Contribute
Register

Installing Lion on a Dell Inspiron 1720 / 1520 [VERSION 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ellnic said:
Both partitions should be extended and journaled though. Don't feel like an idiot, we've all done similar things. I know I have ;-)

I have a slight problem here. When I restore BaseSystem.dmg to Lion_USB, it changes the formatting of the drive from journaled to extended. Is there a way to change it back? Boot remains journaled

Regardless, I redid the whole process and booted. This is what I got:

2iDQl.jpg

That message looped for ages, so I disabled bluetooth in the BIOS. After that, no bluetooth issues (obviously), but the machine still froze. I have 2 8gb drives on their way from play (both sandisk) so I will test on those sometime next week to rule out usb problems, but this thing is still baffling me :banghead:

Well I've been using VMWare Fusion 4.0.1 now for a few days with Parallels 7 completely uninstalled and I can report NO KP's using Lion 10.7.2. ;-)

Just an update:

Brand new flash drives came today, 2 8gb sandisk cruzer blades. Redid the whole setup, no success, and implemented all the adjustments suggested and no success.

Still the same issue.

Forgive my not as frequent posts, I've just landed a job thats not exactly local, and I have less time than usual during the week to reply.

Going to try and find a bit more info on the launchctl.c 2406 issues, to see if it solves anything and then maybe just attempt it via unibeast/easybeast instead.

I can't get VMWare Fusion to run Win 7 with Aero graphics without the VMWare video driver going nuts on me. It also jacked up my temps way too much. I decided to stick with parallels and I just need to close it when i'm not actively using it.

Ahh, you see I only run XP because I use it only for the odd thing and very rarely. I guess VMWare will do for me for now - but I would really like to change back to Parallels at some point. Please let me know if stability improves with subsequent OS / App updates. Btw, it would be worth noting that my KP's happened whether Parallels was running or not, I believe this is because of the kexts it installs.

I'll give it a spin thanks.

My problem is getting it to load up just to install it. I havent manage to start or complete the installation process yet. I'm going to be looking into this during the weekend and will try and keep you posted.

My dell vostro 1520 has an Nvidia 9300 and i got stuck at Bug: launchctl.c error.

Did anyone know how to solve that? I've tried with the latest chameleon someone linked earlier but it didn't worked, same issue... :|

I did just that and it let me install. However unibeast just hanged after a while trying to install. I agree unibeast is overkill, I was just trying to suss out what was causing my issues and figured I could slim things down once it's installed.

Just gone back to square one with these instructions and replaced chameleon with chimera 1.7.0 . Currently it's installing and there's no hanging, so fingers crossed :D

Thanks for all the help!

I have completed your instructions and everything went as planned as far as the USB is concerned. When I boot the USB, I am able to choose mac os x base system and then I get the message that says "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again."

When I boot verbose, I'm not sure how to find the error, but it says:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f8088f42b): "CPU 1 has no HPET assigned to it "@/SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement-166/pmThread.c:172
Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame: Return Address
0xffffff80790a3ef0 : 0xffffff80000220702
0xffffff80790a3f70 : 0xffffff7f808f42b
0xffffff80790a3fb0 : 0xffffff8000820057

Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (166.0) [7FCD8D98-D972-3973-A13B-DC551C536EE61@0xffffff7f80889000->0xffffff7f808b3fff

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task
Boot args: boot-uuid=8ED122EE-A719-399D-9A9B-6E16FB1B317B rd=*uuid -v

I know your tutorial is for an Insprion 1720 and I am using an Inspiron 1545, which may be part of the problem, but your tutorial was the only one I could find that dealt with installing Lion to a USB.

Please let me know if you can help!

Thanks!

First off: Thank you to OP for this thread. It's got me a working 10.7 install of Lion, which is pretty good.

Next up though, is updating. I'm on a Dell Vostro 1500, which I think is pretty identical to the Inspirons.

I've got 10.7.2 downloaded, but once I run the update, it fails to boot. The error I get is:

"TLB invalidation IPI timeout: "CPU(s) failed to respond to interrupts, unresponsive CPU bitmap: 0x1. NMIPI acks: orig: 0x0..

etc etc.

I have a backup that is bootable, so I can edit the files to hopefully fix it.

Any help would be great! :)

Hi everyone,
I found this website with this topic talking about my dell laptop which has the abilities to run mac OS, so I started to get interested about the fact and read all about it. It sounds great to use, I would really buy one "official" if I could from apple but way to expensive for me unfortunately. So I'm really wondering if it's worth to get a second HDD in my machine and try SL or Lion aside my 7.
My big question is will my laptop which is starting to get a little old be powerful enough to be comfortable in Lion or even Snow L ?

Thanks if you can help me =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back