Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra Does NOT Boot with MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 System Definitions

I recreated the config file via multibeast and was able to get sierra loaded! after it loads however no networking works, tried to inject some ktext files but ended up just breaking bluetooth. how can I reenable the networking?

Well, well, what do you know. Sierra works with a Mac Pro4,1 Sys Def.

I was checking out upgrade paths for my X58A today and had El Capitan drive in it when I booted it that had a MacPro 5,1 SysDef set up in the config.plist in the EFI Clover folder so I could download Sierra.
I downloaded Sierra, created a USB installed with an iMac14,2 SysDef since TMX86 says this is now going to be default in UniBeast going forward with Clover boot loader.
Then I cloned the drive, rebooted to the Clone and ran the Clover installer to update Clover and get the boot0ss file installed to MBR on the clone drive.
I then removed the config.plist from the clone's EFI/Clover folder (I left the DSDT in place) and shut down.
I removed the original drive for safe keeping and booted the clone with the USB I created to see if it showed the iMac Sys DEF.
Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 8.47.56 AM.png and there it was in all its glory.

Since I wanted to check both upgrade paths and it was right there, I ran the Install Sierra app as if this was a real Mac and it went right on and upgraded with no problems.
And then I find that iMac 14,2 is horrible Sys Def for this hardware!:thumbdown Took 5 minutes for the dock and command bar to appear.
Apps are slow to launch, icon bounces a dozen times in the dock before Safari launches, takes 10 minutes for the forum home page to launch and completely finish loading and clicking on any link gets a blank screen with "Safari is unable to load this page" errors.
Everything is too slow and half the time unable to complete.

So, I had this config.plist on the desktop that I thought was the same as the one I removed, so I threw it into the EFI/Clover folder, ejected the USB and rebooted.

Desktop came right up with dock and command bar, everything is fast and snappy so I went to get some screen shots and found something strange - the Mac Pro version was not there - should have been Mid 2010 from the Sysdef I had in the config.plist.
Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 4.22.12 PM.png and lo and behold! It thinks it is a MacPro4,1!!
The Sysdef was the old one from El Capitan not the 5,1 I had to use to get the App Store to allow the Sierra download.

So, it looks as if you cannot download Sierra and you cannot install Sierra with the 4,1 SysDef, but you can use it after installation.
Note also that I am having no problems with non-ECC RAM either after the install is complete.

Can some of you other X58A owners verify if this works on your rigs?

Was re reading the thread above which states "This is a pain for real Mac Pros, as they now have to trick the OS into supporting their platform." Silly question, where are the instructions / procedures for doing this on a real MacPro?

Was re reading the thread above which states "This is a pain for real Mac Pros, as they now have to trick the OS into supporting their platform." Silly question, where are the instructions / procedures for doing this on a real MacPro?
There's no support here for Real Mac's...

Last edited:
The line you have highlighted is Bus speed, not the speed of the RAM. If your RAM shows up as 1333 Mhz and it's actually rated at that speed, you're fine. If your RAM is rated to be faster, you need to enable XMP detection in Clover Configurator with your config.plist file loaded.
It's OK, I have another hackintosh in my house which is using 6th Intel gen. I already upgraded to Sierra and now It shows up as 2400 Mhz. I remember that it showed up as 2133 Mhz when it was El Capitan. I have no overclock and enabled XMP detection. I just wonder why they are different.

Back