Contribute
Register

ML: Native Ivy Bridge CPU and GPU Power Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for all the help. I think I’m almost there.

One quick question about MSR dumper, very basic too. I understand how to type launch commands and get MSR dumper working but to simply navigate terminal to the folder where I have the file downloaded what do I type?

Example: file is located in downloads folder

Open terminal and type: \download\

Will that navigate terminal to that specified folder where I can then launch the commands for MSR dumper?

The graphics power management is still confusing me a bit still. I went back and read your first post plus your response. I’ll download Xcode, a plist editor.

1. Navigate xcode to: AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist
2. Choose the board_id plist based on system definition
3. Navigate to Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED - Macmini6,2 (no IGPU, Discrete only GFX0) Is this config possible or do i need to add iGPU HD4000 too?

Should I see “Vendor10deDevice1086” listed already like your picture or am I adding that item to “Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED”?

In your picture there are also other value inside “Vendor10deDevice1086”, “Hueristic” “Id” “Control Id” with numerical values. Do I have to add those too?

Do I have to use iGPU and add that value to when using sys def 6,2?

Lastly my bios is set to PEG (Pci Express Graphics) for intial display. Should I set that to auto if I have to use iGPU and sysdef 6,2?

Again, thank you very much for all the help!

EDIT:

I think I may be going down the wrong path here. My goal is to get speed stepping to work via SSDT and use Discrete Graphics without adding iGPU to the mix.

If I want speed step working via ssdt.aml, because I'm changing the sysdef do i need to add iGPU functionality? It seems like I'd need sysdef iMac 13,x but your comments in the first post have me a bit confused..... You say "CPU- not working" but then MSRDumper shows Pstates, Speed step working?

iimac13,1
CPU - not working
MSRDumper PStatesReached: 12 16 37 38 39
IGPU (optional) - working
GFX0 - working

iimac13,2
CPU - not working
MSRDumper PStatesReached: 12 16 37 38 39
IGPU (optional) - working
GFX0 - working

Once in Terminal, you will see your current folder displayed similar to this: dell17rse3d:~ admin$ .. to navigate, type ~/downloads/msrdumper.kext - the ~ is a shortcut for 'where I am now' ...

Get PlistEditPro - it is an app much better for this task than Xcode. Look at the different board ids to get an idea of what is needed - for example I add one to my MBP10,1 ID for my card as it is different than the MAC standard. You'll see some that have all three types, most that have both GFX0 and IGPU and some with only one. Don't bother to add anything you do not need; IGPU is Intel support - if you don't have it, you don't need it.

When I type
Code:
~/Downlaods/MSRDumper/MSRDumper.kext

I get: -bash:
Code:
Users/admin/Downloads/MSRDumper/MSRDumper.kext: is a directory

Then I try to run:
Code:
sudo chown -R 0:0 MSRDumper.kext

It asks for password and then says:
Code:
chown: MSRDumper.kext: No such file or Directory

What am I doing wrong?

When I type
Code:
~/Downlaods/MSRDumper/MSRDumper.kext

I get: -bash:
Code:
Users/admin/Downloads/MSRDumper/MSRDumper.kext: is a directory

Then I try to run:
Code:

It asks for password and then says:
Code:
chown: MSRDumper.kext: No such file or Directory

What am I doing wrong?

You want (assuming it extracts to ~/Downloads/MSRDumper directory):

Code:
cd ~/Downloads/MSRDumper

And '~' does not stand for 'where I am' -- it is an alias for your home directory. ('.' is alias for current directory or 'where I am').

Thanks Rehab Man! Appreciate it mate.

One quick question about MSR dumper, very basic too. I understand how to type launch commands and get MSR dumper working but to simply navigate terminal to the folder where I have the file downloaded what do I type?

Should I see “Vendor10deDevice1086” listed already like your picture or am I adding that item to “Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED”?

Lastly my bios is set to PEG (Pci Express Graphics) for intial display. Should I set that to auto if I have to use iGPU and sysdef 6,2?

If I want speed step working via ssdt.aml, because I'm changing the sysdef do i need to add iGPU functionality? It seems like I'd need sysdef iMac 13,x but your comments in the first post have me a bit confused..... You say "CPU- not working" but then MSRDumper shows Pstates, Speed step working?
Terminal commands for msrdumper.kext:
Code:
To start Downloads/MSRDumper.kext:
cd Downloads
sudo chown -R root:wheel MSRDumper.kext
sudo kextload MSRDumper.kext

To terminate MSRDumper.kext:
sudo kextunload MSRDumper.kext

Regarding imac13 MSRDumper results, SpeedStep is not working with only the lower and turbo freqs. The same condition exists with imac12 Sandy Bridge power management. Recommend macmini6,2 sysdef.

