Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys;

My main system updated without issues, but another one didn't. It had the "[ PCI Configuration begin ]" issue.

My main system . . .
Zotac H55ITX-A-E
Chameleon RC5 r877
FakeSMC 3.1.0 and Extra Plugins
EVGA GT 220, 1GB graphics card
8Gb RAM

The problem system . . .
All same except for Asus GT 220, 1GB graphics card
and 4GB rAM

I have posted a mini fix guide on page one of the Zotac H55ITX-A-E DSDT Guide . . .
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=12940&p=82789#p82789

What is happening on some systems is two kext in System/Library/Extensions that are being updated cause the "[ PCI Configuration begin ]" issue. AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.3.5 and IOPCIFamily.kext version 2.6 are being replaced with AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.3.6 and IOPCIFamily.kext version 2.6.5.

The simple solution, and I think the correct one, is to restore the previous versions.

The guide deals with procedure.

Thanks

tonymacx86 said:
iBoot 3.1.1 released with PCI configuration fix.

10.6.8 COMBO UPDATE CAUSES KERNEL PANICS FROM 10.6.7
To solve this, remove the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext from IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext plugins folder before running the 10.6.8 Combo update.

Safe Update Method:
1. Right-click /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext
2. Choose Show Package Contents
3. Navigate to Contents, then Plugins folder
4. Delete ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext
5. Run System Utilities with MultiBeast
6. Reboot
7. Run 10.6.8 Combo Update
8. Reboot

Automatic removal tool coming shortly. ;)

Weird. Not only did this solve my 10.8.6 non-boot problem, it also solved my lack of sound problem. Hoo-ray!

I installed from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 through software update. Upon restarting, I got a KP, but I used iBoot to get back into my installation. From there, I opened MultiBeast and re-installed chimera, my system definition (Mac Pro 4,1), and the 64 bit Apple boot screen, and voila! My system rebooted and is running great, and in 64 bit, too!

Last edited by a moderator:
hi

i have H55M-USB3 and GTS250.

and i still get the [PCI configuration begin] hangup :(
any suggestions?

i have replaced the IOPCI.. with the one from page1 already and run repair permissions.

thanks
S

Ok I tried to re-install to 10.6.7 and I had no end of issues not sure why though. SO I chose to go back to 10.6.8

I installed with iboot 2.7 or something, because my system WILL NOT ever boot the disc with the iboot 3.0 or 3.1 disc tried and it failed! So I have now got 10.6.8 running as good as I think it can be. Not sure though as I have a Asus P55 board which should work with minimal changes and no DSDT (at least it did in 10.6.7), not sure if this still applies though.
My main question is this: I have 10.6.8 and everywhere I read that the new loading screen is the apple without the cog but mine still shows up. DO you think there is a problem here and has this affected my install?

I am curious to know this

Thanks

Asus P7P55d-E, i7 860, 8GB DDR 3 1333MHz RAM
ATI XFX RADEON HD 5770 1GB

Everything works fine here :D Just did the software update to 10.6.8 Sleep and everything works great! Did not update Multibeast. There is one thing though... the NovaBench is about 100 points lower. Mainly the graphics. Will try to update the Multibeast and see if its getting better.

Did update to the latest Multibeast. The NovaBench is about the same.

With 10.6.8 the FPU is a little better than (last test) 10.6.6 But the Integer are slower. Md5 is also slower. Graphics was 687 now it is 596... The Hdd was 74MB/s now it is 66 MB/s

So what to do with that?

I also had the PCI configuration issue, and then tried to update my DSDT as described above, using the DSDT editor from here: http://www.kexts.com/content/273-dsdt-e ... tcher.html , found the location, changed _ADR to _UID, saved the DSDT, then installed this DSDT with MultiBeast using the 'User DSDT' option - and now I get a kernel panic if I try to boot either 32 bit or 64 bit. even if I try to boot -v -f (ignore caches)

the panic says:

Code:
Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n~@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.15.3./lokit/Kernel/HSPPlatformExport.cpp:1307

so now I have a nonworking system :( is there any way to re-install another DSDT if I can't boot into the system because of this kernel panic? :(

Hi guys I update from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 I did run the combo update and i run the multibeast and i restart after that and everything was fine but this morning i turn on my computer and i get the kernel panic i try to restart but now my mouse and keyboard don't work and i can't see anything on my monitor and i can't access my bios anybody can help. Thanks for your help in advance.

10.6.8 kicked my a$$. After 6 hours.... my give up.
10.6.7 is fine and stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back