Graphics
Intel 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
TL;DR - I need Buyer's Guide from 2012 or so that covers LGA115 motherboards.

So a few weeks ago my Customac dies. Poof - dead. Turns out to be the power supply, an OCZ 600W 80+ that I only learn then is out of warranty because of the bankruptcy. So I buy an EVGA 650W 80+ Gold and plug it in only to discover that ALL MY SATA DEVICES ARE DEAD. Sorry for the caps, but I'm still wounded by this. I lost a 4TB WD, an old 500GB Seagate and a barely used DVD burner. I pull the drives and check them with a SATA to USB adapter on my laptop and yes, they are dead. Don't even spin up when connected to power. I send the WD off for warranty replacement at least, but now I turn my attention to the remaining components: CPU, memory and motherboard.

My old board is a GA-H77-DS3H and while it was not without its minor problems it was a reliable board and ran a nice Customac. But with the dead drives I have to wonder if the motherboard, memory and CPU are damaged as well. The system will boot into POST and I can boot off of both my OSX and Win10 recovery USB sticks so I have a feeling the CPU, memory and most of the MB is OK, but what if the SATA ports got fried? I would need to replace the MB, but I'd like to save money by not having to buy a new CPU and RAM. This means finding a MB on eBay or some other site, but I don't remember which boards work best.

Thus, I'm hoping someone has archived TonyMac's buyer's Guide from the Sandy/Ivy Bridge days and can share it with me, please?

Stork, you are a Godsend. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back