Contribute
Register

Intel HD 4000 + external GPU: make the external GPU primary display?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are not using the 0a or 0b framebuffer in your EFI injection, you will have a problem with HD4000/HDMI video as there are not a HDMI connector in the other framebuffers. Suggest the following:
1. make a bootable back up of your system
2. install Chimera 1.11.1 (sets the 0a framebuffer).
3. deleted device properties and graphicsenabler=yes in org.chameleon.Boot.plist
4. set the BIOS as my previous post
5. restart
6. it is likely you will have garbled displays; unplug and replug each display (this is a ML issue).

System Information/Graphics/Displays - HD4000/HD 6870. My HD3000/GTX 570 HD system looks the same.

I have now set GraphicsEnabler to "No", deleted my EFI string, and I am using Chimera 1.11.1. Booting without the EFI string results in the HD 4000 not being recognized (no kext is loaded). Booting with iGFX boot set to auto in bios results in no signal after Mountain Lion has loaded.

I have now set GraphicsEnabler to "No", deleted my EFI string, and I am using Chimera 1.11.1. Booting without the EFI string results in the HD 4000 not being recognized (no kext is loaded). Booting with iGFX boot set to auto in bios results in no signal after Mountain Lion has loaded.
My mistake, typo. Try step 3 again with the new wording.
3. delete device properties and set graphicsenabler=yes in org.chameleon.Boot.plist

My mistake, typo. Try step 3 again with the new wording.
3. delete device properties and set graphicsenabler=yes in org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Booting with GraphicsEnabler=Yes, without EFI string, and with the igfx set as primary, I get a kernel panic during boot. With igfx set to auto, booting is very slow and the HD 4000 is not recognized (only my GTX 570 shows up in system profiler).

Thank you for your help so far, I really appreciate it. Here's what my org.chameleon.boot.plist looks like at the moment (with the igfx not showing up in sys profiler):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x3000 darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Choose_Your_OS</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Booting with GraphicsEnabler=Yes, without EFI string, and with the igfx set as primary, I get a kernel panic during boot. With igfx set to auto, booting is very slow and the HD 4000 is not recognized (only my GTX 570 shows up in system profiler).
Regarding the KP, what is BIOS/iGPU memory set for? Use 64MB. For HD4000, when using auto iGPU/PEG, set Bios/iGPU Multi Monitor to Enabled.

I can't seem to find any iGPU Multi Monitor setting in my bios...
Try Advanced/System Agent Configuration/Graphics Configuration/
It might be listed as enable onboard graphics/always.

Have you tried running HD4000 only (remove the 570), getting that working and then installing the 570? What system definition are you using?

Try Advanced/System Agent Configuration/Graphics Configuration/
It might be listed as enable onboard graphics/always.

There's nothing there resembling anything related to what you are describing.

Have you tried running HD4000 only (remove the 570), getting that working and then installing the 570? What system definition are you using?

I have not recently tried running the HD4000 only. I did that a while ago, before I got the 570, and had it up and running, but I'm not sure how I had my boot.plist configured. I suppose I could try again with graphicsenabler and no EFI string, and see what happens.

My system definition is iMac 12,2.

I removed the 570 and the HD 4000 is up and running with GraphicsEnabler = Yes and without an EFI string.

I don't suppose it's possible to configure Chimera to ignore the 570 when GraphicsEnabler is enabled? So that it only does its magic for the HD 4000 and have Mountain Lion take care of the 570?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back