FX4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi

I have searched a lot on this issue and feel like I've tried everything - to no avail.

I'm trying to dual boot Fedora19 and OSX, but linux is not showing on the chameleon boot screen (windows appears fine if I put a win7 disk in)

I have 2 drives: an SSD for OSX and a SATA for linux.
I installed OSX (ML) first and this works great, thanks to the instructions on this forum :clap:

Trouble starts when I want to put fedora on the system too. It just doesnt show up as an option in chameleon. I have rebuilt it over and over with different settings, no boot loader etc, installing grub2 to the root of the fedora disk etc. None of which have helped.

I am totally lost.

Has anyone managed to get Fedora 19 installed in a 2 disk/dual boot config with hackintosh?
I know there is a bug in the bootloader of Fedora19, but following the workaround doesnt seem to make any difference.

If anyone would be kind enough to help out, I would really appreciate it. I'd hate to have to ditch my osx build just so I can work in Linux

thanks

Hi

I have searched a lot on this issue and feel like I've tried everything - to no avail.

I'm trying to dual boot Fedora19 and OSX, but linux is not showing on the chameleon boot screen (windows appears fine if I put a win7 disk in)

I have 2 drives: an SSD for OSX and a SATA for linux.
I installed OSX (ML) first and this works great, thanks to the instructions on this forum :clap:

Trouble starts when I want to put fedora on the system too. It just doesnt show up as an option in chameleon. I have rebuilt it over and over with different settings, no boot loader etc, installing grub2 to the root of the fedora disk etc. None of which have helped.

I am totally lost.

Has anyone managed to get Fedora 19 installed in a 2 disk/dual boot config with hackintosh?
I know there is a bug in the bootloader of Fedora19, but following the workaround doesnt seem to make any difference.

If anyone would be kind enough to help out, I would really appreciate it. I'd hate to have to ditch my osx build just so I can work in Linux

thanks

In order for Linux to show in Chameleon you must install grub to the partition, not the device (example: /dev/sda2, not /dev/sda)

Thanks for the quick reply

I did try that, my install is in sda2:

grub2-install /dev/sda2
but I got:

/usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: error: guessing the root device failed, because of 'cannot stat /dev/sda2' : no such file or directory

Thanks for the quick reply

I did try that, my install is in sda2:

grub2-install /dev/sda2
but I got:

/usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: error: guessing the root device failed, because of 'cannot stat /dev/sda2' : no such file or directory

I never had much luck using grub-install, etc. Not that it isn't possible... I just never figured right right magic sequence of commands.

Do it from the moment you install. Look at my blog article on multi-boot (link in signature) section H step 12.

Yeah, it's a tricky one thats for sure.

A lot of the help available is 99% for ubuntu, which works differently to fedora - particularly with regards to installation options and grub vs grub2 etc

anyway, following your instructions I still dont see fedora in chameleon. the only option seems to be to switch the disk boot order in the bios - not very convenient :(

ahha, I think I've cracked it :)

so I had to boot into recovery mode for fedora, and then chroot to /mnt/sysimage

check my disks with
Code:
fdisk -l
made a note of the correct partition

then type:
Code:
parted
toggle 2 boot
quit

this set my linux partition to boot, and I then was able to:
Code:
grub2-install /dev/sda2 --force
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

finally I then saw my fedora install in Chameleon

except it wouldnt boot dropped straight to a <grub2> menu.
So I had to do the following (under the heading:
Encountering the dreaded GRUB 2 boot prompt)

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2#Encountering_the_dreaded_GRUB_2_boot_prompt

Now all is right with the world, and I have nice dual booting workstation with linux and osx

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back