Graphics
HD3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am looking for monitors, and have a couple of questions.

1. Would I be better off with one 24" monitor or two 21.5" monitors?
2. For the two 21.5" monitors, would it be better to get two dell ST2220L or two Asus VE228H?
3. For the single 24" monitor, would the Dell ST2421 or the Asus V248Q?
4. For fun, maybe two 24" Asus VS248H-P monitors?

Some background, I am a Photo editor, starting to get into video editing. Programming in free time and gaming in windows.

images.jpg

Here's a really nice, edge to edge glass 24' display!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260106&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

i am not a huge fan of the glass, but aside from the ips panel, are there any advantages at that price?

EDIT: for the price, I could get two of these dell displays, or even just one, but it looks like a better option than the previously listed dells

I have the same question, any other suggestions?

Some background, I am a Photo editor, starting to get into video editing.

So I would assume you would not be prepared to put up with a glossy screen, nor any cheap screen (even those Dell 'S' models) that uses TN panels. And that you'll be calibrating/profiling the screen(s) with something like an i1Display/Spyder/ColorMunki.

If you were willing to pay for a quality product I would be recommending either an Eizo or one of the NEC Professional models. As a cheaper compromise some of the Dell monitors can be great (although they typically have more variation in color and luminance across different parts of the display than the more-expensive models, we can usually get away with not needing perfection: you might not notice the variations until you measure them with a calibration device).
Since recent years Dell very nicely lists on their product pages the panel type for each monitor. The IPS ones are usually a good start, although some PVA/MVA monitors can be reasonable compromises. I would start by skipping any Dell model that isn't an "Ultrasharp" and go from there. There may be some even-cheaper models available from other brands, but I have even less information about their quality control.

I'm still using a Dell U2410 as my main photo-editing display. I've recently borrowed a TN-panel Samsung as a second monitor and although I don't work on photos on it, it's VERY apparent that the colors and brightness change a lot as I move my head. I'm instead considering a Dell U2312HM as a second display: it has the same dot pitch as the U2410 and is currently cheaper than the 21.5" U2212HM anyway.

So I would assume you would not be prepared to put up with a glossy screen, nor any cheap screen (even those Dell 'S' models) that uses TN panels. And that you'll be calibrating/profiling the screen(s) with something like an i1Display/Spyder/ColorMunki.

If you were willing to pay for a quality product I would be recommending either an Eizo or one of the NEC Professional models. As a cheaper compromise some of the Dell monitors can be great (although they typically have more variation in color and luminance across different parts of the display than the more-expensive models, we can usually get away with not needing perfection: you might not notice the variations until you measure them with a calibration device).
Since recent years Dell very nicely lists on their product pages the panel type for each monitor. The IPS ones are usually a good start, although some PVA/MVA monitors can be reasonable compromises. I would start by skipping any Dell model that isn't an "Ultrasharp" and go from there. There may be some even-cheaper models available from other brands, but I have even less information about their quality control.

I'm still using a Dell U2410 as my main photo-editing display. I've recently borrowed a TN-panel Samsung as a second monitor and although I don't work on photos on it, it's VERY apparent that the colors and brightness change a lot as I move my head. I'm instead considering a Dell U2312HM as a second display: it has the same dot pitch as the U2410 and is currently cheaper than the 21.5" U2212HM anyway.

I appreciate the advice, I am a bit on a budget, and I am looking to stay under $300 for either two displays or one. what would you suggest? I really like the two display setup

I'd have to say ultrasharp too you can't beat them

One good monitor or two crap ones? If you doing any work with photos you will get more value from a good monitor.

The Dell linked to above (the U2312HM) looks like it will fit your budget. I haven't used it myself, but like I said I'm already considering that model to add to my kit (and my job is as a photographer).

Of course, two good monitors would be even better. :) You say you're a photo editor: presumably this equipment is tax-deductable if you're using it for work? And if you are using it for photo work it would be stupid to use the wrong gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back