are boot in. but everytime u boot in.. select ur harddrive and then u can boot in ur OS

I boot into my bootloader with Windows7, Ubuntu12.04, Macosx Lion, Macosx Mountain lion. You can manipulate the loaders on all the partitions easily and tell them all where to go. Of course windows bootloader sucks and can't do much but with Ubuntu and Chimera you can do whatever you want.

I will go check what bootloader I am using right now and post it back hopefully with a link so you guys can try mine, it works fine.

I'm trying to get my ethernet up in mac Lion...it just failed for some reason so I will post back then.

I try not to boot more than one version of OSX per disk if i can avoid :)

Me too and this seems to be the trick to this. Can get a bit messy and complicated on the same HD,

good luck!

I'm having issues with my gf's Dell 17R (N7110) i3. I've read posts that say that These can only boot MBR, however, ML wont install to MBR so I had to use GUID, now I can't boot with the USB that I used for install. I've tried all sorts of things. Boots fine with it, just not without. Says "Operation System Not Found"

I had the same issue. Literally just got it working. UniBeast has a couple of boot options preset. Not sure how much this changes with your different configurations or how much of what i did was absolutely necessary but here's how I got it working.

1. Loaded ML with Unibeast
2. Installed Chimera 2.0.1 (needed iMessage fix)
3. openned Terminal and input this command: defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
4. went to the USB drive that I had unibeast installed on and copied the following
/USB/Extra/Extensions > /HDD/Extra/Extensions
/USB/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist > /HDD/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Afterwards I adjusted minor settings the way I want but here's what seems to have been the issue. PCIRoot=1 does not work. The code inside of Boot.plist of unibeast is PCIRootUID=1. After copying over the files I used chameleon wizard to change the options the way I wanted and noticed that although the OS finally loaded it wasnt recognizing the USB drives so I deleted /HDD/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHPET.kext and booted with -f to refresh everything. Now I'm working flawlessly.

Hope this helps. Pay it forward

I had the same issue. Literally just got it working. UniBeast has a couple of boot options preset. Not sure how much this changes with your different configurations or how much of what i did was absolutely necessary but here's how I got it working.

1. Loaded ML with Unibeast
2. Installed Chimera 2.0.1 (needed iMessage fix)
3. openned Terminal and input this command: defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
4. went to the USB drive that I had unibeast installed on and copied the following
/USB/Extra/Extensions > /HDD/Extra/Extensions
/USB/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist > /HDD/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Afterwards I adjusted minor settings the way I want but here's what seems to have been the issue. PCIRoot=1 does not work. The code inside of Boot.plist of unibeast is PCIRootUID=1. After copying over the files I used chameleon wizard to change the options the way I wanted and noticed that although the OS finally loaded it wasnt recognizing the USB drives so I deleted /HDD/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHPET.kext and booted with -f to refresh everything. Now I'm working flawlessly.

Hope this helps. Pay it forward

I tried following this approach, but if I don't have my Unibeast USB plugged in I still get boot error. You mentioned using chameleon wizard, but you never mentioned installing chameleon. You only mention chimera. Am I missing something?

Chimera is based off Chameleon, therefore you can use Chameleon Wizard when your bootloader is Chimera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back