Contribute
Register

Loginfailed's Build - i7-3770k / GA-Z77-DS3H / 16GB RAM / 6850

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post and congrats for getting promoted to Golden Builds!
Now, I've got a question. I'm about to get that wifi usb dongle and I've heard lots of good things about it - what I'm concerned with is the wireless network utility thingy. Your script makes it hidden ( as a window ) but does the icon stay in the dock?

The Applescript I posted in the build description only minimizes the Wireless Network Utility window. The application stays open in the dock.

If you want to CLOSE the Wireless Network Utility so that it no longer appears in the dock, the Applescript would need to look like this:
Code:
delay 2

tell application "Wireless Network Utility"
	quit
end tell

Even though the Wireless Network Utility app is closed, the connection is still present in network preference pane and is still active. The WiFi internet connection still works even though the app is closed. As far as I can tell, basically the app needs to be open long enough to make the connection to your WiFi network. Then it can be closed.

I have almost the same build, the only difference is the video card i have a Nvidia geforce gt430 and a 450 watt power suply. But good build man!

Thanks! :D

That's a lovely build.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Very good build. could do more with high end nvidia graphics

Thanks! A GTX 670 is planned as a future upgrade. :headbang:

nice build description :thumbup: I have just done a very quick 1st draft of my own one and yours is inspiring me to go and make my own more complete - like bios screenshots.

2 points -
1st point - I see you selected AppleRTC Patch in multibeast - did you run into something that made you use this? I don't need it on my Z77X-UD5H.

2nd point - try setting the RAM speed manually rather than using Profile 1 - I had wake from sleep issues when I used Profile 1 with this RAM - all issues were resolved by configuring manually - may not be the answer for you as you are using a BT dongle but worth checking.

Thanks, thats great to hear. I've been inspired by a lot of you folks here at tonymacx86.com so its good to pass it on.

I've been using the RTC patch in all of my installs for a while now. I don't remember if I ever had a reset on the DS3H or not. I just applied it out of habit. I don't think it hurts anything if you don't need it and apply it anyway. Maybe I'll try reinstalling without it in the future.

The only wake problem I have is Bluetooth related. But your tip is worth trying so I'll check it out. Besides setting the speed, are there any other related memory settings to adjust?

Nice build ! I have a very similar build, but with nvidia cards and SSDs. Same cooler. 600watt PSU. I like my case better tho ;)

So i think i solved my sleep issues but i would like to narrow down the specifics of the problem.

Difference in settings: BIOS - overclocking to 44 44 44 44, no change in voltage. Memory profile 1, 1800 Mhz at slight increase voltage 1.620. Max temp of core is about 67 with 8x prime 95 runs. normally low-mid 30's. Geekbench 16.7K

Sleep - did not use the cmos reset patch. Finally got it to work with ErP and ECHI both on + darkwake=10. What i don't know what specifically in the combo that made it work or if there was some secondary impact -- perhaps to memory ?

Any issues with sleep or usb recognition after sleep wake ?

Thanks! And yes, I agree the G5 case is very slick. I actually have access to a couple G5 cases that I could use for a G5 mod project. I may still go down that road in the future.

I have not done any over clocking on this build, and only have very limited experience with over clocking in general. So that part is sort of over my head. I'm pretty satisfied with the 14.8k Geekbench.

The only sleep issue I've encountered is with Bluetooth. Granted, Bluetooth is on the USB bus, so it could be a USB problem. There are others with my same Bluetooth dongle that report no issues with wake from sleep. So it could just be USB related or something to do with the way the DS3H handles Bluetooth in general.

Eventually I plan to swap the DS3H for a UP5 TH, so if its a DS3H problem, that should prove or disprove that theory.

regarding setting the RAM manually - all that is needed is to select 16x and set to Turbo - so you will have the same speed as you had when using Profile 1 except set manually. If I set it to Profile 1 it breaks wake from sleep on Apple USB Aluminium KB and Mouse, Microsoft Desktop 800 KB and Mouse (USB dongle 2.4ghz) and with my Apple A1118 Bluetooth module utilising Apple Wireless KB and Magic Mouse or Trackpad.

regarding setting the RAM manually - all that is needed is to select 16x and set to Turbo - so you will have the same speed as you had when using Profile 1 except set manually. If I set it to Profile 1 it breaks wake from sleep on Apple USB Aluminium KB and Mouse, Microsoft Desktop 800 KB and Mouse (USB dongle 2.4ghz) and with my Apple A1118 Bluetooth module utilising Apple Wireless KB and Magic Mouse or Trackpad.

