Contribute
Register

KP on Installer partition boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
tbotcotw said:
Hey, agrajag, did you get 10.6.8 working? Because I'm having similar issues with that.
Only by installing the 10.6.7 ATI kexts into S/L/E. I replaced all of the ATI kexts (24 in all) with the 10.6.7 ones and then rebuilding the mkext- I am not sure what minimal set might work (mixing from 10.6.7 and 10.6.8 caused obvious errors during booting).

hi guys, i reinstalled SL and Lion, i am able to boot into Lion perfectly but my wake isn't working too well :/ the CPU wakes but the monitor doesn't.

agrajag said:
tbotcotw said:
Hey, agrajag, did you get 10.6.8 working? Because I'm having similar issues with that.
Only by installing the 10.6.7 ATI kexts into S/L/E. I replaced all of the ATI kexts (24 in all) with the 10.6.7 ones and then rebuilding the mkext- I am not sure what minimal set might work (mixing from 10.6.7 and 10.6.8 caused obvious errors during booting).
A follow-up- on the weekend I flashed my XFX 5770 with a different (older) firmware version and now it works fine with 10.6.8 ATI kexts. I have not tried Lion yet, but others have reported success here also. It is a bit involved to flash the card, but several report success. There is a discussion on these cards in another thread here.

when you install up to 10.6.7 try using the multibeast 3.7.2 Chimera and not the 3.8 as this caused issue with me...

other than that ensure that you have the 64 bit boot and 3.1 mac pro as your definition. and when you create the partition open it in mac and see whether it has boot contents it should look similar to the image if you open it directly.

other than that i can only suggest you wait for multibeast 4 which we all hope smooths out all the issues i mean i failed 7 time before i got my system function fully... and 6 of those i had to reinstall the lion from the installer partition and the 7th time i did a clean install.

I'm a little confused...

My SL partition which has 1.4.4 boots fine. And I'm not going to reinstall all of that from 1.6.7 just on the chance that Lion *might* finally boot up. Took me too long to get it stable.

My Lion partition is a clean install from the Installer partition. If what you're saying is to use the earlier version of Chimera from MB 3.7.2, then okay.

I also flashed my XFX HD 5770 with an older BIOS, that allowed me to finally boot to the Installer partition and install Lion. From there I could boot in safe mode to Lion, but if I tried a normal boot I got the exact same kernel panic I was getting before on the Installer boot.

I'm off now to make sure my boot.plist settings on Lion match the ones that worked on the Installer.

tbotcotw said:
I also flashed my XFX HD 5770 with an older BIOS, that allowed me to finally boot to the Installer partition and install Lion. From there I could boot in safe mode to Lion, but if I tried a normal boot I got the exact same kernel panic I was getting before on the Installer boot.

I'm off now to make sure my boot.plist settings on Lion match the ones that worked on the Installer.

Can you do this with the XFX HD 5670 as well?

mdzukunft said:
Can you do this with the XFX HD 5670 as well?

I don't know. The posts I found said that flashing only fixed a very specific version of the 5770, the XFX HD-557A-ZNFC (it wasn't a fix for the 557X, for instance). But it couldn't hurt to search the boards for 5670 and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back