Contribute
Register

ML: Native Ivy Bridge CPU and GPU Power Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1st post is a 3770K. Eliminate 12 (experimental) and turbo (3 values) and the reported pstates are similar to your 3225. Understand the pstates between idle and max nonturbo are based on the load a single processor sees converted to pstates. Your Ivy Bridge SSDT shows 18 available pstates and PM uses only the pstates the CPU load requires. To get more pstates, run the test for much longer time focused on single core applications.

As stated in the OP, using a Sandy Bridge i7 ssdt (95W) on an Ivy Bridge i7 (77W) processor is not recommended. The generation of the installed processor should match the processor generation of the system definition and installed ssdt.

The real value of native PM is at the plug, one user has reported 20% less power comparing Ivy Bridge PM to Sandy Bridge PM on the same Ivy Bridge processor. In a properly configured system, the number of reported pstates has no relation to performance or usability of the system.

Thank you for the reply Toledo,

I am using all IB files and hardware. I used the tool from OP to make the SSDT. I have let it run overnight and I never get anything but 16,21,27,33. I have the Macmini6,2 smbios, Z77n WiFi board, i3-3225 CPU with HD4000 graphics. Am I missing anything? The only difference I can see is when running the SSDT tool I get a warning that the CPU is different (0x0901 vs 0x0701) the i3-3225 being the 0x0901.

Thank you again!!!

Sorry. I don't know why your results are different. The answers to some of your previous questions:
OpenGL uses CPU resources as well as GPU resources.
You won't have IGPU without dsdt edits and you won't have GFX0 unless Integrated graphics is enabled in the BIOS. Edit AGPM only if you have integrated graphics running. The IGPU max power setting is not relevant.
I don't know what the AVF errors are but they may be related to the inability of your graphics card to idle.

Thank you so much for checking everything. If you ever think of an idea to test out, let me know. Until then, I may go to the imac symbios or maybe back to one of the macpro settings (with inefficiencies). I just can't keep my GPU at full throttle the whole time. All energy savings saved by the CPU are lost (plus a lot more) by my GPU.

Thank you so much for checking everything. If you ever think of an idea to test out, let me know. Until then, I may go to the imac symbios or maybe back to one of the macpro settings (with inefficiencies). I just can't keep my GPU at full throttle the whole time. All energy savings saved by the CPU are lost (plus a lot more) by my GPU.
Two key points:
1. Your graph shows temperature falling and fans speed slowing when the app stops and that means less power. It raises a question of HWMonitor frequency validity.
2. A working AGPM profile for any system definition can be copied to the AGPM/system definition required for CPU PM.

The only difference I can see is when running the SSDT tool I get a warning that the CPU is different (0x0901 vs 0x0701) the i3-3225 being the 0x0901.
macmini6,2 is 8 threads (i7), macmini6,1 is 4 threads (i3/i5). Because the ssdt is properly configured, no need to change to macmini6,1.

Hi, i've been trying to get this to work for a while.

I have a 3570K with the HD4000 graphics and whatever I try, it just doesn't seem to load without an external graphics card(apart from safe mode)- it just sits at the spinning Apple Logo..

Can someone give me a simple(noob) guide to getting the HD4000 graphics to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back