Contribute
Register

Intel Network adapters on OS X: Small Tree drivers

Edited my post above, but this should be the relevant line again:

Feb 9 18:22:00 Slowmotions-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: SmallTreeIntel8259x probe b3d0f0: Unsupported Card 0x0002

Got it.

Must be the card under "NPE7@3"

system.log:
Feb 9 18:22:00 Slowmotions-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: SmallTreeIntel8259x probe b3d0f0: Unsupported Card 0x0002
Feb 9 18:22:00 Slowmotions-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: SmallTreeIntel8259x freeResources b3d0f0: Entered freeResources

It seems to not like the subsystem id. Easy enough to fix by injecting RM,subsystem-id (and using FakePCIID). If you can determine which one it wants to see.

I inserted the 2 new files with kext utility and rebooted, but system.log still returns:

Feb 9 18:50:48 Slowmotions-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: SmallTreeIntel8259x probe b3d0f0: Unsupported Card 0x0002

FakePCIID is not loading, Post ioregistry.

I will be back tomorrow, maybe RehabMan can check your ioregistry.Otherwise I have another solution in mind.

Ok, thank you the-darkvoid (and RehabMan of course)!

Trying to grep for 'fake' in system-log returned this:

Feb 9 18:50:48 Slowmotions-Mac-Pro.local com.apple.kextd[12]: Kext id org.no-one.driver.FakePCIID not found; removing personalities from kernel

Here is the new ioreg:

Attachments

• x540_1.ioreg
    3.1 MB · Views: 160
Ok, thank you the-darkvoid (and RehabMan of course)!

Trying to grep for 'fake' in system-log returned this:

Feb 9 18:50:48 Slowmotions-Mac-Pro.local com.apple.kextd[12]: Kext id org.no-one.driver.FakePCIID not found; removing personalities from kernel

Not sure where that is coming from. We haven't used that bundle id for quite a while...

You might want to check that you have the correct/latest version of FakePCIID kexts... And check that your injector uses the correct bundle-id (org.rehabman.driver.FakePCIID).

Ok, the "no-one" bundle-id was from the FakePCIID_Intel_X540-AT2.kext Info.plist - I replaced that with "rehabman".

I then removed FakePCIID_Intel_X540-AT2.kext from /System/Library/Extensions and reinstalled it with kext utility, and rebooted.

FakePCIID now loads, and there's a new ethernet card in System Information! However the new nic is not visible in Network preferences, and grep -i smalltree /var/log/system.log' still returns:

Feb 9 19:39:10 localhost kernel[0]: SmallTreeIntel8259x probe b3d0f0: Unsupported Card 0x0002

UPDATE:
I edited the Info.plist of FakePCIID_Intel_X540-AT2.kext again, this time reverting to:
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>org.no-one.injector.Intel_X540-AT2 </string>

but leaving:
<string>org.rehabman.driver.FakePCIID</string>

then removed, reinstalled, rebooted.

The ethernet card now shows up in Network preferences! YAY! Unfortunately I can't test the native 10G speed, as we are waiting for CAT7a cables, but I will report back here with results for sure.

Thank you so much for the help and patience!

PS: Is the FakePCIID.kext part of MultiBeast? Searching for it on google only returns:
https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Fake-PCI-ID
Of course I have the files from the-darkvoid in this thread, but just wondering.

UPDATE:
I edited the Info.plist of FakePCIID_Intel_X540-AT2.kext again, this time reverting to:
<string>org.no-one.injector.Intel_X540-AT2 </string>

but leaving:
<string>org.rehabman.driver.FakePCIID</string>

then removed, reinstalled, rebooted.

The ethernet card now shows up in Network preferences! YAY! Unfortunately I can't test the native 10G speed, as we are waiting for CAT7a cables, but I will report back here with results for sure.

Thank you so much for the help and patience!

Sounds as if with the bundle-id fixed, it is working...

PS: Is the FakePCIID.kext part of MultiBeast? Searching for it on google only returns:
https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Fake-PCI-ID
Of course I have the files from the-darkvoid in this thread, but just wondering.

It is not in Multibeast. It is a relatively recent development.

Back