CPU
I7 2600K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I had my recovery HD installed when I installed El Capitan, and find my Mac was working perfectly. I have no idea how it installed, and whether it was the El Capitan installer or not, as I don't remember having it in earlier OS versions. I recently screwed up my home folder (moved it into the Kext folder by accident which screwed it up when I moved it back), so I restored from a backup using super duper. However, now I don't have a Recovery HD. How can I get this back? I don't want a functioning one, as I have a Unibeast partition. I just want a fake one so find my Mac works. I've read clover should create a Recover HD partition for this purpose, but I'm pretty sure I installed the latest clover after my restore, and I don't have it. I will try to reinstall Clover and see if that works. In case it doesn't, what can I do?

it's part of osx install nothing to do with clover.

Worked perfectly, thanks. It's even bootable which is great. Is there something that I can do to prevent Super Duper backups/restores from deleting my Recovery HD, or is this unavoidable?

P.S. For those using the above Recovery Partition Creator, I chose OS X 9 as the version, as it didn't say anything about El Cap, but choosing 9 worked.

I think the El Capitan installer creates it. SuperDuper only copies a single partition, so it will omit your EFI and Recovery partitions. You'd have to do those by hand.

If you still have the old drive you did the SuperDuper from, maybe you can just create a new partition on the new drive in Disk Utility and copy over the Recovery partition contents?

If your drive that had the Recovery partition is gone and you want the Recovery partition back at this point, maybe you can just re-run the El Capitan installer on your drive? I'm not sure of another way to create one.

Hmmm, thanks for the ideas. Here is what I do: Backup my Macintosh HD to a separate partition on another drive, then clone this back to my main ssd where Mac HD was if anything goes wrong. Thus, I didn't have the backup recovery HD, but the above script fixed the issue. I wonder if I had run the El Cap installer on my restored Mac HD if it would have simply "repaired" my install by adding back Recovery HD and leaving everything else the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back