Contribute
Register

Motherboard selection - new hackintosh (Crossfire ready?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi.
I'm getting ready to build a Hackintosh and was wondering if since the new Mac Pro can have 2 ATI Radeon 5570's, does this mean that i can do the same with my hackintosh and it will be Nativity supported. If so, what motherboard is supported under the DSDT database and allow me to do this?

(Sorry for nooby personality.. Hopefully it will get better as i learn more :))

novagoogledude said:
Hi.
I'm getting ready to build a Hackintosh and was wondering if since the new Mac Pro can have 2 ATI Radeon 5770's, does this mean that i can do the same with my hackintosh and it will be Nativity supported. If so, what motherboard is supported under the DSDT database and allow me to do this?

You can get two of any GPUs working, but AMD cards tend to be more compatible in multi-GPU Hack setups (even 6XXX series work, so long as you don't pick a 6770 or 6750). However, this isn't Crossfire (or SLI, if Nvidia), because each graphics card is running independent of the other. If you read under the "more info" part of the Mac Pro's GPU section when you're customizing it, you'll see that all the dual-5770s get you is more displays, not more power.

Any motherboard that supports 2 PCIe slots at x8 (or x16 if you budget supports it) is fine as long as you've read about other people doing builds with it successfully. If you're doing Ivy (iX-3XXX) and are on a budget I (and Tony) would suggest the Z77-DS3H, and if you have more to spend than the Z77X-UD5H is another excellent option. If you're going Sandy (iX-2XXX) then stick with anything in the CustoMac builds.

Lastly, the word is "natively". :D

knouroozi said:
novagoogledude said:
Hi.
I'm getting ready to build a Hackintosh and was wondering if since the new Mac Pro can have 2 ATI Radeon 5770's, does this mean that i can do the same with my hackintosh and it will be Nativity supported. If so, what motherboard is supported under the DSDT database and allow me to do this?

You can get two of any GPUs working, but AMD cards tend to be more compatible in multi-GPU Hack setups (even 6XXX series work, so long as you don't pick a 6770 or 6750). However, this isn't Crossfire (or SLI, if Nvidia), because each graphics card is running independent of the other. If you read under the "more info" part of the Mac Pro's GPU section when you're customizing it, you'll see that all the dual-5770s get you is more displays, not more power.

Any motherboard that supports 2 PCIe slots at x8 (or x16 if you budget supports it) is fine as long as you've read about other people doing builds with it successfully. If you're doing Ivy (iX-3XXX) and are on a budget I (and Tony) would suggest the Z77-DS3H, and if you have more to spend than the Z77X-UD5H is another excellent option. If you're going Sandy (iX-2XXX) then stick with anything in the CustoMac builds.

Lastly, the word is "natively". :D

Thanks for that dude. I appreciate it! :clap:

Thanks for that dude. I appreciate it! :clap:[/quote]

No problem. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back