Contribute
Register

Is Mountain Lion compatible with HP dv7 laptops? If so, how to get BIOS working for advanced adjustm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z97-A
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.0Ghz
Graphics
AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone,
So I've been doing a lot of research to see if my laptop would even be compatible with Mountain Lion. Here are the specs:

HP Pavilion dv7-7025dx Notebook PC
Product # B2P29UA#ABA
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 8GB (2 4GB SODIMM Nanya Technology 1600MHz)
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
System Board: 181C 52.24
BIOS Type Insyde EFI
BIOS Version F.24
750GB ATA Hitachi HTS54757 SCSI Disk Device
Audio Device 1: IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
Audio Device 2: Intel(R) Display Audio
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03289779

Anyways, I'm pretty much a noob with all of this, just know stuff from research I've done. So from what I can tell, my computer is and isn't compatible. What I mean is that the hardware should be fine, but the BIOS I have doesn't give me advanced settings, so I cant change hard drive type to AHCI mode and everything else you're supposed to do. I can only choose which device to boot from.

What I would like to do is dual boot my laptop with the existing Windows 7 I'm using right now and use a partition (of 100GB) on my hard drive for mountain lion. If anyone knows anything or has any advice for me it would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I can attach a picture of my BIOS main screen if that helps. :D

Hi everyone,
So I've been doing a lot of research to see if my laptop would even be compatible with Mountain Lion. Here are the specs:

HP Pavilion dv7-7025dx Notebook PC
Product # B2P29UA#ABA
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 8GB (2 4GB SODIMM Nanya Technology 1600MHz)
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
System Board: 181C 52.24
BIOS Type Insyde EFI
BIOS Version F.24
750GB ATA Hitachi HTS54757 SCSI Disk Device
Audio Device 1: IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
Audio Device 2: Intel(R) Display Audio
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03289779

Anyways, I'm pretty much a noob with all of this, just know stuff from research I've done. So from what I can tell, my computer is and isn't compatible. What I mean is that the hardware should be fine, but the BIOS I have doesn't give me advanced settings, so I cant change hard drive type to AHCI mode and everything else you're supposed to do. I can only choose which device to boot from.

What I would like to do is dual boot my laptop with the existing Windows 7 I'm using right now and use a partition (of 100GB) on my hard drive for mountain lion. If anyone knows anything or has any advice for me it would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I can attach a picture of my BIOS main screen if that helps. :D

Most modern laptops are already set to AHCI (and as you note newer ones have no option to set IDE... probably because it is such a 'Windows XP' thing to do).

You might read this: http://www.tonymacx86.com/laptop-compatibility/106791-laptop-compatibility.html

Wow thanks for the INCREDIBLY fast response. So my next question is, will I need a specific DSDT file for Mountain Lion? I wasn't able to find one in the database here (since this is an OEM computer) so I got a tool called AIDA64 which allowed me to save a DSDT file as .bin, but I'm not sure that will work on Mountain Lion. But do I even need it?

Thanks again for your advice :thumbup:

Wow thanks for the INCREDIBLY fast response. So my next question is, will I need a specific DSDT file for Mountain Lion? I wasn't able to find one in the database here (since this is an OEM computer) so I got a tool called AIDA64 which allowed me to save a DSDT file as .bin, but I'm not sure that will work on Mountain Lion. But do I even need it?

Thanks again for your advice :thumbup:

Almost all laptops will need a patched DSDT to make things work. But you don't want a DSDT from someone else or from another computer. Instead, you extract your own and change it via DSDT patches.

Your base DSDT from AIDA64 (although there are other ways to extact DSDT) is what you'll use to create a custom DSDT by applying patches (I recommend MaciASL).

But you don't just search out patches and blindly apply them. You try to install, and then based on the hardware you have and what is not working, you use DSDT patches to fix the issue, if it is applicable. It is a trial and error process with a few educated guesses thrown in there.

Ok that makes sense, thanks again for the help. I have one last question for now: Is it possible to dual boot (using the same hard drive with partitions) without having to reinstall windows?

Ok that makes sense, thanks again for the help. I have one last question for now: Is it possible to dual boot (using the same hard drive with partitions) without having to reinstall windows?

Not without a re-install. OS X needs GPT partitioning and Chimera needs Windows installed in legacy mode. Because of those two requirements, no matter if Windows is already installed legacy (MBR partitioning) or if Windows is installed on a GPT partition (UEFI mode), you will end up with a reinstall.

See here for a dual-boot guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

Or see my blog (link in signature) for a more comprehensive multi-boot guide.

I have system recovery DVDs from HP that has windows 7 on them, would those work? Or would I have to get windows 7 install disks or something of the sort, since the computer came with windows 7 pre-installed.

I have system recovery DVDs from HP that has windows 7 on them, would those work? Or would I have to get windows 7 install disks or something of the sort, since the computer came with windows 7 pre-installed.

Usually one of those is pretty much the same as a retail Win7 install disk. If that is the case... eg. when you run it, you reach the standard Windows installer, then you can probably use them for re-installation.

Ok I'm not sure I want to completely re-install my windows operating system and be without any operating system until I figure Mountain Lion out, so is it possible to install it on a backup drive that connects with a USB? It's 3TB hard drive, and its supported for both Apple and Microsoft operating systems.

Thanks again for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back