Contribute
Register

[In Progress] Probook 4x40s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I followed the guide on both of my 4540s - everything works. In fact, I think 4x40s is better and more reliable than 4x30s. You need to skip any graphics related fixes in ProBook Installer as it does not apply to 4x40s.

You may use this GUIDE as a reference for 4x40s: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/89033-guide-probook-4340s-ivy-bridge-i3-3110m-c4y15ea.html. I would add:
Optional hardware-specific fixes -> EDID generator
Misc OS X fixes -> Sleep fix ->Sleep image fix (if you are using SSD)
Extra Tools -> Trim enabler (if you are using SSD)

You may also check what is difference between 4x30 and 4x40 here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...ut-whats-awesome-about-laptop.html#post606270. I could second these findings.

My 4430s was giving me trouble with freezes and wake up issues, but after disabling Graphics glitch fix - it appears to work stable so far... So it looks like the fix was causing issues on 4430s, instead of helping it, figures...

Just did 2 fresh installs. 10.84 and pb 6.1

Strange to see bluetooth icon available when the stock wifi card is an intel. but still no wifi. waiting for new bcd/ath card to arrive.

Not really strange. Bluetooth has nothing to do with WiFi. Although they often exist on the same card, they are separate devices. So just because you have incompatible WiFi and BT exists on the same card, does not mean that the BT there is unsupported...

- Probook installer request: an EDID option for "ProBook 4x40s" ? or similar?
Apart from the small difference in label, is there anything technical different, like special settings specific to 4x40s models?

The label is just cosmetic.

- 4k format drives. is there an easy way to remind the user during or after install, the system is using a 4k format drive and they have to do the 4k solution thing? helps to avoid the wtf moments on the 1st restart after a fresh install, and not boot into os x.

The "reminder" is the fact that you get the boot0 error and that it is covered in the guide at that step...

If label is cosmetic, can we add to the probook installer 2 options to pick ( and include a caption for the user it is just cosmetic, and does'nt affect other functions)
- 4x30s
- 4x40s

Probably best to request that in the PBI v6.1.x thread so philip_petev sees it...

I guess you could include a side note at the beginning of your guide "Check if you use 4k/AF hdd" if yes go read step 15 before proceeding , to remind the user not to panic, this helps noobs like me in cases if they did a multi boot system.

I think the text in step 15 covers all bases, multi-boot or not...

i'll try another fresh install. In a multiboot system with 2 osx installs, does the user install chimera only once on any osx volume, or once on each respective osx volume? whats the best thing todo?

Although installing on each volume is not really necessary (it will work if installed on just one), installing on each volume gives you access to command line utilities like bdmesg from Terminal when running each instance of OS X...

@appleiscool

What is the status of your 4x40s install? Post #1 is impossible to follow...

update: 4x40s install is operational. see post " #1 "
Code:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/102684-progress-probook-4x40s.html#post627158

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back