Suggest Graphics Power Management edits after Ivy Bridge Power Management is working.

Graphics Power Management
Ivy Bridge/10.8.2 and newer
IGPU is HD4000 (present in all Ivy Bridge sysdefs)
GFX0 is discrete graphics (present in macbookpro9 and 10 and iMac13, Nvidia only)

For your system you want IGPU/HD4000 (AirPlay mirroring) and GFX0. Conditions:
dsdt edited for PEGP/GFX0, no kext edits are required with imac13
Kext edits required for graphics card device_id for any Ivy Bridge sysdef (Edit is required in only the Board_ID.plist selected)

For macmini6,2 on your system
IGPU is fine
Add Vendor10deDevice1080 (GTX 580) to .plist with all values noted

For BIOS and org.chameleon.Boot.plist setting for HD4000 and GTX 580 see Mountain Lion: HD3000/HD4000 with AMD or Nvidia, Working Together

Following your guide I have loaded X86PlatformPlugin.kext by using ssdt.aml-i5oc in /Extra as SSDT.aml, and DropSSDT=Yes in org.chameleon.Boot.plist. IB Graphics Power Management for HD4000 is also complete (editing with PlistEdit Pro) and SMbios edited to Macmini6,2.
IOReg confirms (to me at least) that all is OK and as per your guide.

However, my system is stuck at x8.0. I have tried generating a custom IB ssdt without success, and then duplicated the bottom entry as suggested to PikeRalpha. No better.

Your ssdt.aml is presumably working for you giving the PStates quoted in the last section (C.). For me, it is not. Could you please have a look at my IOReg for me? My DSDT.aml includes your HDaudio (layout:id3) and edits by mrengles to fix usb and sleep/wake and has been working fine for a couple of months now.

My system needs iGPU only, as I don't need to use the GT210 card.

I also use Clover instead of Chimera most of the time as it gives improved sleep/wake operation, and I will be sorting IB PM out with it next I hope.

Thanks

Attachments

• IOReg.zip
    424.6 KB · Views: 157
Your ssdt.aml is presumably working for you giving the PStates quoted in the last section (C.). For me, it is not. Could you please have a look at my IOReg for me?
You have installed a different version of 10.8.2, I've only tested 10.8.2/12C60
Try an edit: ssdt-i5oc_v1/Name from (APSN, 0x08) to Name (APSN, 0x09)

I'm still locked at x8 with revised Name (APSN, 0x09). However, I have generated an SSDT using MacIASL Beta which does give me P-States 16,17,18,19,20,21,43 so far on MSRDumper, without X86PlatformPlugin and without IB native power management.

I'll wait until 10.8.3 is released and try again. Thanks again for helping and for your great guides which are a wonderful contribution to the Hackintosh community on tonymac.

On second thoughts I'll try the DSDT edit to activate X86Platform with the above SSDT.
- Done! The X86Platform is loaded, confirmed in IOReg. Still no success with IB power management and P-States.

Hello and first thing first, thanks a lot for all of your works toledo. It's amazing. :clap:

My rig is set as "Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4 - iMac 13,2" via the SMBios.plist + FakeSMC (huronriver/1.72f2).
X86PlatformPlugin.kext is correctly loaded via my DSDT. I use your i7 SSDT OC 4200MHz + DropSSDT=y.
And my board is flashed with an unlocked UEFI BIOS.

As HardwareMonitor report, my rig only have two multiplier : X16 and X 42. And my VCore is static and stuck at 1,25v.
In the UEFI BIOS, Vcore is set to auto, multiplier to all cores 42.

In fact, i only have to use the unlocked BIOS and with default settings in the BIOS, means no overclocking to get a functional power management ; and in this case, the VCore is dynamic : 0,96v with X16 and 1,08v with X35.

The static VCore is not a big trouble because i used to set it manually as i overclock and auto settings tends to give more juice than needed.

Just to report and give my two cents. :)
edit kit)

And i struggle to make my own 4500MHz SSDT ; no luck with MaciASL (in conjunction with your SSDT edit kit). With a SB CPU i managed to make the CPU Packages but with IB i don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back