Radeon HD 6850
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All,

I tried upgrading my Lion system to El Capitan but it seems that I must use the legacy option in Clover (which isn't supported for El Capitan) as I have a BIOS (F8) system and not UEFI. Is this possible? If I choose the legacy installer I get through the first wave of Installation and then after reboot am told 'cannot find mach_kernel.' I deleted the two lines of code advised for upgrading to El Capitan (one of which was the mach_kernel line).

If I choose UEFI installer I can't get past 'Loading Operating System.'

I was trying to upgrade but am willing to do a fresh install. My question is, do I need to flash my BIOS over to UEFI for El Capitan to work on my motherboard?

It seems I cannot find a version of Yosemite to download anywhere anymore so that option is off the table. Do I need a new motherboard or is there a workaround with this motherboard?

Thanks.

Can anyone offer any insight? I'm desperate to get this working ASAP, projects are backing up! :(

Ok now I have gotten through the installation and installed all of the post-install stuff, and upon restart I cannot load the OS without the USB, and even then, I sometimes get the following kernel panic, something about a CPU 6 something or other:

Any help?

Attachments

• IMG_4390.jpg
    IMG_4390.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 221
If you install NullCPUPowerManagement.kext you should get past that kernel panic. But you won't get proper CPU power saving unless you then e.g. install a working CPU SSDT.aml and remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. Still, it should get you past the crash.

I tried upgrading but that didn't work, so I erased the disk and did a new installation. That worked for me. Then I found out you can use the migrate assistant in El Capitan to get your files and programs back, also from a start up disk. Haven't tried this yet but I'm sure that'll work.
So I would do a fresh install in your case.
And I strongly advise anyone (like is said before) to do your experiments on a separate, stand alone disk. Use copyclone.
I mean, what's the price of a disk?

Hey.

I also have the Gigabyte Z68X motherboard (with GTX570 + CPU i5 2500K) and have BIOS and NOT UEFI.
Because i have a perfect Mountain Lion system running i don´t want to mess with the BIOS (just in case)

I don´t get it past the "missing mach kernel" message ...

Can you please tell me what you did to get past this message - and can you give me / us a little! tutorial?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back