Contribute
Register

Mac Pro (late 2013) replica

Status
Not open for further replies.
And finally what kind of PSU you are going to use. Internal or External. What brand and model and peak power? Looks good JuanLobo.:) Luck!

Best Regards:wave:

I'm using the Silverstone ST45SF-G. It will be internal, at the base. It is a 450watt unit, and all the reviews have been good that I have seen.

First power up of motherboard went fine... at least I know all the electronic bits appear to work.

The hollow base plate gives me another 3cm of height to spread things out a bit more. If anyone wants the STL file, I can post it, but I figured once construction has truly started, all of us building will probably break out into our own Topics here, and I can post all the stuff there.

Ordered a 3D print of the base plate from Shapeways. REALLY expensive, but I really wasn't looking forward to the alternatives for making the base.

JuanLobo good choice. Excellent PSU, although its size is ATX and I think their noise and heat will also be ATX, but that you've already had in mind. I can not imagine what position you're going to fit into the trash. To see how it suits the 3D print. Mucha suerte y buen trabajo!:thumbup:
Regards

From what I have seen, 3D prints out of extruded PLA or ABS are cheap, but they are very rough. I didn't want to spend hours and hours sanding, so went with laser sintered plastic. Much more expensive, but I hope the finish will only need light sanding to make it look decent.

The walls of the case keep closing in. I really couldn't believe they were really 5mm thick, but they start out at about 4mm thick, and then go up to maybe 7.5mm thick as they get closer to the top. That is really putting the squeeze on room.

Those plain aluminum rails are looking more like they were done out of necessity than for being easy to get. Now I see why Sascha had to cut away a section below the back panel. I would really like to avoid that, but it may be the only way to slide the cover on.

Bamboreta, the PSU is SFX (100mm deep x 120mm wide x 63mm tall). The side of the PSU is the same size as a 2.5" drive. At idle, it was nearly silent. No idea yet how loud it will be under load.

what are you plans to build this?

- - - Updated - - -

Vinny, thanks for pointing out 123d. That program does exactly what I wanted!

It also works a lot like an ancient mac 3d program I used to use. It felt almost natural to use.

I LOVE the online app. The offline application, not so much. But, took a picture in the offline application as it renders better.

View attachment 81737

What are you plans when building this?

The new Mac Pro is definitely a masterful piece of electronic art. Now if Mavericks 10.9.2 will just smooth out the iOS for us ..

wnxm.jpg

[video=youtube;h5_-sYIOD6M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5_-sYIOD6M#t=51[/video]

Complete Teardown

--------------------------------------------------

Anyone got a 3d printer? I want to do this so I will be follow your guides as soon as they become available.

Also, here is a tear down on ifixit
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac+Pro+Late+2013+Teardown/20778

image.jpg

Can we get specs on the top fan cover? I would like to make a 3D print of it

what are you plans to build this?

I'm not sure I understand. When? I'm working on it now. What will I do with the base? The SFX power supply sits in the center of it, a separator platform on top of the PSU, and then the rest of the components above that. Further down the thread are a couple pictures of a rough draft of the layout for my variation of Sascha's design.

As for the upper fan... Sasha skipped duplicating it, and I will too. I don't know where to get a centrifugal fan like Apple uses, and even if there is one off the shelf, I'm not sure how well it will work without a true "thermal core" like in the real Mac Pro.

BytesAndBolts design may have room at the top for a replica of the Mac Pro top fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back