Contribute
Register

Lion HDMI Audio - Part 3a: Kext Edits - AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Toleda,

toleda said:
I don't understand your edits above, is one Eulemur and the other Baboon? Did you make the changes in two places for each?

The first edit to ATI5000Controller.kext was for personality Eulemur as per your case study. radeon_bios_decode told me that senseid is 0x3 so I changed the last part of the hex string to 0x3. I tested it both with GE=Y and GE=N and with and without AtiConfig=Eulemur in org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

The second edit was an experiment following your suggestion that the personality Baboon should also work. I tested it both with GE=Y and GE=N and with and without AtiConfig=Eulemur in org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

In both cases I made the change twice.

toleda said:
On Chameleon, do a fresh install. You can get the latest on the New Releases forum on insanelymac.

Thanks.. headed there now. I assume that I install via uniBeast, then install Chameleon and then install my modified DSDT.aml?

toleda said:
Please attach an copy of ioreg with an edited ATI5000Framebuffer.kext.

Enclosed.

Thanks Again
Chris

Attachments

• MediaMacPro.zip
    553.7 KB · Views: 69
carukc said:
In both cases I made the change twice.

Thanks.. headed there now. I assume that I install via uniBeast, then install Chameleon and then install my modified DSDT.aml?
Regarding the framebuffer testing, only 2 cases are valid 1. GE=Y and AtiConfig=Eulemer and 2. GE=Y and AtiConfig=Baboon is needed.

I didn't mean a fresh install of Lion rather a fresh install of Chameleon.

The edits are not correct. One connector-type is 400 and the other is 10. Are you using DisplayPort? Otherwise 800 should show.

toleda said:
The edits are not correct. One connector-type is 400 and the other is 10. Are you using DisplayPort? Otherwise 800 should show.

No, it's definitely an HDMI.

Ok... I went back to my backup of ATI5000Controller.kext.

Rechecked radeon_bios_decode. Senseid is 0x3

Rechecked your case study and the Framebufer doc for Eulemur. Connector Info: 00 08 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 71 00 00 12 04 04 02

Ran HexEdit and searched for:
00 08 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 71 00 00 12 04 04 02
replaced with
00 08 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 71 00 00 12 04 04 03
twice

Set GE=Yes and AtiConfig=Eulemur in org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Reboot... Booted fine but no video output on HDMI.

ssh in and changed AtiConfig=Baboon in org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Reboot... Booted fine , screen working again. No HDMI Audio.

Went back again to my backup of ATI5000Controller.kext.

Rechecked your case study and the Framebufer doc for Baboon. Connector Info: 00 08 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 71 00 00 22 05 02 01

Ran HexEdit and searched for:
00 08 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 71 00 00 22 05 02 01
replaced with
00 08 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 71 00 00 22 05 02 03
twice

BUT, as you say in your case study, 03 is ALSO used for connector 0400 (Display Port)

Perhaps I should change 0400 to senseid=01 or 04 just to get it out of the way?

Strangely the radeon_bios_decode dump that I made for the Asus HD5570 shows 4 connectors. An HDMI, 2 x DVI and a VGA . The FB doc shows 3 connectors for a Baboon. A DP (0400) an HDMI (0800) and a VGA (1000)... So perhaps this is be why you did not see the HDMI connector in the IOReg dump?

So... as a test. I searched for:
04 00 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 01 02 01 03
and replaced with:
04 00 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 01 02 01 01
twice

Reboot.. still no HDMI Audio.

So for case 1. No display when AtiConfig=Eulemur.
for case 2, No HDMI audio, even if I move the DP connector.

New IOReg file enclosed (with HDMI and DP connector edits).

I guess the next step is to check with Chameleon . Could the duplicate assignment of senseid 0x3 on DP and HDMI be causing the problem? How would one otherwise configure case 2?

Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• MediaMacPro.zip
    532.7 KB · Views: 76
carukc said:
Reboot.. still no HDMI Audio.

So for case 1. No display when AtiConfig=Eulemur.
for case 2, No HDMI audio, even if I move the DP connector.

New IOReg file enclosed (with HDMI and DP connector edits).

I guess the next step is to check with Chameleon . Could the duplicate assignment of senseid 0x3 on DP and HDMI be causing the problem? How would one otherwise configure case 2?

Thanks
Chris
I thought you got a kp with GE=Y and AtiConfig=Eulemur. Now, you get no video? What connectors are on the 5570? Are you using VGA? IOReg shows DVI and VGA displays connected. Try AtiPorts=3 or 2.

At this point, the goal is to find the framebuffer that provides HDMI video with connector-type 08 00.

toleda said:
I thought you got a kp with GE=Y and AtiConfig=Eulemur. Now, you get no video.

To Summarize
-----------------
GE=N + AtiConfig=Eulemur + ATI5kCtrl edits for Eulemur + additional DSDT edits for Eulemur
-> KP

GE=Y + AtiConfig=Eulemur + ATI5kCtrl edits for Eulemur
-> No video on boot
GE=Y + AtiConfig=Baboon + ATI5kCtrl edits for Baboon
-> Video, No HDMI Audio
GE=Y + AtiConfig=Baboon + virgin ATI5kCtrl
-> Video, No HDMI Audio

GE=N + AtiConfig=Any+ Any ATI5kCtrl edits or virgin ATI5kCtrl
-> Video works, HDMI 2 channel works, 5.1 source crashes Plex/XBMC

So it's the DSDT edit that causes the KP. Which I now know is not a configuration that I should be trying.

