GeForce GTX 680
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi All,

I recently finished building my Hack Pro. I have a 3770K, paired with a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard running ML 10.8.3. I bought the IOGEAR GBU5321 Bluetooth 4.0 dongle, the one recommended in the buyer's guide.

When I plugged it into the USB 2.0 Port in my computer, it does not work. I then tried following this guide: http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=418322

After following the guide, in the system preferences' pane "Trackpad," the Trackpad became discoverable. However, after I tried pairing it, it failed.

Does anybody know how to fix this? Is this because I messed up the kext?

Here were my multibeast settings, if that matters. MB_TofuDawg.jpg

I just finished building my Hac Pro tonight and everything works perfectly....except the IOgear GBU521. I have the same mobo as the original poster, does anyone have an answer for this? I'm on 10.8.3 and have my MultiBeast settings the same as above as well.

Someone help! I hate using my $5 ghetto keyboard I used to get through the build and would much rather use Apple's keyboard/trackpad :D Thanks in advance!

Hi All,

I recently finished building my Hack Pro. I have a 3770K, paired with a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard running ML 10.8.3. I bought the IOGEAR GBU5321 Bluetooth 4.0 dongle, the one recommended in the buyer's guide.

When I plugged it into the USB 2.0 Port in my computer, it does not work. I then tried following this guide: http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=418322

After following the guide, in the system preferences' pane "Trackpad," the Trackpad became discoverable. However, after I tried pairing it, it failed.

Does anybody know how to fix this? Is this because I messed up the kext?

Here were my multibeast settings, if that matters. View attachment 53473

If I am not mistaking, IOGear 4.0 only works after sleep? Check the list again. I am using my Magic Mouse and Wireless Keyboard right now using IOGear 2.1 which doesnt work AFTER sleep.

I'm also using the GA-Z77X-UD5H with a i7-3770. I just got the GBU521 and it shows up in the system profiler but doesn't discover the magic trackpad.

Hi all, I had similar problems to what most the threads talk about when I purchased my first iogear dongle, I purchased as I believed it would wake from sleep.

i spent many an hour trying to fix and receiving every thread here, the problem was the dongle itself, I returned it to amazon who's sent me a new one and it worked first time perfectly and wakes from sleep which is just what I wanted.

i use an apple wireless keyboard and apple trackpad and both work fine.

I think I also read another thread where Simeon had similar changed their dongle and it worked, mine also works in the USB 4 socket.

So if you are struggling change the dongle and see if it works, did for me!
:thumbup:

Hi all, I had similar problems to what most the threads talk about when I purchased my first iogear dongle, I purchased as I believed it would wake from sleep.

i spent many an hour trying to fix and receiving every thread here, the problem was the dongle itself, I returned it to amazon who's sent me a new one and it worked first time perfectly and wakes from sleep which is just what I wanted.

i use an apple wireless keyboard and apple trackpad and both work fine.

I think I also read another thread where Simeon had similar changed their dongle and it worked, mine also works in the USB 4 socket.

So if you are struggling change the dongle and see if it works, did for me!
:thumbup:

Thanks. I'm going to order a new one and return this one. It's not working on any of my systems. Shows up in the system profiler, lights up blue on the device itself, but neither the keyboard or trackpad show up when attempting to pair. Also tried deleting the com.apple.Bluetooth.plist. No dice.

Amazon replacement shipped yesterday and arrived today... Works right out of the box! Problem solved. Thanks!

Note: I have it plugged into the Apple wired keyboard, which is plugged into a USB 2.0 port on the UD5H. No reception problems since the trackpad is only inches away. Also nice since it's completely hidden.

Nice kgarcia,

I put my gbu421 in the wired keyboard USB port and I got a message saying the USB device is not getting enough power. I guess the Bluetooth 4.0 dongle does use lespower. Nice.

After the built-in bluetooth on my GA-H77N-WIFI mobo stopped working mysteriously a few days after installing Mavericks and not being able to find a solution, I finally decided to buy the IOGEAR GBU521 being that it is the recommended BT dongle for the current buyer's guide. Well just as it seems to be in this thread and others here, the quality control for this product is downright ridiculous.

I too, like many others on this forum, seem to have purchased a defective unit that didn't even work a single time. Apparently this problem hasn't just happened randomly to a couple of tonymacx86.com forum posters either. After reading a few posts here in different threads confirming the same issues with QC and having to return units, I decided to check out the Amazon reviews from the supplied purchase link here. It seems there are a substantial amount of 1 star reviews for this product with most everyone describing the same problem: units that never worked or stopped working after only a brief period of operation.

All that being said, is there really not an equally compatible product on the market that is more dependable? I find it hard to believe that the answer to that is no. It is not my intent to question the expertise of the staff here, as I am extremely grateful for the benefit that their expertise has already provided me; however, I am really disappointed that this product made it in to the most current buyer's guide given its reputation.

First world problems I suppose, but I am not here to vent. I am here to let people know that they may want consider another product that may be more reliable and others have confirmed to work on a build similar to their own, as well as to perhaps inspire a staff approved alternative which would obviously reach an audience greater than only those combing the forums in frustration.

Thanks to the entire community for the free exchange of information and thanks to all who have donated to keep it going!

Crick

I just did a fresh install of 10.9 using a GA-H87N-WIFI motherboard and I couldn't get the IOGEAR GBU521 Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter to work. I tried everything and got so frustrated I removed the Intel 7260HMW Mini PCI Express Adapter from the motherboard.

Bluetooth Explorer showed it as active and I figured the system was trying to use the 7260HMW instead of the GBU521

This fixed it and now my IOGEAR GBU521 works!!!!

All you have to do is remove the one screw holding in the 7260HMW and pop off the two antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back