Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.4 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure this doesn't have anything to do with the 250 in general- it's a well known and working card. There hasn't been any reason to think that this card has been phased out or anything. More testing is needed.

Herb- I'd do a full reinstall on a blank drive- then update to 10.6.4 and run your settings with UserDSDT from the new MultiBeast. It should be ok after that.

And if for some reason it is that card, let's make sure we test it so others don't purchase it. :D

auntyjamima said:
BTW, does your graphics card emit a high frequency noise when you listen up close?

Yes ... in my case it started with MoBo change ... probably bad shielded sound chip ... or .... I can be totally wrong :lol:

tonymacx86 said:
I'm pretty sure this doesn't have anything to do with the 250 in general- it's a well known and working card. ...

I needed to hear this ... Thank you Tony :clap: ... because I was starting to be a bit afraid about 250GTS+OSX functionality :rolleyes:

Herb said:
As Tony can confirm, I have a bizarre system. I was running 10.6.2 with no problems. 10.6.3 killed it, as did 10.6.4. I'm tracking down the weirdness. I think it's all related to my MSI N250GTS 1G Twin Frozr.

Each MultiBeast 2.0.1 install below includes rebuilding the cache and permissions.

Clean 10.6 install -> Upgrade 10.6.4 -> MultiBeast 2.0.1 User DSDT-> Reboot = CRASH

Boot to backup 10.6.2 -> Copy all Nvidia files to 10.6.4 System/Extensions -> Reboot = 1024 - No Sound. (Weirdness: Almost all kexts are folders. Tony saw this. Ran Cocktail and they were fixed and stayed fixed through the following steps.)

MB install Realtek1000SL -> Reboot = CRASH

Boot to backup 10.6.2 -> Copy Nvidia files again -> Reboot = 1024 - No Sound.

MB install LegacyHDA / ALC888 -> Reboot =CRASH

Download (from site) and install 10.6.2 AppleHDAInstaller -> Reboot =CRASH

Boot to backup 10.6.2 -> Copy Nvidia files again -> Reboot = 1024 - I HAVE SOUND!

Obviously each component install and rebuild alters the video extensions and crashes the system. I'm glad I figured this out. I have a semi functioning system.

So I'm stuck at 1024 and have orange icons. Things could be worse :?
What version BIOS are you using?

MacMan, I thought you were asking about the MSI card....Ooops.

I am using F8 on my motherboard.

Herb said:
As Tony can confirm, I have a bizarre system. I was running 10.6.2 with no problems. 10.6.3 killed it, as did 10.6.4. I'm tracking down the weirdness. I think it's all related to my MSI N250GTS 1G Twin Frozr.

Each MultiBeast 2.0.1 install below includes rebuilding the cache and permissions.

Clean 10.6 install -> Upgrade 10.6.4 -> MultiBeast 2.0.1 User DSDT-> Reboot = CRASH

Boot to backup 10.6.2 -> Copy all Nvidia files to 10.6.4 System/Extensions -> Reboot = 1024 - No Sound. (Weirdness: Almost all kexts are folders. Tony saw this. Ran Cocktail and they were fixed and stayed fixed through the following steps.)

MB install Realtek1000SL -> Reboot = CRASH

MB install LegacyHDA / ALC888 -> Reboot =CRASH

Download (from site) and install 10.6.2 AppleHDAInstaller -> Reboot =CRASH

Boot to backup 10.6.2 -> Copy Nvidia files again -> Reboot = 1024 - I HAVE SOUND!

Obviously each component install and rebuild alters the video extensions and crashes the system. I'm glad I figured this out. I have a semi functioning system.

So I'm stuck at 1024 and have orange icons. Things could be worse :?

I have the same video card (well, the OC'd version-- bought it by accident). Anyway, I'm running 10.6.3 just fine. My only issue is autosleep won't shut down the cpu fan 100% of the time. It sleeps manually perfectly.

sshack,

Dude! We need to talk. IM me and let's compare notes. Or get on the chat here.

I'd greatly appreciate it.

Herb

*sigh*
I thought the upgrade to 10.6.4 went smoothly, but just now I when I went to burn a disk it wouldn't show on the desktop. A quick look at System Profiler gave me, "No disc burning device was found. If the device is external, make sure it’s connected and turned on."

I booted into my backup 10.6.3 to see if there was something I missed, but System Profiler listed my DVD burner there. Sticking in a DVD showed it on the desktop and it played in DVD Player.app, so I'm ruling out hardware issues.

I haven't a clue what's wrong. Any suggestions?

[Fixed]

I say "fixed" and not "solved." I still have no idea why the system wasn't seeing the DVD drive. Reapplying the combo update didn't change anything. Made a backup of my backup (so I'd have access to a DVD player if the update to the backup failed), then applied the 10.6.4 update to the backup. The update went smoothly. In fact, it went more smoothly than the update to my main volume in that the DVD burner was recognized and I still had sound. I copied over the Extra and Extensions folders to my main volume, blessed them with Kext Utility, and tried to run MultiBeast 2.0.2, which failed. I was able to run MB 2.0, though. A restart and I booted into my main volume, where I got an instant kernel panic. I was able to reboot into safe mode, ran MB 2.0 again, and restarted. This time all was well, with System Profiler showing my formerly MIA DVD burner as hoped. Weird. o_O

Ran combo update and rebooted without a problem.

i5 750
8GB ram
nvidia 9400 GT
GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2
F10

I don't use onboard sound, so that is not tested.

Guv is right. 10.6.4 is a problem for lots of people: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... &tstart=15

"It appears to be 'only' happening on Macs with an nvidia graphics card or chipset, and is an apparent problem with certain OpenGL routines (not all) and the NV50HAL Graphics Driver that ships with 10.6.4
It also render CUDA (3.0.14) unusable).
nvidia are aware of the problem, and there is a bug report with Apple.
What they are doing, and time frame is a question only they can answer..."

On a side note, I somehow managed to get 1920 x 1080! But no acceleration. I had been using 10.6.1 versions of NVDANV40, NVDANV50 and NVDAResman. Why they just decided to give me fullscreen at this point, I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back