Register

MacPro 5,1: Multiboot with Opencore (?)

Motherboard
Mac Pro 5,1
CPU
2x Xeon E5690
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Hi everyone, I refurbished an old MacPro 5,1 with "new" CPUs, RAM, cleaned Bootrom and MacVids patched AMD GPU - running Monterey via Opencore.

I want to setup a triple boot confug with Monterey, Win10 an Batocera (Linux) . I read different guides with a lot of different configs...but did not get the core of setting up a triple boot with Opencore on separate SSDs.

1. Which OS to install first (on separate SSD)
2. Install Win 10 as legacy (without Opencore Boot SSD) or via UEFI (with Opencore because of bricking the bootrom with windows certificates)
3. Should I use only the separate SSDs for imstalling without the others SSDs in the Mac?
4. How can I setup the Opencore bootpicker to show all 3 OS'es?

I don't find the answers in the Multiboot Guide here at the forum...

Hi everyone, I refurbished an old MacPro 5,1 with "new" CPUs, RAM, cleaned Bootrom and MacVids patched AMD GPU - running Monterey via Opencore.

I want to setup a triple boot confug with Monterey, Win10 an Batocera (Linux) . I read different guides with a lot of different configs...but did not get the core of setting up a triple boot with Opencore on separate SSDs.

1. Which OS to install first (on separate SSD)
2. Install Win 10 as legacy (without Opencore Boot SSD) or via UEFI (with Opencore because of bricking the bootrom with windows certificates)
3. Should I use only the separate SSDs for imstalling without the others SSDs in the Mac?
4. How can I setup the Opencore bootpicker to show all 3 OS'es?

I don't find the answers in the Multiboot Guide here at the forum...
Hello,
There are some main lines here :

- make a plan (what, where, how, when, etc with pencil/paper)
- on the motherboard, find three ports/connectors for your storages
Let's name them : con1, con2, con3 ( example : NVme1, Sata2, Sata5)
Check them ( cables, screws, size, speed, compatibility, BIOS visibility ) using your storages.
- (logically) name your storages as sto1, sto2, sto3

Any installation must be made using only one storage connected to its place in accordance with the plan.
Anything not related to a specific installation shoud be (physically) removed.

Start by configuring BIOS Setup for macOS (keep everthing to UEFI, no CSM , no TPM, no Legacy, etc)
Say macOs will be associated with connector con1 and storage sto1.
Insert/connect only sto1 and install macOS. Test the main functionality (LAN, WiFi, BT, audio, Updates, sleep/wake, etc) for the installed macOS. Make notes (done / to be done).

Power off the PC. Remove power plug. Remove the macOS storage (sto1).
Say sto2 will be used by Windows.
Insert/connect only sto2 and install Windows. Try to not change BIOS settings "to make room" for Windows.
If you do, make notes, it could affect macOS later !
Test the main functionality for Windows (drivers, updates,etc).

Power off the PC. Remove power plug. Attach the macOS storage (sto1) to con1 as Windos's storage (sto2) is already in its place.

So, each OS was installed in a standalone fashion. Each has its EFI partition , there are no interferences between them.

At boot time, from picker, you shoud be able to choose which OS you want to work with.
Do not forget to reset Nvram whenever you modify EFI's items.

Test this dual boot system, make changes if necessary.
Keep in mind : macOS/Linux and Windows will try to alter the RTClock in BIOS.
You may opt to configure Windows to also keep the UTC (not local) time in BIOS ( it is a simple Registry edit)

============================

For installing the 3rd storage (con3 / sto3) dedicated to Linux, you shoud follow the steps above.

Do not edit BIOS.
Power off the PC. Remove power plug. Remove the macOS storage (sto1) and Windows storage (sto2).
Clearly, con3 / sto3 will be used by Linux OS. Attach sto3 to con3 and install Linux. Test the main functionality for Linux (see above).

When everything (related to Linux ) is OK, then .....

Power off the PC. Remove power plug. Add the macOS storage (sto1) and Windows storage (sto2).

==============

PS : Making the Linux icon (not just some random item) appearing in OC picker may not be straightforward... but here you must read/check/experiment/note what others have said/done.

Also, Dortania has some hints here :

Add relevant facts to the initial plan along the journey !

Hope it helps.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Installation of each OS, since you are using separate drives is simple. Install a drive, install an OS (Suggest Mac OS first as it has special setting needs in the BIOS/UEFI - note some UEFI settings can be spoofed in the OC settings).
When you get this OS up and running and booting properly with OC, shutdown and remove the drive.
Install drive for second OS and install as if this would be the only OS. When you get it booting and operating properly shutdown, remove the drive.
Install drive for third OS and install as if this would be the only OS. When you get it booting and operating properly shutdown.
Install the other two drives and boot to Mac OS.

Now comes the fun part. You have to modify settings in OC to enable it to initialize the Windows boot and the linux boot files so you can boot them from OC.

Have fun. This will be a learning experience for you that you will not forget.
Let us know if you have any hair left when you get everything booting properly:mrgreen:

Let us know if you have any hair left when you get everything booting
This is what dermatologists call hackopecia areata, hair loss due to configuring
a multiboot macOS system. Even minoxidil can't cure this form of hair loss.

Back