Contribute
Register

Lion 10.7.2 freezeing

Status
Not open for further replies.
solidst8 said:
Yeah, I confirm also, 10.7.3 didn't solve this freezing issue. Last night, I got the same type of freezing I got with 10.7.2... which was: Screen freeze, mouse cursor able to move around screen, but can't click or use keyboard, only remedy is to hard reset.

Confirming 10.7.3 combo update did NOT solve my freeze problem. Same problem as that described above. Most of my freezes occur in Firefox or Thunderbird. That said I can't identify any particular program associated with the issue other than that. 10.7.2 and 10.7.3 will run all day as long as I'm not doing anything. The moment I start doing any work (within an hour) the mouse either locks up or will move but won't activate anything. Wondering if this might be some kind of cache problem associated with a graphics driver... That is total guess at this point. Looks like I go back to Snow Leopard. Fortunately. I maintained 2-10.6.8 active copies on drive partitions and won't have to rebuild the whole thing. :banghead:

If it weren't for all the native Macs out there having similar problems, I'd believe this was some kind of conspiracy against hackintoshes.

My machine:
Dual boot: OSX 10.7.2 and Win 7 64bit
EVGA GTX 460SE
Asus P8P67 with i7 2600k
Patriot 16GB DDR3 RAM

These HD3000 issues are, as others have reported as well, definitely not related to flash or some other 'naughty' program. I've had them occur simply by navigating directories in Finder, and by entering Mission Control.

I'm on 10.7.3.

Judah said:
Dragonfly you are absolutely right re: HD3000 graphics!

For those of us on dedicated Nvidia GPUs however, it seems to be flash related

I couldn't use Firefox with an older nVidia card. I'm currently using a cheaper but newer card (the GT 430) .. and my freezing and flash issues are gone. Flash works across the board, no more artifacts, and the freezing is gone.

@Judah - gotcha.

The funny thing is, of all three systems I've Hackintosh'ed, the only one with these issues is the one with (supposedly) 100% compatible graphics. :confused: I've installed Lion on a desktop system with a completely unsupported Nvidia Quadro 4500 card using patched firmware and haven't seen any graphic hangs (apart from those related to power saving) since it was set up four months ago.

Another extremely curious thing is that I've been running this system (a Shuttle SH67H7) for weeks without any issues (or changes, for that matter), and all of a sudden this starts occurring. Same behavior on 10.7.3 and 10.7.2 (which I still have for the rescue vol.); even right after a clean boot-up.

Hope this issue is addressed by Apple soon. HD3000 might not give the best performance, but it is more than enough for my use and I like the cleanness of it; as well as not needing an additional power-hungry GPU with noisy fans!

Anyone still getting freezing or video artifacts? I upgraded to 10.7.4 and after a week, no more freezing, but I did a bunch of other stuff in the process, so not really sure what fixed it.

I have:

intel i7 2600k
gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 - f10 bios
gigabyte geforce 560ti
on 10.7.4

I get freezing and I don't remember being anywhere near flash. I got both a new motherboard and a new video card. Before I was using a z68x-ud5-b3 with a AMD Radeon HD 6870 and was getting zero issues. I thought I fried my motherboard, that's the only reason I got a new motherboard. But I don't think I did.

Anyway, hopefully someone knows what I should do. I may just try going back to the radeon 6870 and see if that clears up the freezing.

I'm experiencing random freezes while surfing the web - mainly via Firefox and Chrome. I just built a new system and installed UniBeast - Lion 10.7.4, and then MultiBeast 4.5.1. I'm wondering if there is a setting somewhere within MultiBeast that will fix this. Any advice out there?

i7 2700K
GA-Z68XP-UD3 Revision 1.3
16GB Vengeance
EVGA GTX 560 Ti 1024MB GDDR5
120GB OCZ SSD SATA III
750 OCZ PSU
Apple HD Cinema Display

Thanks!
Heather

Hi guys, I think it may have something to do with Speedstep. Ever since I took out the "DropSSDT=Yes" flag from my boot.plist and installed a modified SSDT, it added some intermediate multipliers 17x, 18x, 20x, etc. but the freezing came back. When I had "DropSSDT=Yes", I only had 16x and 45x (I'm overclocked) multipliers, so my power saving wasn't as good as it could be, but at least the freezing stopped. Since then, I kept the SSDT installed, but I've increased my voltage offset a little bit (+0.100V) and it doesn't freeze as often (I got one freeze over 2 days).

Its only been a couple days since I've changed the voltage offset, so not sure if that is a permanent solution. My theory is that the voltage is too low when the intermediate multipliers are in effect. When at the extremes, 16x and 45x, my system is perfectly fine with the normal voltage setting. I've been using someone else's SSDT modified for 45x multiplier (Macman's SSDT only goes up to 42x so I decided not to use his), there could be some other things to tweak on the SSDT, but I have been a bit busy with work and the family, so I haven't had as much time to read up on it and experiment. I'm also using the Macmini system def, was thinking of trying the MacPro system def. I may try upping the voltage a little bit more too.

Are any of you NOT overclocked and get freezing? Any of you using SSDT?

That would be me. System is not overclocked and it freezes once sometimes twice a day. I installed the SSDT as suggested - but I've experienced freezes before and after. I have not idea about voltage settings - is this something I should get familiar with quickly?
Heather :)

i7 2700K
GA-Z68XP-UD3 Revision 1.3
16GB Vengeance
EVGA GTX 560 Ti 1024MB GDDR5
120GB OCZ SSD SATA III
750 OCZ PSU
Apple HD Cinema Display

If you're not overclocked, usually there's no need to worry about voltage settings.

Did you ever try the initial work around for 10.7.4, before the SSDT fix came out? Inserting this into your org.Chameleon.boot.plist:
<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

I ran my system this way for more than a week without any freezes whatsoever. Within hours of installing the SSDT fix, I started getting freezes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back