Incidentally, when I connect using VNC, with GE=N, I see only the HDMI screen. When I connect with GE=Y I see both the HDMI and the VGA screens, side by side.

toleda said:
What connectors are on the 5570? Are you using VGA? IOReg shows DVI and VGA displays connected. Try AtiPorts=3 or 2.

The Asus card has VGA, HDMI and DVI. It's a EAH5570/DI/1GD3 (LP) .

It looks like the problem is not that there is no video at all. VGA does seem to be on. So the problem is that the system switches to VGA from HDMI during the last part of the boot.

toleda said:
At this point, the goal is to find the framebuffer that provides HDMI video with connector-type 08 00.

Ok... I have finally resolve the problem by going back to 10.7.2... re implementing the changes and then using the Combo Update to update to 10.7.3.

A few notes to anyone else who might be reading this and plans to do an update with these patches installed.

0. Backup /Extras/org.chameleon.Boot.plist
1. run the update but do not reboot after the update.
2. run MultiBeast before rebooting. I copied the dsdt.aml file from /Extras to my desktop and did another UserDSDT based install from MultiBeast just to be sure (possibly overkill).
3. copy the ATI5kCtrlr to your desktop from /S/L/E and backup.
4. reapply the hex edits as per this guide.
5. (in my case I also moved Toleda's modified AppleHDA.kext to my desktop)
6. run KextBeast
7. if you have modified org.chameleon.Boot.plist reapply the edits or copy the backup back into place.
8. reboot

and for me... everything worked fine. Actually better than fine. Sleep now seems to work!

Toleda, Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Chris

toleda said:
Great work. What framebuffer are you using? Is 5.1 working?

5.1 -> 2.0 works perfectly. This machine is going on a TV with no amp so I have not tried feeding encoded 5.1 to anything but I have every reason to believe that it will work. If I have a chance I will test... just for completeness. I'll also try to test encoded optical out from the 889 using your new AppleHDA.kext.

I used the Eulemur personality/framebuffer in the end. The Asus is prety much identical to the Saphire that you often talk about. In fact after I got it working, I swapped in a DP based Saphire 5570 and it worked just as well.

One thing I did notice though... when I first made the files changes after the reinstall, there was no HDMI audio... I rebooted a dozen times, each time trying a different senseid and or framebuffer. In the end I went back to the 0x3 senseid + Eulemur and turned the computer off for a while. When I went back to it to try again... it worked. I recall that some time ago I had a problem with either an HDMI or SPDIF audio interface that turned out to be the chip getting itself into a strange state that only a hard boot would correct. Perhaps that was part of the problem here.

I'd had the Asus 5570 working with a Asus P5B motherboard with Plex/XBMC, etc before 'upgrading' to a smaller HA65M-D2H board (that I had lying about from my first attempt to build a hacMini). So I was pretty sure that it 'should' have worked.

In hte end, I think that either I made a mistake somewhere when doing the initial DSDT edits; the hardware got stuck in a weird state or there is something different about doing a first install using UniBeast and 10.7.3. Personally I suspect it was either the first or the second.

So... it all works very well... your ALC 889 AppleHDA.kext seems to be doing it's job, HDMI audio works through the 5570, with 10.7.3 even sleep seems to be working properly on this board. In all, since everything seems to work well, the board is a pretty inexpensive choice for a media PC with something like the Novatech Vision case (http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/comp ... ision.html). The only real downside to it is that there's no SPDIF on the back (only a header on the MB) but as I said... it was not being used for anything else.

Sometime later this month I'll try to upgrade the hacMinis to 10.7.3 to see how that goes.

Thanks Again
Chris

Greetings, has anyone had any success in getting the HDMI audio out of HD6450. I've gotten up to here:

1. In terminal, run ./radeon_bios_decode < HD6xxx.vbios.bin (example: HD6870.bin).

But I can't find the required video bios download needed for step 6. vbios - TechPowerUp - http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/.

I don't see a 00 08 entry, however, for bulrushes in this document, 8a. 10.7.2 - ATI5000/6000Controller.kext FrameBuffers_v7.12.9 Framebuffer_List, so, I don't know what to look for if there is, indeed, an answer for this step, 2. Identify HDMI sense_id.

All this said, I had already upgraded to 10.7.3. So, maybe I just can't get HDMI audio for that reason. The TV I am using works with the Windows box. I don't have Windows on the hack. But they both use an HD6450. So, any suggestions. Thanks, in advance, FW.

Postscript: If I choose GraphicsEnabler=No with all edits made to the DSDT (i.e., generic), I do get HDMI sound with the Sapphire HD6450. (Switching the DSDT back to the latest one from tonymacx86 results in losing the HDMI option.) So, the edits must be made to the DSDT. The only sacrifice is the DVD app. I can use VLAN, however, and watch films with sound, Netflix, etc.

FranzWerfel said:
Greetings, has anyone had any success in getting the HDMI audio out of HD6450.
HDMI audio works in 10.7.3 with the same techniques described in this thread. If Techpowerup doesn't have your bios, try GPU-Z in Windows or the manufacturer support website. Bulrushes does not support HDMI audio. Find a framebuffer that boots successfully on HDMI with GraphicsEnabler=yes.

Thanks. Having GraphicsEnabler=No is a workaround that is not too shabby. I have tried the Duckweed framebuffer, which works with =Yes, but I don't get audio (but I do get VGA back). Maybe I can just toggle through the different framebuffers via Chameleon Wizard? I don't have a Windows machine handy at the moment. Again, thanks. Sorry for double post. The separate thread can be deleted by the monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back