Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
UPDATE- I had success using OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OLCP). I was not able to get the chris1111 patcher to work with my system. See page 2 for more information.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 graphics card and am nervous about updating to Monterey as my card isn't natively supported.

There is at least one person who has had success using an NVIDIA graphics card.

I am fairly noob-ish so smarter people than I will probably tell me how to do this better.

Current status Oct 26 - Unsuccessful, bootloop

I created a new install of Monterey on a separate SSD. (If this doesn't go well, I don't want to have to reinstall everything)
When the install was complete, I booted to my primary SSD using OpenCore (0.7.4). I selected the Monterey SSD and let it complete the installation.
After, I was able to create a user account and start the OS though the graphics were very crude. (1024X768)
I copied over my EFI from my main SSD to the external SSD and booted back up using the EFI on the SSD.

One should be able to run Monterey if you have certain NVIDIA graphics cards. Geforce-Kepler cards.

For laptops: List of Kepler series GeForce Notebook GPUs | NVIDIA (custhelp.com)
For desktops: List of Kepler series GeForce Desktop GPUs | NVIDIA (custhelp.com)

The files you will need:
Unofficial (rollback) NVIDIA support here

What I have done so far:

The tricky part of the installation is that the files can only be installed with SIP deactivated. If you try you run the installer, you will get an error.

The method I used was to modify my OpenCore config file:
Search for AllowToggleSip and change it to TRUE. Save your config file. (you can change it back to FALSE when you have things running)
You will need to be running the Boot Picker (which I think is generally true).
Next time you restart, you will see an option in the picker that allows you to activate and deactivate SIP. I selected DEACTIVATE SIP then continued with the startup.
I ran the installer and followed the prompts. (this is not your usual installer so I would suggest watching the video at the bottom of the Unofficial Support page.) The files were installed where they needed to go.

Now when I start to Monterey, I see the Apple logo then the screen goes blank and the system resets. I must have done something wrong...

I am going to start all over again in hopes of getting things working.

Let me/ us know if you are able to get your rigs running and how you did it.

Last edited:
One issue might be that my Model identifier is MacPro6,1. Not sure if it needs to be iMacPro 1,1.

Update: This shouldn't be the problem. OpenCore suggests 6,1 for Ivy Bridge.

Last edited:
Getting closer:

SecureBootModel must be Disabled in config.plist​

Help from jueson123 -

Hi, I am sorry you are having difficulties. So this is what I did to install the patch from the link provided. Prior to installing Kepla\r Patcher V2, I disabled SIP using 67080000 value for csr-active-config then disabled GateKeeper. After that, ran the patch and followed instructions to select volume, changing volume name, then reselecting renamed volume (which I belive it was Monterey-Disk or something) then restart. Do keep in mind that you need have SIP disabled even after patching otherwise it won't work.

Note- I reenabled SIP. I am going to test with it back off. I also need to make sure I did everything else listed...

Last edited:
Still not successful. (Oct 27)

I reinstalled Monterey and was able to setup my account like before. It seems like I was able to install the files but when I reboot, the system hangs. I must be missing something.

The steps:

To using this program SIP security must be disabled

I disabled SIP by adding the SIP toggle in OpenCore. "Search for AllowToggleSIP and change it to TRUE."

• csrutil disable
I ran csrstatus in terminal and it said disabled.
  • csrutil authenticated-root disable (csr-active-config ➤ EF0F0000)
I presume this is for OpenCore. I changed this in my OpenCore config file. (maybe it does the same as AllowToggleSIP, I don't know)
  • Usage Clover csrutil authenticated-root disable (csr-active-config ➤ 0xFEF
I presume this is what you need for Clover.
  • SecureBootModel ➤ Disabled
I changed this in OpenCore too.
  • Gatekeeper must be disabled
The first time I ran this, it didn't seem to be a problem. The files installed.
The second time, I copied over the Hackintool app (can be found on this site) and in the Utility tab, at the bottom, there is a house with a lock on it. I selected this and it said:

Disable Gatekeeper and mount the disk in read/write mode?

I ran this and it gave me an error. (I think)
mount_apfs: volume could not be mounted: Permission denied
mount: / failed with 66

I ran the installer and the files went to the correct location. Then rebooted.

I am stuck about 2/5ths in the loading screen.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The csrutil authenticated-root values must be applied before you use this program so if you have not already changed and made a Reset NVRAM do it and reboot then use the program. Also SecureBootModel must be Disabled in config.plist.

I presume the above means, make the changes first then run the program.

I have reset NVRAM. It didn't seem to change anything.

Anyone else try this?

I will keep trying.

Last edited:
From a conversation with juseon123:

Hm.. Still no luck? I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as the files are installed correctly and your macOS is booting from a newly created snapshot by the patch. Before running the patch try disabling Gatekeeper from the terminal app with sudo spctl --master-disable then run the patch. See if your macOS is set to boot from the new snapshot. If this isn't working one thing I can think of is enabling CSM if it's not enabled already as my board is legacy.

Last edited:
I can't get Monterey to boot on my hackintosh. Big Sur installed/runs just fine but Monterey likes to crash on

[EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START]​

It appears to be something with the CPU timing kext which I tried both versions of. I tried all the settings in the troubleshooting guide with no success. I think updated kexts need to come out for x79 chipset/Ivy Bridge-E machines.

Big Sur installed/runs just fine but Monterey likes to crash on
Big Sur has support for your K2000 but Monterey doesn't. You'd have to apply the Kepler patching method from Chris1111.

Tried again today with a new install of Monterey. (October 28th)

Still no success.

I have been running the computer with SIP off. (OpenCore SIP toggle (see above))
I did run "sudo spctl --master-disable" as was suggested to turn off GateKeeper.
I ran the patch and it seemed to install just fine. I can see the files in /S/L/E.

Unfortunately, when I try to boot up, it starts the process then resets the system.

I might try the OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher as opposed to the Chris1111 patcher. Maybe that will work for me...

What is a pain is that I have to reinstall Monterey every time which takes about 60 minutes. (reformat, install, setup)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back