Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Following RehabMan's excellent guide to install OS X using Clover I built a Clover USB installer and booted this laptop with it.
Installed Mavericks, installed Clover to the SSD, installed Rehabman's version of FakeSMC and RTL8111, ejected and removed the USB, rebooted.
I am typing this from the laptop keyboard, the trackpad works, the trackpad buttons work and I did not even have to install any kexts for them. Error - see edit below
I am currently using nv_disable=1 for the GTX980m as I have not yet installed the Web drivers. I do have full 1080p resolution. Does anyone know if the desktop GTX980 drivers will work on the 980m?

I do not know at this point if the flickering and reloading of the network screen is due to the graphics or the Realtek driver, but the Safari screen has unacceptable flickering and screen reloading going on, making it something you would not want to use for very long.

Other than that, I am surprised it was so easy to install Mavericks and get this thing going.
Next step - get the audio working.

EDIT: forgot one thing - I did install VoodooPS2 kext late last night. That is why it is working today.

Attachments

• G751JY.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Following RehabMan's excellent guide to install OS X using Clover I built a Clover USB installer and booted this laptop with it.
Installed Mavericks, installed Clover to the SSD, installed Rehabman's version of FakeSMC and RTL8111, ejected and removed the USB, rebooted.
I am typing this from the laptop keyboard, the trackpad works, the trackpad buttons work and I did not even have to install any kexts for them.
I am currently using nv_disable=1 for the GTX980m as I have not yet installed the Web drivers. I do have full 1080p resolution. Does anyone know if the desktop GTX980 drivers will work on the 980m?

I do not know at this point if the flickering and reloading of the network screen is due to the graphics or the Realtek driver, but the Safari screen has unacceptable flickering and screen reloading going on, making it something you would not want to use for very long.

Other than that, I am surprised it was so easy to install Mavericks and get this thing going.
Next step - get the audio working.

My plists use nv_disable=1 to disable the Nvidia drivers. The PS2 keyboard/trackpad work due to having VoodooPS2Controller.kext in Clover/kexts.

My plists use nv_disable=1 to disable the Nvidia drivers. The PS2 keyboard/trackpad work due to having VoodooPS2Controller.kext in Clover/kexts.
Actually, PS2 controller is in S/L/E - forgot to mention that one. These 3 are the only kexts I have installed so far. I want to do a bit of research before I add anything else. I have been reading your posts on DSDT editing for power management and having a hard time as the embedded controllers I have are named differently and there is no store anywhere - just offsets.

What do you think - is the flickering in Safari, especially the ad boxes on the forum, a result of no GPU driver or is it the network driver?

Actually, PS2 controller is in S/L/E - forgot to mention that one.

Not sure how they got there without you installing them... do you remember writing this:
I am typing this from the laptop keyboard, the trackpad works, the trackpad buttons work and I did not even have to install any kexts for them.

I have been reading your posts on DSDT editing for power management and having a hard time as the embedded controllers I have are named differently and there is no store anywhere - just offsets.

It is likely an existing patch is already in the repository. There are two ASUS patches there, and usually one or the other matches almost any ASUS laptop.

What do you think - is the flickering in Safari, especially the ad boxes on the forum, a result of no GPU driver or is it the network driver?

Flickering is due to lack of QE/CI because no graphics drivers are loaded.

Not sure how they got there without you installing them... do you remember writing this:
Sorry, senior moment there - stayed up too late working on this last night. Forgot about the PS2 controller - I did install that per your instructions. Will edit that post.
VoodooPS2.png

Actually, PS2 controller is in S/L/E - forgot to mention that one. These 3 are the only kexts I have installed so far.
What I meant here was that PS2 controller is one of 3 kexts installed so far:
VoodooPS2
Realtek RTL8111
FakeSMC

Flickering is due to lack of QE/CI because no graphics drivers are loaded.
Do you know if the desktop GTX980 driver will work with the mobile version? Would like to get this working as Asus has locked out the HD4600 in the CPU.

No idea... Try it and find out.
And the answer to that question, unfortunately, is No. The desktop drivers do not work with the laptop model.
Boots, but when it hits the end of the process, reboots instead of initializing the graphics.

And the answer to that question, unfortunately, is No. The desktop drivers do not work with the laptop model.
Boots, but when it hits the end of the process, reboots instead of initializing the graphics.

You might need to inject EDID or other properties...

Also, you might google around for other laptops with similar hardware. To see if they are using the web drivers, native drivers, and what properties they are injecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back