Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on ASUS G74sx from start to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
(

I used DSDT directely on my Asus G74sx (i know it was intended for the g73jh, that was a foolish move from me :D) now im on boot stuck with no working safemode to put again the old DSDT, any suggestions ?

That's a big no-no. Only use a DSDT from your own machine. Preferably extracted and patched by you... And definitely not a DSDT from another model. DSDTs are almost always specific to computer models... and sometimes individual computers!

But as far as fixing it, if you have your old /Extra/dsdt.aml backed up somewhere, you simply restore it. If you can boot with DSDT=No (type it at Chimera boot screen -- and it is case sensitive), then maybe you can restore it. Or you can boot from you Unibeast USB flash drive and use Terminal to restore it.

What you want to do is apply the 07_KeyBacklight.txt patch to your *own* DSDT using MaciASL (or DSDT Editor). And you probably want to have a read of the thread, so you understand what to look for in your DSDT (although if it compiles after applying the patch, then your computer is likely using the same methods) and if your keyboard backlight behaves the same way (4 states: three on steps and off).

But always have a backup of important files before replacing them, and a strategy for fixing things should it go badly...

Ok a little confused, arent we suppose to use multibeast with the dsdt?

That's a big no-no. Only use a DSDT from your own machine. Preferably extracted and patched by you... And definitely not a DSDT from another model. DSDTs are almost always specific to computer models... and sometimes individual computers!

But as far as fixing it, if you have your old /Extra/dsdt.aml backed up somewhere, you simply restore it. If you can boot with DSDT=No (type it at Chimera boot screen -- and it is case sensitive), then maybe you can restore it. Or you can boot from you Unibeast USB flash drive and use Terminal to restore it.

What you want to do is apply the 07_KeyBacklight.txt patch to your *own* DSDT using MaciASL (or DSDT Editor). And you probably want to have a read of the thread, so you understand what to look for in your DSDT (although if it compiles after applying the patch, then your computer is likely using the same methods) and if your keyboard backlight behaves the same way (4 states: three on steps and off).

But always have a backup of important files before replacing them, and a strategy for fixing things should it go badly...

Well, your method and theory worked. Alt+Ctrl+(+/-) works on my G74sx although it's in boot stuck, anyway i'll try to edit my DSDT, again, thanks man.

Ok a little confused, arent we suppose to use multibeast with the dsdt?

All Multibeast does with dsdt.aml on the desktop is copy it to /Extra/dsdt.aml. So, to do something with your DSDT, you don't really need Multibeast. It is just a simple file copy or file edit.

MaciASL is an excellent DSDT editor (in beta). But you can also use DSDT Editor to edit/patch a DSDT.

What exactly did you do? And did booting with DSDT=No work?

Well, your method and theory worked. Alt+Ctrl+(+/-) works on my G74sx although it's in boot stuck, anyway i'll try to edit my DSDT, again, thanks man.

How did you verify it works if you can't boot? Just wondering...

All Multibeast does with dsdt.aml on the desktop is copy it to /Extra/dsdt.aml. So, to do something with your DSDT, you don't really need Multibeast. It is just a simple file copy or file edit.

MaciASL is an excellent DSDT editor (in beta). But you can also use DSDT Editor to edit/patch a DSDT.

What exactly did you do? And did booting with DSDT=No work?

Yes it worked, now I'm downloading DSDT editor, and i'll try to edit my own dsdt, but i've never done anything related before, but it's ok for me because i've backup of everything and i can always boot with DSDT=No, thanks to you !

So it seems i was able to get almost everything working except the wireless. It seems to be there yet when i try to connect to a network
then it just ends up with an exclamation point.

So it seems i was able to get almost everything working except the wireless. It seems to be there yet when i try to connect to a network
then it just ends up with an exclamation point.

I previously explained this :D,
To get Wifi to work, you must have a router/access point signal is set to b or b/g mixed, wireless N doesn't work with it, and i don't know why ! :( maybe the 2.4 GHz doesn't work with it, it only detects 5 GHz or vice versa.

I have both 2.4ghz and 5ghz and the laptop can see the 2.4ghz but i try to connect to it and it just shows exclamation point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back