Graphics
ATI HD5450 & Intel HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I would like to add a second Dell U2711 monitor to my setup but I would need a low profile graphics card for it.
My current U2711 is handled by the internal HD4000 chipset through the Displayport connector but unfortunately the HD4000 DVI or HDMI output does not support the 2560x1440 resolution of the Dell U2711.

My setup is as follows:
Streacom FC8 EVO Black Case with passive heatpipe cooling
Mini-box picoPSU 160-XT 160W power supply
Power Adapter DC 12V 100W
Intel DH77DF MoBo
Intel Core i7 3770T 2,5GHz CPU (45W)
Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M2A1600C10 2x8GB PC3-12800 CL10 DDR3 RAM
Samsung 830 256GB SSD
Western Digital Green WD20NPVT 5400rpm 2TB HDD
Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT 5400rpm 500GB HDD
Sony Optiarc AD-7690H DVD

Since I have a small case with a small power supply I am looking for a fanless low profile card with the lowest power consumption and the lowest temperature. I am not a gamer so it doesn't have to be a powerful card. Mountain Lion compatibility is a must of course.

What would be my best choice for a graphics card?

The ASUS ENGT210 silent would be a good choice, but I don't think the heat sink would fit in your case.

Your best bet, given the size of your case, would probably be the Zotac GT210 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500237&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards - just detach the VGA cable, replace the standard bracket with the low profile one and install it.

Is the GT210 out of the box compatible with Mountain Lion?

I am now looking at this one: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=512-P3-1311-KR
That card has a pretty small heatsink so it should fit.

I installed the EVGA GT210 card today but I have some problems.
If I install the card and don't connect a monitor to it and keep my dual monitors on the HD4000 I get a FC.
When I connect one monitor to the HDMI of the GT210 card the computer boots up but my mouse pointer doesn't move. Also booting up takes a very long time.
I haven't been able to get outputs from the GT210 and HD4000 at the same time no matter what I do.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Does your BIOS have a mulitmode support option that you can select to use both iGPU and PCIe card? You may need to enable this option.

BTW, please fix your sig - see rules:
Signatures are for build descriptions only. Limit descriptions to motherboard, CPU and graphics card(s) only. Maximum of 4 systems and 1 per line with no oversized fonts.

You can do as I have done and link your sig to your build where all your parts are laid out.

I can choose in the BIOS which graphics should be the primary, internal or PCI-E and which port of the internal graphics is the primary port.
I've tried different combinations but no luck so far.

I can choose in the BIOS which graphics should be the primary, internal or PCI-E and which port of the internal graphics is the primary port.
I've tried different combinations but no luck so far.

On the same BIOS page as the first init display settings in the ASUS BIOS there is also an option to use both iGPU and discrete gfx that has to be enabled if you want to use both. Is there no option to do this in your BIOS? If not, you might not be able to. Can you put the first init display to Auto instead of selecting PCIe or iGPU, and will it work that way?

No such option.

I think it's software related because even if I keep the IGP as primary graphics and don't connect a monitor to the GT210 shouldn't the system boot up normally with two monitors attached to the IGP? Instead I get a FC when booting almost finished.

No such option.

I think it's software related because even if I keep the IGP as primary graphics and don't connect a monitor to the GT210 shouldn't the system boot up normally with two monitors attached to the IGP? Instead I get a FC when booting almost finished.

So you can't put the selection on auto and let the BIOS figure it out?

What is FC? Do you mean KP (kernel panic)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back