Contribute
Register

Monterey KernelPanic With Open Core On A Mackie 1640i FireWire Mixer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac Pro 5,1 mid 2010
CPU
intel Xeon> Need full CPU model name > See Rules!
Graphics
GT 710
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hello all,

Using a mid 2010 mac pro installed with Monterey using open core and working perfectly on my studio. Recently added a mackie 1640i mixer which is connected using a firewire 400->800 belkin cable. When i first connected it, it just worked perfectly as it is recognized by native core audio, so no driver was needed. After rebooting the machine, it stopped working, causing a kernel panic each time i try to use it. It happens both when trying to use it by my DAW (Logic Pro), but also when trying to set it as the mac default audio device.

Attaching the log.

Help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Attachments

• Kernel_Panic_FWAudio.pdf
    24.9 KB · Views: 57
Problem solved, or more accurately described - revealed.

The crash is happening from MacOs Catalina and above meaning its a bitness issue (32bit vs. 64bit) as Catalina is the infamous version that dropped 32bit support. I have installed both High Sierra and Mojave and the firewire mixer works perfectly out of box.

Important note: All this is happening when using the native FW800 port on my mac pro. If you have a newer mac with thunderbolt port, using fw->thunderbolt adapters will make the device work perfectly on latest MacOs(Monterey) as well.

Hope this will help anyone stuck in this situation.

Thanks !

I am trying to make a TC Electronics Studiokonnekt firewire interface to work with Big Sur...
It works perfectly fine in Mojave.
I don't think the issue is bitness for my side as I run file command on the driver (binary file inside the kext package) and file info returns it's a 64 bits file. The software side is 32 bits though, I didn't even try. I just want to use inputs and outputs, no routing or FX features offered by the 32 bits software...
Card is recognized in Big Sur, both in system profile (firewire + audio) and I see the outputs and inputs in Midi / Audio settings, but no sound ! I continue to investigate...
On Catalina, I am aware of the boot-args="no32exec=0" parameter that may enable to run some 32 bits executables...

I have a question about Logic Pro, how did you switch from the Logic version from Monterey to Mojave (obviously you can't just copy one to another?)

I must also share that taking my mid 2010 mac pro to its natively supported OS (Mojave), proved to be great to my specific setup. Everything just works smoother, many plugins and libraries just work, and my studio is much more stable and robust. So my two cents here is that if you use an old mac, and you don't specifically need something from later OS versions, stick to your natively supported OS, especially when using legacy gear.

Last edited:
I am trying to make a TC Electronics Studiokonnekt firewire interface to work with Big Sur...
It works perfectly fine in Mojave.
I don't think the issue is bitness for my side as I run file command on the driver (binary file inside the kext package) and file info returns it's a 64 bits file. The software side is 32 bits though, I didn't even try. I just want to use inputs and outputs, no routing or FX features offered by the 32 bits software...
Card is recognized in Big Sur, both in system profile (firewire + audio) and I see the outputs and inputs in Midi / Audio settings, but no sound ! I continue to investigate...
On Catalina, I am aware of the boot-args="no32exec=0" parameter that may enable to run some 32 bits executables...

I have a question about Logic Pro, how did you switch from the Logic version from Monterey to Mojave (obviously you can't just copy one to another?)
Not sure what do you mean by 'copy one to another' ? I first installed Monterey and Logic 10.7.3. Then i realised Monterey and my FW Mackie will never work together so i formatted my hd and reinstalled Mojave and the latest possible logic pro for Mojave which is 10.5.1. Luckily, Logic Pro supports up to two versions backwards so my 10.7.x projects are opened on 10.5.1. Logic does show a warning, but the projects are perfectly functional and when re-saved in 10.5.1 warning goes away.

I meant copy Logic pro app from Monterey to Mojave.
You are right saying Mojave is the best option for working with firewire audio cards, however I plan to upgrade my config z97 / I7 4790k to a z490 / i7 10700k, but I don't think it would work with Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back