Contribute
Register

Maximus V Gene 10.8.x Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maximus V Gene 10.8 Guide with DSDT

UPDATED 08/23/2012

1) Now with a DSDT to enable USB3 without Kext.

UPDATED 08/14/2012

1. [*=left]Unibeast drive with Mountain Lion
    [*=left]Patience
    [*=left]MSRDumper to test Speedstep
    [*=left]Maximus V Gene (Obviously)

So inorder to install OSX 10.8 on this system I had to jump through a few hoops, but now have it stable and back to 10.7.4 condtitions.

1) First: Had to flash bios to get Native speedstep/sleep, the file from here: http://bios4asus.blogspot.com/

*Inorder to do this Format a flash drive to FAT32/16, then copy the bios file to it (Should be named M5G.CAP). Insert the flash drive into the white ROG connect port on the back of the motherboard and press and hold the button until it starts blinking. Then wait until the light finishes blinking, and you're set!

2) Second had to set up bios with basic hackintosh settings and any other settings vary from build to build. Internal PLL overvoltage: DISABLED

*Before i did this I of course created my Unibeast drive with my newly purcashed Mountian Lion App :)

3) (Only for my 560Ti) Had run PCIRootUID=0 to boot up the installer. NOTHING ELSE - That's the important part.

*Then installed normal, then booted from USB with no boot flags and it booted right up. May need to use PCIRootUID=0 again if that doesn't work.(560Ti only)

4) PLACE DSDT.aml on Desktop. Run Multibeast, selected ALC898 without DSDT Haven't tested the DSDT enablers, but without still works. Intel Ethernet Kext is need. Nothing for graphics, 3rd Party Sata (Not necessary but all your Hard drives will show up as external), USB3 WORKS WITH DSDT ATTACHED BELOW, and that's it. EasyBeast is not needed with the flashed bios, but the User-DSDT/DSDT-Free install works great!

EDIT: Attached is a DSDT that makes USB3 work without a Kext. All credit goes to eros74

*To fix the slow boot time, move your lion drive to the Asmedia Sata port (the bottom ones).

*GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No is not needed for my 560Ti.

MISC) You will Need Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement from 10.7.4 to get speedstep working (after you remove NullCPU of course) if you slected easybeast without flashed Bios.

*MultiBeast Pictures 5 Pictures! If you DID NOT flash your bios you will need Patched Cpu Management from 10.7.4, also depending on your system you will need graphics enablers, or a SSDT for Sandy Bridge CPUs Etc. Please ask if you are confused.

View attachment 29196 <The DSDT to get USB3 working without a kext

View attachment 29198View attachment 29199

Hi, I have a mac pro case i'd like to set up with this board but I have to be able to dual boot windows .
Does the bios flash you used above have any impact on running Windows 7 / 8 ?

No

Anyone know how to diagnose an issue in which there is a screen flickering on the left hand side of the screen using the integrated GPU?

I even set the iGPU to 64mb and it didn't work. I followed this guide to the T.

Anyone know how to diagnose an issue in which there is a screen flickering on the left hand side of the screen using the integrated GPU?

I even set the iGPU to 64mb and it didn't work. I followed this guide to the T.

Update your chimera, this guide isn't really for Integrated as it doesn't clarify what to sepecifically do. There is apparently some string that needs to be in your boot.plist.

Howdy Koalaman (and Samisnake, if you're watching), just an FYI that I cited your help in my first ever build, which was just chosen as a Golden Build (woot!). See my signature for details.

Thanks again! :clap:

UPDATED 08/27/2012

1) Update to 10.8.2 to increase USB3 SPEED!

1) Now with a DSDT to enable USB3 without Kext. In some cases the USB3 kexts may still be needed with the DSDT.

UPDATED 08/14/2012

1. [*=left]Unibeast drive with Mountain Lion
    [*=left]Patience
    [*=left]MSRDumper to test Speedstep
    [*=left]Maximus V Gene (Obviously)

So inorder to install OSX 10.8 on this system I had to jump through a few hoops, but now have it stable and back to 10.7.4 condtitions.

1) First: Had to flash bios to get Native speedstep/sleep, the file from here: http://bios4asus.blogspot.com/

*Inorder to do this Format a flash drive to FAT32/16, then copy the bios file to it (Should be named M5G.CAP). Insert the flash drive into the white ROG connect port on the back of the motherboard and press and hold the button until it starts blinking. Then wait until the light finishes blinking, and you're set!

2) Second had to set up bios with basic hackintosh settings and any other settings vary from build to build. Internal PLL overvoltage: DISABLED

*Before i did this I of course created my Unibeast drive with my newly purcashed Mountian Lion App :)

3) (Only for my 560Ti) Had run PCIRootUID=0 to boot up the installer. NOTHING ELSE - That's the important part.

*Then installed normal, then booted from USB with no boot flags and it booted right up. May need to use PCIRootUID=0 again if that doesn't work.(560Ti only)

4) PLACE DSDT.aml on Desktop. Run Multibeast, selected ALC898 without DSDT Haven't tested the DSDT enablers, but without still works. Intel Ethernet Kext is need. Nothing for graphics, 3rd Party Sata (Not necessary but all your Hard drives will show up as external), USB3 WORKS WITH DSDT ATTACHED BELOW, and that's it. EasyBeast is not needed with the flashed bios, but the User-DSDT/DSDT-Free install works great!

EDIT: Attached is a DSDT that makes USB3 work without a Kext. All credit goes to eros74

*To fix the slow boot time, move your lion drive to the Asmedia Sata port (the bottom ones).

*GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No is not needed for my 560Ti.

MISC) You will Need Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement from 10.7.4 to get speedstep working (after you remove NullCPU of course) if you slected easybeast without flashed Bios.

*MultiBeast Pictures 5 Pictures! If you DID NOT flash your bios you will need Patched Cpu Management from 10.7.4, also depending on your system you will need graphics enablers, or a SSDT for Sandy Bridge CPUs Etc. Please ask if you are confused.

View attachment 29196 <The DSDT to get USB3 working without a kext

View attachment 29198View attachment 29199

hey there koalaman, i followed your guide for my maximus v gene, which might i say is pretty epic in itself

but i have a problem, heres my scenario:

i can install mountain lion using unibeast no problem, i can boot to mountain lion using unibeast usb no problem, i install multibeast, and then when the computer restarts it goes through the apple logo the spinning wheel and when it looks the desktop should show up its just a grey screen

my setup:

maximus v gene
core i5 2500k
gtx 660ti - natively supported
nothing else in pci ports, and one 2tb hard disk
oh and 8gb ram

Boot -v and tell me what it says.

i boot -v and it passes the boot phase, it doesnt freeze or stop anywhere, it appears as though the login screen/desktop is about to show up but instead i just get a grey/white screen

any ideas in whats going on?

i boot -v and it passes the boot phase, it doesnt freeze or stop anywhere, it appears as though the login screen/desktop is about to show up but instead i just get a grey/white screen

any ideas in whats going on?

Boot -v GraphicsEnabler=No

If those don't work add PCIRootUID=0 or 1

Thank you Koalaman, for your guide !!!
My Maximus V, run excellent with 10.8.1 !!!
Can you try with 10.8.2 ?
I try, but after update to 10.8.2, I have kernel panic.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back