GA-Z97X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I went from 8GB to 16GB to avoid page swaps even though activity monitor still showed a large amount of inactive RAM not being used. Still with plenty of RAM avaiable osX decides to use the VM.
Is this an issue with the OS or the apps? Will this be fixed in ML? is it worse in osx86?
I run Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge and the usual apps like Safari, Mail and iTunes.
I've read about the SL tweak disabling the VM but this probably won't work on Lion.
The purge command is another option but I would like to use a more permanent tweak.
Why doesn't mac release all the inactive RAM and instead just run out of FREE? I mean, what use is there in going to 32 or 64GB if it still uses the swap and runs out of free RAM.
I'm going to buy an SSD next week to make the swapping a bit faster. I love mac and will probably never go back to windows but this isn't a bug anymore but a major flaw in the OS management.

Is there a cure for this guys?

Attachments

• Inactive RAM.png
    Inactive RAM.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 178
you need to google on how OSX memory management works. it's going to cache everything, in your case it has about 10GB of RAM that is simply storing old data that is cached in case you launch those apps or documents again.

Active is what your apps are currently using.

In short, you aren't running out of RAM or using VM because of RAM issues.

perfect knowledge

You're not in Windows anymore. Just let OSX do it's thing. ... i.e. no need to buy those $0.99 apps that claim to free your memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back