CPU
Core i5 - 6600K
Graphics
Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
After years of running an old intallation of MacOS on my machine, I had the time to wrap my head around updating my Hackintosh. (I was forced to stay inside the house for two weeks.. yes, these times.. )

This is my first time using OpenCore – it took me some time to figure it out but the documentation is so much better than the Clover one. Big ups for the people who put that togehter!

After nearly two days of testing I finally managed to get my system to boot and install! These are the specs:
  • Core i5 - 6600K (Skylake) 3.5Ghz / 4 Cores
  • Gigabyte H170M-D3H
  • XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS / 8GB
mont.jpg

Look at this! Isnt that beautiful! =)

I used OpenCore 0.7.8 for the install and of course the Configurator. I have to admit, it was a lot of "trial and error" along the process of getting it to work.

Things that are not working right now:

1. iCloud Drive. (I am using a USB wireless-adapter)
At first, I could not log into my Apple Account. Fixed this by installing "NullEthernet.kext" and changed the Ethernet to en0... So this works now. But the iCloud Drive sync is not working.
At some point, it started synchronizing, but then it just stops and does not begin again.

2. USB
I did follow the "inkjet all USB" and determining all USB-Ports, but somehow, its not working. I can use the USB3-ports for USB3-devices, but my keyboard and my USB wireless adapter seems to work on USB2 only.

Besides that, I am super happy to get my Hackintosh up and running! I doubt, that I would have done it without having this "forced" extra time in my house.. But I am amazed how the OpenCore project is coming along!

If anyone is interested in my setup, I attached the EFI. And maybe someone can point me into the correct direction to fix these iCloud and USB issues..

Nevertheless, I am super happy to got this working – I am writing from my new Monterey right now! =)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    7 MB · Views: 784
I’ve been trying to update my rig (with similar components to yours) today and having a really tough time.
I can only assume you’re some sort of wizard.

ha! I guess I was just lucky...
Did you try using the EFI I posted?

Update:
I got iCloud Drive running! Somebody here mentoned, to go into the system preferences / iCloud to activate "Maps".
And voila: the files in my iClud Drive started syncing right away. I did not change anything else in my EFI-files...

Unfortunately, the USB-problem stays unsolved for now.

ha! I guess I was just lucky...
Did you try using the EFI I posted?
I did give it a try but ran out of time on Sunday to tinker. Will report back if I get any further.
Great work though, your success gives me hope.

mjut,
Looked at the Contents of your USBPorts.kext file... it doesn't seem right. You have 14 ports showing in USBPorts.kext/Contents/info.plist/IOKitPersonalities/iMac17,1-XHC/IOProviderMergeProperties/ports. The port numbers don't look right, although I cannot be sure. Compared with my USBPorts.kext in my Skylake computer listed below as "Mini-ITX 2," you are missing HS03 through HS06, and HS08, and you have HS11 thru HS14, and USR1, which I do not have. Is there that much difference in USB ports between your Gigabyte H170M-D3H and my Gigabyte H170N-WIFI motherboards?

Then I looked at your config.plist/Kernel/Quirks/XhciPortLimit and you have Value set to YES. That overrides your USBPorts.kext port definitions. That should be set to NO if you want to use your kext.

What is ACPI/ssdt-rmne.aml? Is that a RehabMan-generated SSDT from Clover? Haven't seen anything like that in OpenCore. It seems to be Ethernet-related. Maybe you would consider deleting that and replacing NullEthernet.kext with IntelMausi.kext in your kext files. But I really don't know what's going on there, either.

In config.plist/UEFI/ConnectDrivers you have Value set to NO. I think that should be YES.
In config.plist/UEFI/ProtocolOverrides you have FirmwareVolume set to NO. (It's YES for all my computers, all types.)
In config.plist/UEFI/Quirks you have EnableVectorAcceleration set to NO. (It's YES for all my computers.)

Last edited:
wstrohm,
thanks you for taking time to explain some settings. Makes sense.

I did exclude the /ssdt-rmne.aml I seriously dont know where I got this form. (Yes, I know – I am no expert..) I did download a lot and did test a lot...

The other settings I fixed, and boom: I can use all the USB ports now.
I need to look into it further to fully undertstand.

Thanks again!

This is my first time using OpenCore – it took me some time to figure it out but the documentation is so much better than the Clover one. Big ups for the people who put that togehter!
Hello

It has been some time since I last came to Tonymac's site , happy with my Mojave hackintosh rig. Now I would like to install the latest OS, for the sake of security , and also for the pleasure of using Monterey on my asus maximus VIII Z170 hack.
I am quite lost as previously there wer some clear step-by-step guides on Tonymac site using Unibeast and multibeast .
What documentation have you been using for OpenCore? is it "Dortania's guide" (seen that in some other posts that I have been browsing) . That seems waaay too complex for my ageing brains. Is there any help as to where to start using the simplest possible instructions ? ( Too much asking here ? Has hackintosh become a technically versed tinkerers' world :( ? )

Some please heeelp ! ;)

Not sure I can help much, but my "Mini-ITX 2" listed below is a Skylake-based computer and is currently running Big Sur, using an OpenCore EFI boot loader. Hopefully, my following comments might be useful to you:

1) Mojave is the latest Mac OS that will run both 32-bit and 64-bit applications. All later Mac OS versions will run only fully 64-bit applications. You can use GO64 to check your apps.
2) The Monterey OpenCore Guide will be useful, but Monterey does have some issues covered elsewhere on this forum, as is usual with a new MacOS release, particularly for Hackintoshers.
3) The current release of OpenCore is here. It is updated monthly.
4) When using OpenCore, it is important to use the latest ACPI documents and kexts available for the version you build.
5) If you use Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi successfully now, some changes are required in their kexts for Monterey.
6) "Hackintool" is very useful for setting up your USB ports, and can export a "USBPorts.kext" file for you if you know which HS and SS ports you want to use.
7) If you are converting from Clover to OpenCore, look at this web page.

Basically, OpenCore is enough different from Clover/Unibeast/Multibeast that I found learning it non-trivial. But the Guide should get you there, if you are committed and patient.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back