Contribute
Register

Ivy Bridge Power Management Kernel Panic

Status
Not open for further replies.
The script is indeed bugged. Studying the source, I noticed that it should be setting Name (APLF, 0x02), not Zero. I changed that in my generated SSDT, added the lower state to make it equivalent to -w 2 and now power management loads successfully in AICPUPM mode.

The only thing I notice is that XCPM seems to be much more aggressive setting my clockspeed to minimum. With AICPUPM, it seems to run average about 20% higher.

As for XCPM mode, I found a post by Piker-Alpha claiming that some real Ivy Bridge Mac's get the ring table error with it enabled.

It would seem the stepper error is the only thing that would need fixing to sort out XCPM.

Code:
7/14/15 7:18:27.000 PM kernel[0]: X86PlatformPlugin::setRingTable - AICPM failed to load ring table with status 0x0: Get=0, Load=0, Install=0
7/14/15 7:18:27.000 PM kernel[0]: X86PlatformPlugin::configResourceHandler - Failed to set ring table!
7/14/15 7:18:27.000 PM kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::sendPStates - Success!
7/14/15 7:18:27.000 PM kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::start - Failed to send stepper

I've seen it before (-w 2, and -w 3 not working correctly). I think the workarounds were removed as they were believed to not be needed on Yosemite. So the script output depends on what system you run it on.

It is too bad we don't really understand completely. I think to make it work 100% correctly, the data in X86PlatformPlugin's Resources plist files needed be tweaked.

I've seen it before (-w 2, and -w 3 not working correctly). I think the workarounds were removed as they were believed to not be needed on Yosemite. So the script output depends on what system you run it on.

It is too bad we don't really understand completely. I think to make it work 100% correctly, the data in X86PlatformPlugin's Resources plist files needed be tweaked.

I was thinking the same: perhaps the ring table data in Mac-[BoardID].plist would need to be edited to match the processor.

It's working well enough as is; still, I'll keep researching to see what I turn up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back