I have now found that while what I suggested above resolves the specific delay issue there is a better solution so long as you are not overclocking.

In the UEFI bios disable CPU PLL Overvoltage and it resolves not only the delay after wake but also resolves the issue with external USB drives not being ejected. This solution also allows you to use XMP Profile 1.

again you may have a specific issue related to the USB BT dongle but this may be worth trying.

edited to add
further testing has shown that the successful eject prior to sleep only applies to rear USB ports (USB 3.0 or 2.0) the failure to eject before sleep is still present on the front USB 2.0 ports - do not have front USB 3.0 attached so have not been able to check.

I tried disabling CPU PLL Overvoltage. This has worked so far. About 4 wake from sleep cycles.

I still have a delay before the Apple Wireless Keyboard, Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad will respond.

When the machine reaches the login screen where I enter my password, it takes about 5-10 seconds before my keyboard input appears in the password field.

I can probably live with it this way as long as I don't experience the jumpy mouse issue I had before.

Regarding the AppleScript I've been using to minimize the Realtek Wireless Network Utility app.

Running the AppleScript as a Login Item works great. The only issue I have noticed is that this does not work when waking the machine from sleep. So I began searching for an app to hide the Realtek app not only on login, but on wake as well.

ScreenShot2012-10-07at13019PM.png

After searching a bit, I found an app called Scenario, that can run AppleScripts for the following events:

• User logs-in
  • User logs-out
  • Computer goes to sleep
  • Computer wakes from sleep
  • Computer becomes idle
  • Computer stops being idle
  • Screen saver starts
  • Screen saver Stops
  • Hot key is pressed

The app allows you to select which events to run AppleScripts for and which AppleScripts are run for each event. You simply check each box for which you want an AppleScript to run. Then you place your chosen AppleScripts into their corresponding event folder.

The Scenario app resides in the Menu Bar. Clicking the icon opens the Scenario menu. Selecting "Settings..." opens the settings pane.

stacks_image_428_1.png

So for my Hide WiFi AppleScript. It looks like this:

ScreenShot2012-10-07at10424PM.png

Clicking the "Open Script Folder" button opens a Finder window showing the list of Scenario script folders. Just drag or paste the AppleScripts you've created into the desired folder.

So as you can see here, I have the "Hide WiFi" AppleScript that I created copied into the Login Scripts folder and the Wake Scripts folder.

ScreenShot2012-10-07at10625PM.png

ScreenShot2012-10-07at10639PM.png

The Scenario app costs $4.99 on the Mac App Store. There are not many reviews on the app. I took a chance on it and it is working great for me.

I can foresee myself using this app for many other things in the future so I feel that $4.99 is actually a decent price.

Scenario developer site:
http://www.lagentesoft.com/scenario/index.html

Scenario on the Mac App Store:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scenario/id423444193?

*DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with Lagente Software and do not stand to gain anything from this review of the Scenario software.*

After some reading I stumbled across a user who claimed that they had reduced performance from their AMD HD 6xxx graphics card after waking from sleep. I tested my machine and found the same symptoms.

Luxmark: 515 after restart; 65 after wake from sleep
OpenCL Oceanwave: 295 after restart; 85 after wake from sleep

I found another user who suggested changing the smbios to MacPro5,1. I tried that and it resulted in a kernel panic upon boot.

The real MacPro5,1 has ECC RAM and my Hackintosh does not have ECC RAM. The kernel extrnesion AppleTyMCEDriver.kext (location: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleTyMCEDriver.kext) checks for ECC RAM and causes a kernel panic when it does not find it.

To successfully change to the MacPro5,1 system definition, I had to delete AppleTyMCEDriver.kext before rebooting.

Now my Gigabyte HD 6850 performs the same after wake as it does on a fresh reboot.

I have the same mobo with the 3570k chip. Do I only need check the MB plugin and hardware monitor to get my overclocking to show up properly?
I would set the multiplier in the BIOS and it doesn't show up, I'm suspecting I need to check those boxes in multibeast.
If you can direct me in the right direction I would appreciate it! Thanks

I have not tried to over clock this machine. I'm not very experienced in that area. I would suggest reading and searching the forum to see if this has been covered (probably has). If you can't find the answer you may consider starting a thread in the Overclocking forum.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/overclocking/

I don't think the presence or absence of motherboard plugins and the Hardware Monitor app have any effect on over clocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back