M.2 SSD Not Recognized In Monterey Installer

Motherboard
Asus ROG XII Apex
CPU
i9-10900KF
Graphics
GTX 1070
Good day all,

Currently on first Hackintosh build, and running into problems with Monterey install where my SSD will not show in the installer, Disk Utility, or diskutil.

SSD: WD Black SN770 1TB
CPU: i9-10900KF
MB: Asus ROG Maximus XII Apex (Z490)

Drive is currently partitioned and running Win 11. Drive shows in OpenCore. There is a secondary M.2 drive (Samsung 980 Pro) for data, but currently not utiltized. This also will not show in the installer; however, this is not surprising for me, given the compatibility issues with Samsung and Monterey. SATA drive is set to AHCI in the BIOS.

So far, I have tried the following:
- Resetting NVRAM
- The NvmExpressDxe.efi driver
- The NVMeFix kext

I've searched the forums for the same issue and have not found a working solution in them. I've attached my config.plist file.

Any ideas here would be very much appreciated!

Attachments

• config.plist
    47.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Any luck on this? I have i7-7700K, Asus Hero IX motherboard, Samsung SSD, and nVidia 1060. Sierra works just fine. I upgraded to Crucial P3 4TB and AMD 6600 GPU. OpenCore will not boot from USB. I receive only a black screen. OpenCore Legacy Patcher does not even recognize any of my drives including USB drives.

PowerVibe,
Have not seen your EFI folder, but in your config.plist you have Kernel/Add items all enabled. Some are needed, many are not. Also you cannot use an nVidia GTS 1070 (or any nVidia Maxwell or Pascal graphics card) with Mac OS later than Mac OS High Sierra version 10.13.6 (Build 17G14042). To run Mojave or later versions of MacOS you must use an AMD graphics card or else a supported internal graphics processor.

ZeusOdin,
What version of OpenCore are you using? Current is 0.9.7 from here. Follow the OpenCore Install guide in left column for "KabyLake" and also read this.

Last edited:
I am using OpenCore 0.9.7. I am sure that I am making a basic mistake but it is certainly not obvious to me. I was able to create a bootable installation disk for Monterey without error but my PC simply can't boot from it. My PC was built in 2017. Attached is my latest log. I don't think OpenCore recognizes the RX 6600. The screen is always black.

I will start from scratch again in a few days.

Attachments

• opencore-2024-02-05-012213.txt
    256 KB · Views: 3
I don't think OpenCore recognizes the RX 6600. The screen is always black.
Bootarg.jpg

Thanks, a great deal for your reply. I am familiar with agdpmod=pikera. I added that boot argument more than a week ago. My biggest issue was, for reasons unknown to me, I copied the EFI folder to the root directory of the USB drive instead of the ESP of the USB drive. Even though I haven't installed macOS since 2017, this is still a very rookie mistake. This is why the USB installer never worked. That's fixed. Boots fine.

I now receive the chooser menu and I select "Install macOS Monterey." So far so good. Then the installation just stops. The installation never makes it to the desktop. Nothing stands out in the log file. A number of bootable partitions on the NVMe drives are recognized, so that is very hopeful.

Attachments

• opencore-2024-02-07-121704.txt
    44.6 KB · Views: 3
The biggest issue was misplacing the EFI folder. After that was corrected, these needed correcting:

1. ProvideConsoleGop = True
2. Removed duplicate USBInjectAll.kext from Kernel / Add
3. Optimized BIOS settings
4. Changed installation language from Russian to English

I now get the macOS Install Monterey desktop on both monitors at the proper resolution. Great. The installation does not recognize either of my Crucial P3 Plus 4TB NVMe drives. I was able to install to an older SSD but now am in the dreaded boot loop black screen.

I removed MLB, ROM, SystemSerialNumber, and SystemUUID. Hope that suffices.

Thanks so much for your help.

Attachments

• boot.loop.txt
    39.2 KB · Views: 2
  • EFI-i7700-AMD6600.zip
    12.9 MB · Views: 4
  • monterey.install.txt
    42.1 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for uploading your EFI folder. My comments below:

EFI/BOOT
1. The BOOT folder should NOT contain OpenCore.efi. That file is properly in EFI/OC (and it is already there anyway). Also I have never seen a CLOVERX64.efi file in the BOOT folder; I believe that should also be removed.

EFI/OC
2. The ACPI folder should NOT contain DSDT.aml. (This is per the OpenCore Install Guide.)

3. SSDT-EC.aml and SSDT-USBX.aml should be removed from the ACPI folder, since SSDT-EC-USBX.aml replaces both.

4. SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA.aml and SSDT-PLUG.aml should both be removed and replaced by the SSDT-PLUG.aml file in OpenCore-RELEASE-0.9.8/Docs/ACPISamples/Binaries folder. (The SSDT-PLUG.aml file currently in the ACPI folder seems to be mis-edited, although I'm not sure.)

5. In the Drivers folder, why do you need HfsPlusLegacy.efi if you have HfsPlus.efi?

6. In USBMap.kext/Contents/info.plist, the USB port description looks like a MacOS "default" configuration. There are 14 USB2.0 "HSxx" and one "SS01" port shown. No other USB3 ("SSxx") ports at all. Is that what you want?
USBMap info.plist.jpg

EFI/OC/config.plist
7. In ACPI/Add, change as required to match the updated ACPI folder contents.

8. In Kernel/Add, you have Lilu in position 4. It needs to precede IntelMausi.kext (position 3), and in fact is a good idea to put Lilu in position 0 to precede everything so that it loads first.

9. In Kernel/Patch/10, you have enabled that patch. This is just FYI since I have no idea what that does.

10. Check out the recommended Quirks in Kernel/Quirks. I think I see at least one error (AppleXcpmExtraMsrs Value is recommended to be NO.)
Kernel Quirks.jpg

11. In Misc/Boot/PickerMode, you have Value=Builtin. If you want to use OpenCanopy for the OpenCore GUI, you should change the Value to External.

12. In UEFI/Drivers, you are missing OpenCanopy.efi (enable only if you want to use that function).

13. In UEFI/Quirks you have ReleaseUSBOwnership Value=YES. The guide says NO. (Typo?)

I'm sure I missed something, but maybe this will help.

Last edited:
@wstrohm thanks so much for your help. I have been able to install both Monterey and Ventura. I bought the RX 6600 six months ago. I have not had accelerated video in macOS in 6 months. It is so nice to have accelerated video again in macOS!

However, all is not good. My PC randomly turns off and will not wake from a deep sleep. XScreenSaver is fine but once the monitors go into sleep mode, they remain black and will not turn back on. I have to reboot.

I also run FreeBSD, Arch Linux, and Windows 10. These OS'es never turned off (crashed with no warning) before. They now turn off randomly regardless of whether I am currently using the PC. So this leads me to believe that a BIOS setting is causing this issue. I more expected macOS to behave poorly but the other OS'es to be fine. This clearly is not the case.

I checked SSDT-RHUB to see if my Asus motherboard required it. It does not. But again this SSDT affects only macOS and none of my other OS'es. I just loaded Optimized Defaults in my BIOS and will start from scratch. Again. Lol

Back