Contribute
Register

Ivy Bridge iBoot Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi Going,

the third generation intel i7 3770 processor is the ivy bridge..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116502

im wrong?

Not wrong, but can use the i7 3770 in a H61 board 1155 socket (is same socket). This is possible with BIOS update of Sandy bridge board to get support for 3rd generation Core i CPUs. Looks like Dell was either lazy or wanted to go cheap with the Ivy processor and not updating the board to Ivy also.

Try using standard iBoot and same procedure as Sandy bridge install. Remember SB boards need update helper to go from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 (not sure if this applies to Ivy CPU in Sandy board or not, but can't hurt).

Not wrong, but can use the i7 3770 in a H61 board 1155 socket (is same socket). This is possible with BIOS update of Sandy bridge board to get support for 3rd generation Core i CPUs. Looks like Dell was either lazy or wanted to go cheap with the Ivy processor and not updating the board to Ivy also.

Try using standard iBoot and same procedure as Sandy bridge install. Remember SB boards need update helper to go from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 (not sure if this applies to Ivy CPU in Sandy board or not, but can't hurt).

Going

in fact the MB is a miniITX with h61 board so it will be exactly as you said. It is something that we can expect from a company.

i already tried with the legacy i boot and ive got the same problem, installing the SL, at the first reboot just the icon of iboot and not the OS icon.

probably it cant recognize the hdd? Strange because i formatted it with the disk utility before installation..but is the only thing that i can think about..

Going

in fact the MB is a miniITX with h61 board so it will be exactly as you said. It is something that we can expect from a company.

i already tried with the legacy i boot and ive got the same problem, installing the SL, at the first reboot just the icon of iboot and not the OS icon.

probably it cant recognize the hdd? Strange because i formatted it with the disk utility before installation..but is the only thing that i can think about..

dad -

Going maybe onto something - what we really need to know is what CPu you have -

Do you still have windows installed - if so do a Click on My Computer - Properties - look for Processor and Windows should tell you what your model of CPU is ....

It may also be a good idea as to what chips you have on this motherboard - Everest Home edition 2.x was a good tool to use for looking into the makeup of an motherboard as it read the chip resisters and manufactures names in the silicon.
But that is dated and not to snuff may get unknow valuses.
But this util is working on newer and its free. Resource tool for inspecting hardware on you system
http://www.piriform.com/speccy

You may want to print a report of what it finds - what nice to know is the codex and network chips that Dell used to make the MB

Also is your BIOS updated or not - Dell used to post the changes in their BIOS which sometimes is intersting reading.....

If you have a Sandy Bridge CPU then we are going at this wrong and will need to use the utility update helper w iBoot ( not the Ivy Bridge one)

Also if you want to dual boot - using two hard drives is the better method - and have the hack vole the first sata connection - windows drive 2nd and dvd after .

Please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back