Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.7.2 Update - The Official Thread (Desktops)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, after 500 KPs of every variety and every possible combination of bootloaders, kexts and plist editing here's what finally got me past "still waiting for root device":

1) From working 10.7 install I moved all kexts from Extra/Extensions to System/Library/Extensions, deleting extensions.mkext in the process
2) Deleted SleepEnabler from S/L/E, repaired permissions with Kext Utility
3) Copied S/L/E to desktop then the rebooted
4) All seemed well so pressed on with 10.7.2 Combo update
5) When installer finished didn't reboot but force quit installer
6) Used DiffMerge to compare the post-update S/L/E with the copy on my desktop.
7) Didn't seem to be too many major differences so deleted AppleHDA.kext (since I use VoodooHDA) and AppleIntelHD3000.kext as it was new and I don't use it
8) Copied old versions of IOUSBFamily.kext and IODVDFamily.kext from desktop to S/L/E using Kext Utility then allowed it to repair permissions.
9) Rebooted for the 100th time today with -v flag just to see and Hey Presto! Shiny 10.7.2 desktop
10) Decided I might just buy the real thing as I reckon life may be too short for much more of this. But then where'd be the fun in that?

Incidentally I got iCloud etc going by changing the serial using Champlist, and deleting network preferences as described in other posts.

YMMV. Bon chance.

on a GA Z68MA D2h b3 V9
I loaded LION on clean using UNIBEAST then updated using the the downloaded install pack then multibeast WORKS but lost audio (ALC 889)

Re: Mac OS X 10.7.2 Update - The Official Thread

dlwilliams12 said:
Kernel Panic. Voodoo audio. I cannot boot into safe mode either after the update. Can anyone help?

Try using the an rboot disk to boot into lion. rboot can be found in tonymac downloads page.

Re: Mac OS X 10.7.2 Update - The Official Thread

digit432 said:
dlwilliams12 said:
Kernel Panic. Voodoo audio. I cannot boot into safe mode either after the update. Can anyone help?

Try using the an rboot disk to boot into lion. rboot can be found in tonymac downloads page.

I'm having no luck getting rboot to work. I updated my system to 10.7.2 *the one in my signature* and I'm getting the ''still waiting on root device" no matter how I boot. I had a 99% functioning system prior to updating from 10.7. I've read this whole thread and am stuck.

Help please?

Was able to boot into an old installation using rboot. Can I point the multibeast installer towards the drive with 10.7.2 and fix whatever problems I caused by updating?

jorpe said:
Was able to boot into an old installation using rboot. Can I point the multibeast installer towards the drive with 10.7.2 and fix whatever problems I caused by updating?

You can certainly try. Run the installer then after choosing options it will give you the option to change install location, after which you might have to choose the options again.

If you get it running again find an old HDD and use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy your working install. Don't forget to make it bootable by using Multibeast to install Chimera like I just described. Will save you hours of heartbreak, means you can boot into the backup to muck about with kexts etc on your main install if it KPs, and also revert completely and start again if it's all going wrong.

I too am having Voodoo audio problems after updating to 10.7.2.

1. Installed 10.7, ran easybeast and system utilities. I did not install audio kexts at that point.
2. Then I updated using the 10.7.2 combo. No problems.
3. Used Multibeast to install VoodooHda.kext. Also ran system utilities.
4. Reboot.......Kernel Panic! (VoodooHDA)

DId I forget to do something important?

I can boot in using Single-User mode (-s) and the audio will be working, but I'd rather just boot in properly.

StudioK said:
I too am having Voodoo audio problems after updating to 10.7.2.

1. Installed 10.7, ran easybeast and system utilities. I did not install audio kexts at that point.
2. Then I updated using the 10.7.2 combo. No problems.
3. Used Multibeast to install VoodooHda.kext. Also ran system utilities.
4. Reboot.......Kernel Panic! (VoodooHDA)

DId I forget to do something important?

I can boot in using Single-User mode (-s) and the audio will be working, but I'd rather just boot in properly.

Did you delete AppleHDA.kext? You should. Also see my post above re IOUSBFamily.kext etc

Thanks for the advice. I must say that reading through that 10-step process makes my head spin.
MAy I just delete the AppleHDA.kext and be done with it? Perhaps follow that by running Disk Utility's repair permissions? I don't really know how to use Kext Utility properly and haven't had luck with it in the past?
Voodoo worked fine in 10.7.0. It seems that 10.7.2 has issues with it using my Intel board.

@StudioK I'm no expert but I don't think 2 audio kexts is a good idea so defo lose the apple one.

Kext utility is a doddle, to install kexts into S/L/E just drag them onto the kext utility icon, it'll put them in the right place then repair your permissions, rebuild cache etc. Run it on its own from the icon to repair permissions after you delete any kexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back