Contribute
Register

Intel NUC DC3217IYE & OS X 10.8.2 SUCCESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been eagerly following this thread but having looked at the benchmarks of the Intel i3 3225 against the i3 3217U, my enthusiasm has, unreasonably, dipped. Comparing a desktop CPU against a CPU designed for low powered ultrabooks is, I appreciate, daft and the i3 3217U with HD4000 is more than adequate for surfing and home cinema, but the benchmarks perhaps make shelling out the extra for an i5 Mac Mini, or going the i3 3225/Gigabyte Z77n-ITX or Asrock Z77e-ITX route, seem more appealing for a productivity environment in a still small form factor. I remain very interested in following this and seeing where Intel take the price and spec.

you're right to not try to compare the performance of the NUC to a big desktop with a fast proc and a fancy GPU. my daughter's high school lacrosse coach always told the girls: "you can have it all, just not at the same time".

for a box not much bigger than an apple TV, that you can pick up for $300, it's great for a home theater PC, an "internet machine", or maybe a file server for your home network, or other not too compute-intensive tasks.

i am using mine as an HTPC. i bought the thunderbolt version, and sprung for a seagate goflex thunderbolt adapter, and a 2TB sata 3 HD for media storage. to keep other costs down, i'm running from a 32gB USB stick, with my home folder relocated to my HD. sure, an SSD would be lightning fast to boot and open apps, that's not important to me in this use. i only have a single 4GB stick of 1333mhz memory (8 gb 1600 is in the mail). the 32-bit version of geekbench measures the machine at about 4000.

Going to order tomorrow with 64gb SSD hope enough for mac/few apps.

We need a guide on how to hackintosh this from start/finish! This will be my first hackintosh if I manage to get it working. With this low power use I probably just leave it on 24/7

I don't how is these are good deal when I recently got my 2011 Mac Mini Core i5 with Radeon 6630M for $600 clearance at Microcenter.

The thing I notice are these NUC have that ugly huge power supply sticking out while the Mac Mini doesn't have anything sticking out so I can run a long AC cord. I can play Diablo 3 and WOW on the Mini with very good framerates.

Hello fellow NUCer's!

Finally got my NUC YE up and running, pretty cool device, i'm very happy with it so far, just a couple of things:

1) Wich wifi cards are you guys using? I find a few that should be compatible but would like to hear which models have been confirmed running with the NUC and 10.8.2

2) I've always had the GFX memory set to 382mb, never changed it in BIOS (must be a different ver), how can we allocate more GFX memory to the GPU?

3) My system is still wrong and showing 1.7ghz, any ideas?

4) Is your sleep working? Mine isn't...

I'm sure it should make some graphic intense applications run even more smoothly, perhaps even the deskop?

Thanks to all of you who have helped getting this board running nicely!

Cheers

Hello fellow NUCer's!

Finally got my NUC YE up and running, pretty cool device, i'm very happy with it so far, just a couple of things:

1) Wich wifi cards are you guys using? I find a few that should be compatible but would like to hear which models have been confirmed running with the NUC and 10.8.2

2) I've always had the GFX memory set to 382mb, never changed it in BIOS (must be a different ver), how can we allocate more GFX memory to the GPU?

3) My system is still wrong and showing 1.7ghz, any ideas?

4) Is your sleep working? Mine isn't...

I'm sure it should make some graphic intense applications run even more smoothly, perhaps even the deskop?

Thanks to all of you who have helped getting this board running nicely!

Cheers

I had luck with a atheros-9280-mini-pci-e-card - working very nice at 10.8.2.

For 3) read #89 - #91 in this thread and check your cpu clock with hwmonitor.

My NUC DC3217IYE sleep and wake up absolute reliable - you can try my settings at page 6.
But sleep seems not to work for everybody like a charm.

Thanks withouaface!

i just update the bios to the latest version (36) and now I can't get the sound to work anymore!! :banghead:

Im not yet able to edit my own dsdt to modify it and get the sound to work, it's really frustrating I was wondering if anyone here could help me out!?

can't wait to get this machine running flawlessly, sound and sleep especially!!

Anyone can help me out please!?!? Otherwise I'm going to send it back....:(

cheers guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back