Contribute
Register

Installed Lion, ran MultiBeast, restarted, now no display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
This is really strange, because everything seemed to be working fine.

1. Booted from USB, installed Lion.
2. Copied MultiBeast and DSDT to HD.
3. Ran MultiBeast with a few options selected.
4. Restart and the screen is completely blank. I don't even see the BIOS when powering up. How could that happen?

I just booted with an rBoot disc and heard things spinning up, but I can't see anything. Does it make any sense that the displays wouldn't work before even booting into OSX?

Totally perplexed about where to go from here because I can't even get into the BIOS now. Did my graphics card completely fail?

Thanks,
Matt

Pull the power cord and let the machine set for 5 or 10 minutes. The restore power and see if your screen comes up and you can get into the BIOS.

If this does not get you back to normal, pull your owner guide and go through the reset the CMOS process, usually moving a jumper with the power off. And then there is the "pull the back up battery" way of resetting things. Each of these you will need to re-enter the BIOS and reset everything.

Post your progress.

neil

matts said:
This is really strange, because everything seemed to be working fine.

1. Booted from USB, installed Lion.
2. Copied MultiBeast and DSDT to HD.
3. Ran MultiBeast with a few options selected.
4. Restart and the screen is completely blank. I don't even see the BIOS when powering up. How could that happen?

I just booted with an rBoot disc and heard things spinning up, but I can't see anything. Does it make any sense that the displays wouldn't work before even booting into OSX?

Totally perplexed about where to go from here because I can't even get into the BIOS now. Did my graphics card completely fail?

Thanks,
Matt

Have you tried to reset your bios? Do you have an overclock at all?

Thanks, I'm going to try to get into the BIOS and then reset the CMOS if I can't get into it. I don't overclock.

Also, I should add then right after installing Lion, I went into the BIOS to change the boot order and all my settings were gone. That should not happen, correct? So what does that indicate?

Also, I should add that I had this system running Snow Leopard for two years. I followed this Lifehacker install to the t: http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-bu ... -to-finish
I was having in intermittent issue with spinning beach balls with this install, so I wanted to wipe it and start clean.

Here's an update of what I've been doing since my first post:

1. I thought the graphics card had failed so I switched it into another system and it worked. I put another graphics card in this system and it worked.
2. It seems as if my monitors aren't properly registering the video signal from the graphics card. Nothing shows up unless I push 'source', 'auto', 'menu' on my Samsung SyncMaster 2343BWXs. Since they were working fine before undertaking this process, I am inclined to think there is nothing wrong with them and it is something going on with the video card.
3. The rBoot CD is in the drive and when I power on it boots to the menu. However, the displays do not show the normal boot process prior to the rBoot menu. I thought maybe I made some wrong choices in MultiBeast, so I boot into the USB and reinstalled Lion.
4. I ran MultiBeast using a DSDT for an EP45-UD3P F9 that I found here: http://www.osx86.net/view/299-ga-ep45-ud3p.html
Following the Lifehacker instructions here: http://lifehacker.com/hackintosh
I did my best to choose the minimum of what I need. MultiBeast completed its install.
5. I restarted and still nothing displayed before the rBoot menu. Selected the new Lion HD install and it boots up into a Lion but the graphics are set to the wrong resolution. Detecting Displays does give me a any other resolution options. Prior to running MultiBeast, the graphics resolution was perfect.

I don't know if all that I have written helps you to understand what is going, but thank you for your help. I'm going to go through the power down now (and then CMOS reset if that doesn't work).

Thanks,
Matt

Update: Powering down for 5-10 minutes worked and I can now see the boot process. Boots into Lion, but it is not detecting my video card properly and is not displaying the correct resolution.

I didn't check any of the Graphics settings in MultiBeast. Perhaps the DSDT I chose is not a good one?

Would there be any benefit to me still resetting the CMOS?

Thanks,
Matt

UPDATE: I figured it out. Now if I could just get audio and the App Store working properly...

matts said:
UPDATE: I figured it out. Now if I could just get audio and the App Store working properly...

You just need to figure out your audio chip set and use the right option in multibeast.

*8*8*8*Edit
I googled for ya. Realtek ALC889A

Thanks HoochSheperd,

I believe I have the right kexts installed for that. Here's what I had selected in MultiBeast:
ALC8xxHDA
AppleHDA Rollback
ALC889a

Also, any tips on getting App Store to work? I worked through the instructions (both versions) on this thread and no luck.
viewtopic.php?f=169&t=31774&p=243157#p243157

matts said:
Thanks HoochSheperd,

I believe I have the right kexts installed for that. Here's what I had selected in MultiBeast:
ALC8xxHDA
AppleHDA Rollback
ALC889a

Also, any tips on getting App Store to work? I worked through the instructions (both versions) on this thread and no luck.
viewtopic.php?f=169&t=31774&p=243157#p243157

Post your plist files screenshots identified in the methods in the above thread, Mak 1 should identify what is going wrong with your plist if you have done all three methods.

I've been working with him in another thread. For some reason I can't get Lnx2Mac to work on my machine. The Realtek driver is working, but I'm not able to get it to work with the App Store fix. Got any ideas why that may be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back