Contribute
Register

Is my system compatible to run a Snow Leopard hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Windows 7
CPU
i5-4660S
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I purchased this setup back in early September of 2014 and it's been running fine ever since. It came pre-installed with Windows 7 on the 1 TB HDD, which I soon after setup had transferred over to the 128 GB Intel SSD. I've watched several videos on YouTube about hackintoshes and have researched here and there about what systems work and don't work, and so I'm hoping mine will be okay, but what better way to double check than to ask you guys.

Motherboard: H81M-E/M51AD/DP_MB
PSU: HBA008-ZA1GT 350
Chipset: Intel Core i5-4460S @ 2.9 Ghz
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Memory: 12 GB DDR3
Cooling: Standard Intel cooler that came with the PC
SSD: 128 GB Intel
HDD: 1 TB Toshiba

I'm hoping this system can at least handle Snow Leopard, that's all I'm really going for at the moment. I've already purchased a retail copy of the OS from Apple and have ordered an external hard drive to backup everything before I do this, but just thought I'd get some more informed answers as well.

Thanks!

I've watched several videos on YouTube about hackintoshes and have researched here and there about what systems work and don't work, and I'm pretty confident mine should be okay, but what better way to double check than to ask you guys.

No idea why you are 'pretty confident.' It will be OK as we don't know a thing about your motherboard.

What I can tell you that if your motherboard is ok, you won't ever get a stable SL install as your processor is a Haswell and SL doesn't support it.

Using iBoot you will be able to get to 10.6.8 and then download Yosemite to create a UniBeast USB.

All of the above dependent on your motherboard of course.

Thanks for the bit of info. As far as my motherboard goes, I can tell you that it has a UEFI bios (has mouse and keyboard support) from ASUS, so it's not just a keyboard-only bios thing, but I don't know if that helps a lot. I realize Gigabyte is most supported for hackintoshes, so I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this motherboard is completely foreign to that world.

ASUS does produce compatible boards, if you could find a model number in the BIOS it would help.

Its not really the Motherboard but the individual chipsets and controllers that make the difference, you want a compatible audio, ethernet, USB controllers and BIOS. Its just that for certain manufacturers they always use compatble stuff.

The nVidia GTX 750 Ti card is too new for Snow Leopard; it's only supported in Yosemite with the nVidia Web drivers. So, you can only use the GTX 750 Ti graphics card with Yosemite.

You'll need an older graphics card to stay with Snow Leopard. I'm not sure that you can run Snow Leopard with your Intel Integrated Graphics HD4600, which your motherboard (thru the DVI) and processor support. So, without a supported graphics card, you'll need to boot with iBoot all the time to run Snow Leopard. UGH!

Best to install Snow Leopard without the 750 installed, and, still using iBoot, upgrade to 10.6.8. Then, create a Mac App Store account, download Yosemite and create an UniBeast Yosemite installation USB thumb drive.

Good luck!

The nVidia GTX 750 Ti card is too new for Snow Leopard; it's only supported in Yosemite with the nVidia Web drivers. So, you can only use the GTX 750 Ti graphics card with Yosemite.

You'll need an older graphics card to stay with Snow Leopard. I'm not sure that you can run Snow Leopard with your Intel Integrated Graphics HD4600, which your motherboard (thru the DVI) and processor support. So, without a supported graphics card, you'll need to boot with iBoot all the time to run Snow Leopard. UGH!

Best to install Snow Leopard without the 750 installed, and, still using iBoot, upgrade to 10.6.8. Then, create a Mac App Store account, download Yosemite and create an UniBeast Yosemite installation USB thumb drive.

Good luck!

What about with my network connection? I'm currently using a Netgear N600 Wireless USB Adapter to get internet, is that gonna be a problem?

EDIT: I've found drivers for my Ethernet controllers, so I'm hoping that's gonna allow me to detect my USB adapter and get an internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back