Contribute
Register

Is there a decent Ivy Bridge Mini ITX motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm personally using this one right now:

ASRock H77M-ITX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813157311
Realtek ALC892 Audio
Realtek RTL8111E Ethernet
DVI-D, D-Sub, HDMI

It's a killer little board, and I'm able to use it without a DSDT...well, sort of. I can for sure get up & running using nothing but EasyBeast, Lnx2Mac's NIC drivers, and the "all-in-one" ALC8xx (with audio rollback + non-DSDT enabler), FakeSMC, and NullCPUPowerManagement. BUT, it seems to boot really slowly (like it takes 30 seconds at the gray Apple logo/progress indicator) when it should only take 5-7. I'm using an SSD, so that's why I was expecting a much faster boot time.

Here's a link to my G4 Cube build where I'm using the H77M-ITX:
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=64284

Here's a link to my post for those of you reading this who are DSDT or system fine-tuning gurus who might be willing & able to lend a hand:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=63731

Once I get the build done & back in the case, I'll try & tackle the fine-tuning & see about that boot issue (seems to hang on "SNB framebuffer did not show up" and "ERROR: EFI ROM did not publish 'hda-gfx' associative properly...").

BUT...like I said, the good news is that it DOES boot without a DSDT!! :headbang: I have Internet/network; I have what appears to be full HD3000 graphics; I have audio (well, 2-channel via the backplane because that's what's in my office; will check HDMI later).

Re: Best Ivy Bridge ITX motherboard.

Coupz said:
Mate94 said:
What will you do if they have VIA Audio? :mrgreen:
Sponsor everyone with this mobo a sound card. "Sponsored by Tonymac himself" :lol:
Would be Tony that so kind? :lol:

Mate94 said:

A little birdie told me that they definitely will not.

tonymacx86 said:
Mate94 said:

A little birdie told me that they definitely will not.
Curious that your "birdie" is the same as Gordo's "birdy". :)

I calmed down. CMM 2012 is not a dead mission. :cool:

Thanks Tony, looking forward to the cheaper H77 one. ;)

I'd put my vote in for ASRock. I've built boxes using Gigabyte (3), Asus (1), Intel (2) and now ASRock (4). A total of 9 builds and I have to say I'm most satisfied with the ASRock boards over all the others. By far.

I've got four Mini-ITX ASRock boards: the H67, the H67 with WiFi, the H77 and now the Z77. For the H67's I'm using Sandy Bridge Core i3-2125s, and those were piece of cake installs using my 10.7.3 UniBeast stick and the Combo Update to 10.7.4. Excellent BIOS for my needs, no problems at all with USB or power management like ALL my other boards. I'm totally satisfied.

The ASRock Z77 ITX board houses a Sandy Bridge i7-2700K chip. It installed and runs 10.7.3 fine but for some reason they stuck a Broadcom 57781 Network chipset on the board. No tonymac MultiBeast support for that but I found an IONetworkingFamily.kext at OSx86.net and the network fired right up after I installed that. However, I also read on that board that the 10.7.4 update breaks the kext support and, since there is no working update for the Broadcom, I've decided to stay w/10.7.3 on that box.

My last pocket rocket is a H77 with an Ivy Bridge i5-3570K. What happens is that, after I flashed the 10.7.3 USB stick with Bridge Helper 3, I did the install fine but once I restarted off the USB drive and tried to choose my new 10.7.3 install, it takes me right back into BIOS. So it's like Bridge Helper did nothing.

There is a post elsewhere on this board with an attached ZIP file that contains an Ivy Bridge-working mach_kernel and two or three separate kexts (AHCI and CPUPowerMgmt). I dragged those onto my USB stick, booted from my USB Stick, went into Terminal and cp -R those files onto my new 10.7.3 install. After that, I restarted and everything was cool; I could get to my H77 Ivy Bridge Desktop and run MultiBeast, enable the audio and network and reboot subsequently into my Ivy Bridge system. But as soon as I applied the 10.7.4 update, even though I also applied Bridge Helper 5, I get the kernel panic of death on restart. Shows an exception for AppleCPUPowerManagement.

That's where I'm stuck. I've rebooted from the stick, chosen my Ivy Bridge install, and reapplied the MultiBeast 4.5.2 Patched CPUPowerManagement kext for 10.7.4 but it hasn't made any difference. Have also tried to copy over the same files from the stick that I did before when I got 10.7.3 to run, but that hasn't worked either. I'm in Kernel Panic Hell.

That's why I installed UBUNTU on my other Ivy Bridge box. Nothing here on tonymac has working out of the box for me as far as Ivy Bridge, Z77 and Mac OS 10.7.4. I like to fiddle with this stuff to some extent, but I can't spend ALL my evening and post-evening hours trying to figure this out. I'm not sure what I'll do next with my Ivy Bridge chips.

I just built a new system using the ASrock H77M-ITX for testing the HD4000 (no luck on that yet).

Since it is an Ivy Bridge system it currently takes a little work to get it working and requires some terminal commands and an external video card.

Install steps:

1) Update UniBeast 10.7.4 USB stick with BridgeHelp 5.0
2) Install Lion
3) Boot back into installer and in terminal copy the mach_kernel from UniBeast drive to hard drive.
4) Boot hard drive using UniBeast stick, setup the system, make the HD bootable using MultiBeast and then run BridgeHelper 5.0.

FYI the ASrock has a locked MSR just like the ASUS and requires either NullCPUPowerManagement or a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext but doesn't requires DSDT.

MacMan said:
FYI the ASrock has a locked MSR just like the ASUS and requires either NullCPUPowerManagement or a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext but doesn't requires DSDT.

Just curious - what is your boot time on your build? Mine takes like 30 seconds at the gray Apple logo & spinning progress indicator. I'm able to get everything up & running via these settings:
-EasyBeast
-Lnx2Mac's NIC drivers, plus
-"All-in-one" ALC8xx (with audio rollback + non-DSDT enabler),
-FakeSMC, and
-NullCPUPowerManagement. .

Just curious if you had better luck (and if so, what was your secret??!!) :)

I did a DSDT free UserDSDT install and added a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment next that I created on another machine. I'm also using HDAEnabler, Patched AppleHDA for 892 and 3rdPartyAHCI.

I'm using a 6 GB/s SSD and it boots in around 15 seconds the last time I checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back