Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.7 Early 2011 iMac Sandy Bridge Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
lokisfenrir said:
Just to add my steps:

- Installed 10.6
- Combo Update to 10.6.6 then booted with legacy kernel, FakeSMC, Disabler (ready for later)
- iMac Early 2011 10.6.7 Delta update then booted vanilla kernel with GraphicsEnabler=Yes (Important for me as 10.6.7 brought native Fermi support for my GTX 470)
- ALC89xx Enabler for the ALC892 on my P8P67 Pro.

No CPU features like speedstep disabled in kernel. Full CPU speed, CI/QE. Haven't bothered checking sleep/speedstep functions as I don't need either.

Any problems with hangs regarding com.apple.iokit not being loaded along the way - use arch=i386. Hangs which occur after DSMOS has arrived yet no GUI loading - graphics problems, try using GFX enabler.

Which GTX 470 have you exactly? Does everything works fine with the GTX 470?

And does somebody know if the new nVidia Drivers also works with the GTX 560 Ti / GTX 460?

tonymacx86 said:
Apple's released a version of the 10.6.7 Update for Early 2011 iMacs.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1383

To Use:
Extract files using Pacifist and install.
http://www.charlessoft.com/

New Stuff:
-Darwin 10.7.4 kernel with Sandy Bridge Support
-New AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
-Thunderbolt shows up in System Profiler
Thunderbolt.png

-Intel 6 Series Chipset showing up in System Profiler
6series.png

-New ATI Drivers: ex. ATI6000Controller 1.6.34.13 (9707)
-New NVIDIA Fermi Drivers: ex. NVDAGF100Hal 1.6.34.13 (256.02.05f01)

Initial Findings:
-iMac11,1 smbios gives speedstep and good Geekbench numbers (according to MSR Tools)
-MacPro3,1 (or kext edit) still necessary for proper 3d performance with NVIDIA drivers
-Still need 32x Multiplier to boot my Gigabyte test rig (GA-H67MA-UD2H) :(

NOTE: A second 10.6.7 Early 2011 MacBook Pro Update also released, same stuff is included.

Hey tonymac, I am able to extract everything with Pacifist, but I'm unclear on your install process. I currently am running 10.6.5 and I have a GTX 460 that works perfectly (as far as I've seen so far) with the exception of screen rotation, so I was interested in this update. However, given that you wanted to extract with Pacifist (rather than just installing the .dmg natively), I just want to make sure I understand the process. How is everyone installing this? Using multibeast? And are you just installing certain elements of it or the whole thing?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops, I have 10.6.6 actually... if that matters.

zekejm said:
Hey tonymac, I am able to extract everything with Pacifist, but I'm unclear on your install process. I currently am running 10.6.5 and I have a GTX 460 that works perfectly (as far as I've seen so far) with the exception of screen rotation, so I was interested in this update. However, given that you wanted to extract with Pacifist (rather than just installing the .dmg natively), I just want to make sure I understand the process. How is everyone installing this? Using multibeast? And are you just installing certain elements of it or the whole thing?

Thanks in advance!

Hold tight on the nVidia install - new version of MultiBeast is on its way with nVidia updated integrated into it and it can install the nVidia files for you !

It should be released with in the next hour or so. Watch out for the announcement.

Edit:
It's OUT !!!

Hehe doh! I got adventurous and just extracted the NVDA* and Geforce* kexts/bundles and then replaced them in /System/Library/Extensions and then ran Multibeast to repair permissions/caches. Hopefully this will work...? But good to know that if I totally failed, Multibeast can come through and save me.

I guess my concern from my original post was that I don't know whether I need to actually update to the 10.6.7 kernel or whether just using these new drivers is fine or both?

Thanks!

notshy said:
zekejm said:

Thanks in advance!

Hold tight on the nVidia install - new version of MultiBeast is on its way with nVidia updated integrated into it and it can install the nVidia files for you !

It should be released with in the next hour or so. Watch out for the announcement.

So the GTX 460 is now supported 100% without freezes?

I didn't have any freezes before this, but I don't know for sure what people were doing to make that happen. After my little adventure just now, I got a KP, but rebooted okay though I don't have any different resolution choices than 1024x768 and it's not picking up my second monitor (though it all looks mostly okay in System Profiler). I'll probably just wait for the new multibeast at this point and go ahead and reinstall them.

I'm willing to test for freezing if someone can elaborate how they're getting that to happen...

Thanks!

hello can I only upgrade the nvidia driver, without doing a 10.6.7 install ? my machine works OK... just fermi freze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back