HD 4600
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
As quicksilver mod.s are coming aplenty I though why not one more. :D

This one has my switch mod pre. done - details here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=361222#p361222

I'm just using the power led and power switch though as I don't have much use for reset.

As with my sawtooth mod, on this the major work was doing the work to get my templates for the rear I/O correct and then in doing something creative for the front interfaces.

For the rear I/O I basically had a choice - do I go up high on the door and see if I can put in 5 PCI slots the way the quicksilver had it or do I go for the usual 4? Well, as mounting to four slots might allow someone later to re-purpose a front DVD player I decided to go for 4 slots.

p6220802.jpg

As usual I went for plexi (what else?) and I like the way the slot numbering comes out on the transparent I/O piece. I am though likely to get some metal ones ordered as there are a few traditionalist out there (!).

The rear I went for was so there is the choice of re-using the original right hand side:

p5110628.jpg

Or to use a custom one with the area around the power supply made as large as the metalwork hole to allow easy fitting of more ATX PSUs, Apple (typically) puts their power socket on the opposite side to most of the commercial ATX PSU suppliers:

p6220805.jpg

On the inside there are the usual mATX standoffs added (10mm high seems to work):

p5110621.jpg

And for the front I obviously didn't want to mess with a classic design so I just decided there was room for a hotswap 2.5" mod and some I/O connectivity - audio, usb 2 and 3 and firewire:

p5110625.jpg

And that's pretty much it really. If anyone is interested in the front panel stuff used, it is the corsair replacement front panel I/O for their Obsidian and I made my hotswap from one of those chinese laptop caddies that allow 2.5" disks to be used inside them - just rip out the internal connector and make up some mountings from plexi (or whatever you have). All you need to add is one of those little slim sata cables then to connect the board to your mobo/PSU.

I will be building a system into this case (as I like to make sure all works well before I move on to the next project) so I'll post some more piccies once that's done. In the meantime, I'm quite pleased with how this prototype QS turned out.

Be interested to hear your comments, good and bad. For instance, for the rear I/o plate do you like plexi or would you prefer to have metal there?

:wave:

Attachments

• PCI view.JPG
    PCI view.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 694
  • Original back.JPG
    Original back.JPG
    523.4 KB · Views: 741
  • Custoback.JPG
    Custoback.JPG
    518.1 KB · Views: 1,060
  • mATX.JPG
    mATX.JPG
    493.7 KB · Views: 733
  • Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    455.1 KB · Views: 722
  • Ports.JPG
    Ports.JPG
    388.4 KB · Views: 1,963
  • P5110619.JPG
    P5110619.JPG
    326.4 KB · Views: 650
Nice job! I really want that front panel now! Guess I will have to look into it. On a side note, did you by chance get the speaker to work in the front, or is it to weak to be re-used? It would be a nice "aesthetic" effect if it worked.

Thanks.

I haven't wired it up yet, but I will do so at least it'll get bios "Beep" duty!

I do like it. I do, I do. I want to know how you manage to get so much time to work on your mods. I need more dedication!!

Gus said:
I do like it. I do, I do. I want to know how you manage to get so much time to work on your mods. I need more dedication!!

Ha ha, I kid myself that it is a business - when really it is an expensive hobby. My hope though is to eventually get all of this stuff I have on the computer into what I think is a final state and then make the panels available to everyone at a reasonable price. The reality is that every time I send a panel to the laser cutter to cut now I see something (sometimes small, sometimes big) that needs a tweak.

I'm revisiting the MDD now though and it's doing my head in!!!

minihack said:
Ha ha, I kid myself that it is a business - when really it is an expensive hobby. My hope though is to eventually get all of this stuff I have on the computer into what I think is a final state and then make the panels available to everyone at a reasonable price. The reality is that every time I send a panel to the laser cutter to cut now I see something (sometimes small, sometimes big) that needs a tweak. So from my point of view I see all of these as prototypes right now.

One thing I want to do soon is to get some metalwork sorted based on some of these and get it in my shop as if I can get it done at sensible prices then it gives an easy way to make good PC cases out of these old Mac classics.

I'm revisiting the MDD now though and it's doing my head in!!!
Yeah. This is expensive..
If you don't mind me asking what do you do. The level of craftsmanship and engineering in some of your designs is incredible. Not to mention the completely original designs! It really is spectacular to read through your mods.

Gus said:
If you don't mind me asking what do you do. The level of craftsmanship and engineering in some of your designs is incredible. Not to mention the completely original designs! It really is spectacular to read through your mods.

Thanks for the nice words.

I qualified in elec. eng (an age ago) but I've always been into computers and design as well as fixing up old cars. I also have some legal training (don't want to go into detail!) and in working with inventions - which I've kind of been doing for the last twenty odd years on and off. I think it's the inventions background that has me looking at things and wondering how it can be done better or differently.

I have some non-Mac stuff for PCs that I am trying to figure out as I think that case design is not just a bit on the conservative side (everyone seems to be making the same case) but also doesn't make the most of what can be done with the space or the materials. Some of the tiny cases out there really annoy me because I think that people are being conned into thinking that a case which is just bigger than their hardware is going to work, while often all they do is end up cooking the components, or having to shove a noisey fan into it .

You always do an awesome job with your builds. I think once I can afford to I might jump in and do a G5 build. But then again, the G4 case builds are a little more straight forward once you have done one. The advantage to the G5 case though is the ability to build a bigger and faster machine because there are not the heat restrictions you have in the G4 case. Inspiring builds as always though Minihack :headbang:

roto31 said:
You always do an awesome job with your builds. I think once I can afford to I might jump in and do a G5 build. But then again, the G4 case builds are a little more straight forward once you have done one. The advantage to the G5 case though is the ability to build a bigger and faster machine because there are not the heat restrictions you have in the G4 case. Inspiring builds as always though Minihack :headbang:

Thanks Roto31. I think there's no excuse for not modding..... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back