2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I managed to get this working.

Steps:

1. Make a boot usb with unibeast.
2. need to add sata Kext to the lion istall usb stick
follow this guys instructions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aHUHUHBixs

3. install to hard drive - this drive will need to be booted from usb as the sata Kext will need to be added once Lion has booted. You can use kextbeast.

4. ethernet support - need to download http://www.osx86.net/view/2860-arbcm57780.html

Reboot and everything should work.

I've upgraded to 10.7.4 and works fine no need to reinstall anything.
The Nvidia support is much better in 10.7.4 - worth the upgrade. Also better PC keyboard and usb camera support.

One problem I loose the ethernet from time to time, any ideas?

so I am totally new to this hackintosh scene, and I am trying to get my dell studio xps 8100 running Lion. I checked out that youtube video, but the ktext link seems to be messed up. Could you help me with some step by step instructions? I made a Unibeast USB, but it didn't see my drives (probably due to the AHCI issue).

Also, how do you add a ktext to the usb installer :)

I did this with ML. Basically according to what drsog said.

Used some different boot arguments, not sure if it matters.

The system: Dell XPS Studio 8100, i7, GTX 460, 8GB ram.
BIOS set to Raid. The BIOS doesn't have an AHCI setting.

UniBeast 1.5.3, to copy ML installer unto usb memory stick.
To make the installer able to see the hard drives I
used KextBeast to install AHCIPortInjector.kext to the usb stick.

The idea and kext link came from
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aHUHUHBixs.
I had verified via Aida64 that my mb SATA controller had the same PCI ID as was already in the kext.

Booted usb installer with boot argument PCIRootUID=0 -v
Installed ML to hard drive.
When booting again from usb and choosing the newly installed hard drive I got stuck with errors, USBSMC Identifier non unique and repeated "Waiting for root device".
Booted to usb installer again and used Terminal to copy AHCIPortInjector.kext from usb S/L/E to hard drive S/L/E.

Booted again via usb and choose hard drive, using PCIRootUID=0 -v, success.

To make the hard drive bootable on its own:
MultiBeast 5.2.1 with setting EasyBeast.

Edited the boot.plist in Extra to include the kernel flag PCIRootUID=0
For Ethernet, I used KextBeast to install an IONetworkingFamily.kext I found on the net.

Now using Usb dongle for sound, havent tried to get sleep working either.
Unsure about speedstep. Apart from that, works great.

Can you say me which string i have to change in the kextfile if I have another PCI ID?

So Have been running my Studio XPS 8100, with OS X Lion 10.7.5 for over a year. The real deal breaker was ethernet dropping out. SO I just installed a Sonnet Presto Gigabit Pro PCI Express Card, and hey it's amazing. UpLoaded over 30 Gb of data from hard drive to NAS, no drop out and running rock solid. I would highly recommend installing a compatible ethernet card. I'll put a link to the card I purchased at amazon, below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0017K6BR8/?tag=tonymacx86-21

I also had problems with ethernet failures once a day or so. Browsing the web and suddenly no connection.
Had to go into network preferences and do the "make service inactive/apply/active" thing.
Also extremely slow filesharing via afp.

So thank you for the pci card link, always good to know what works for others.
Seems like a good solution.

Running 10.8.3
Dell XPS 8100

So I just upgraded to 10.10.

All working fine, but having problems with iMessage. Hardware seems to be supported well, very stable. I think it's worth the upgrade.

Had some issues with the graphics card during install, need to boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and all works fine.

DrSog

@dsrog, did you use any specific kext when installing/upgrading to 10.10 ?
I'm installing it right now on external USB disk on same xps8100 but at install time, internal disks where not seen. I've not yet finished install on USB dock, so maybe drivers/patch in multibeast will do the job :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back